Blunkett resigns

Iceni

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From being blind at birth, I doubt whether as a younster, he would have been encouraged or even offered the type of career he has achieved in high level government. I doubt if he would have been "fastracked" into this career, probably the opposite.

Personally I  have to admire the chap for the determination and sheer grit he must have had to overcome his handicap and to achieve such a position, even though I did not necessarily agree with his politics.

Paul

I don't care about his love affair; I don't care about the love child; I don't care about his blindness or struggle to the top.

As the Home Sec I do care that he didn't know the rules on official rail tickets and government cars; I do care that 1 or 2 visa applications were "a bit quicker"; I do care that people are being held indefinately without trial (3 cheers for the law lords; didn't the French Gov get a kicking under the same human rights legislation over holding eta suspects)

I'm very glad he's gone.

S

[quote]True, Val, but it's obviously a well-recognised phenomenon. There's a cartoon in Private Eye (them again!), it's a picture of some Brit expats sitting drinking round a table somewhere very sunny and...[/quote]

Well that sums it up very nicely S.B.!

BTW I am curious to know why Mazan thinks he will maybe return to live in the much despised U.K. when he is very old, is this because he will be too senile to notice or care about what goes on?

Gill

So you are glad that DB has now gone,are you happy with a marxist and the same guy which spent a year living in cuba studying castro in`78 taking over at the home office,as for the detention issue,if they went  on to blow you or yours up would you still be carping on in the way you are.Glad

Nice place Cuba, I must visit sometime...

If there's evidence bring them to trial, if there is not then that's tough.  We can't just lock people up for no justifiable reason, this living in fear cr&p is a con.  An afraid public cling to a strong government, both Bush and Blair know this, don't fall for it.

S

Because they deserve it. Blunkett is a vindictive and hypocritical creep who would ban everything, control everything, forbid everything yet at the same time abuses his position and cheats the taxpayer for whom he works. No one needs politicians like him. In the light of recent revelations about his personal life I suspect that he is also quite literally insane. We shall see.

"Two-jags" Prescott is just an overweight and incoherent thug who missed his calling as a security guard.

Well Mazan

I once thought you spoke with sensibility, albeit on Techno affairs. You have now sunk to uttering gutter politics so easily found in many bars all over the UK (and abroad, thanks SB, for that wonderful quote from Pri. Eye) and have quoted chapter and verse from any red top headline.

Blunkett is a vindictive and hypoctitical creep, "Two jags" Prescott is just an incoherent thug.....

You have carried on the pattern in your own post, has the irony been lost on you ?

I don't intend to return permanently to the UK at least until I'm near death myself but the UK is where I come from and they still issue my passport. Therefore the high jinks of the man who influences the cost of my passport, how many biometric features it should contain and what sort of ID card should go with it is of interest to me.

Sorry but I reckon that is a load of tosh, to put that as a reason, is to simply undermine the intelligence of this forum. "I might be back but if not I still need to keep abreast of the situation" is what you are saying, absolute rubbish, it's simply a political stance, no more. no less.

Sackings or resignations are, for the most part, futile in the UK. What people are asked to resign for, don't get a glance in most of the other nations. As a nation, the newspapers for lack of anything else sensational to report on, will sniff out these so called "extra marital relationships" and suffocate readers with full coverage.

"It's what the readers want" they cry out, then demand their resignation. Not because the person is not good at his job but simply because the paper needs headlines and the opposition want a head to kick about. It's called turning out others lights to make ones shine brighter. Short term gains and ineffective on many occasions. Bribery and corruption, yes aim them out and quickly but what he did was not anything more than a favour and not surely worth all this bother, was it, if so, then it's time to wake up and see that is what politics all over the world is about. Sack any politician for doing a favour and the commons would see just a handful arrive for work.

As I said, I felt the same way as some other political judges, would Blunkett have had his mind on a job that is an extremely difficult post at the best of times and with all this going on around him, I feel he could not have carried on and was correct to resign.

One point you have missed, Miki, is that every MP in the UK holds a surgery every week or so in which constituents line up to ask the MP to do something for them - what the press would call 'a favour'. That is often putting a rocket up some official or putting pressure on a government department - I know, I end up dealing with some of them - often asking for some financial advantage for a member of the public, such as a lenient decision on whether or not a particular student gets a grant or whatever. That's called 'being a good constituency MP'. When a minister does it, however, it's supposedly corruption. That is the hypocrisy.

The trouble with the people who just spout right-wing slogans and silly names is that they really don't have any idea how the system actually works - like the suggestion in a post recently that speeding fines would go to the Labour Party to help fight the next general election. In Central America, maybe...

(Why is owning two Jags such a bad thing? Can anybody tell me?)

Not that I care really whether he went or not as he will simply be replaced by somebody who will be found to be "flawed in some way or other.  But it seems to me that if one of the most powerfull people in the UK carries on like one of "Trisha's" guests he cannot be trusted to show clear thinking in helping to run GB Plc.

weedon

Hi Dick Smith,

You are right of course, having 2 Jags is OK; having 2 jags while wanting everybody else to get out of their car and take the train/bus/walk/cycle is not.  Why does ODPM have an enormous car park under Eland house?

Regards

Simon

[quote]"The UK is well rid of this vindictive, two-faced creep. One of the nastiest ever to darken the Commons." That may be the view of one outsider looking in, but it certainly isn't the majority view in...[/quote]

Man of integrity and decency ? He was a lazy, simple-thinking right wing thug.

Bl**dy good riddance.

[quote]I am sure that Clark is right. The last 2 sackings I can recall were Enoch Powell being shown the door by Ted Heath and Boris Johnson being given the boot by Michael Howard - but they were both 'shad...[/quote]

Aitken and Hamilton lost in 1997 ; Aitken in Thanet South to Steven Ladyman (?), Hamilton famously in Tatton to Martin Bell ; both had huge majorities overturned.

Did they have ministerial rank at the times of their disgrace, and were they fired or did they resign? The point made was that ministers are never fired, they are asked to return their portfolio, so bleating about sacking ministers is yet another example of complaining about a system without taking the trouble to find out how it works. If the minister chooses not to go...

I still don't see why JP shouldn't own 2 Jags. Would advice that smoking is dangerous 'not count' if the minister in charge was a smoker? I have a car but go to work by train (mind you, I'd have an official car if I could).

Aitken and Hamilton lost in 1997 ; Aitken in Thanet South to Steven Ladyman (?), Hamilton famously in Tatton to Martin Bell ; both had huge majorities overturned

So it will interesting to see how the consituents of Mr Blunkett's see his case at the next election, in comparison to how electors see corrupt M.P's, like those above. And don't reply that Blunkett sees a nice majority, because those mentioned, as you say, had rather large majorities !

If you think what Mr Blunkett did was simply corrupt, as far as I am concerned, sorry, it can only be due to political posturing.

Just an after thought but as Wendy said earlier, it would appear that an awful  lot of people in the UK see that he was simply hit upon by a woman scorned and her airing dirty washing is what the red tops and many people just love to see............. all in the name of politics ? Oh no it's not, its something else and we all know really why Mr Blunkett is being slaughtered, pure gutter press and want of another political party to be in power.

[quote]Nice place Cuba, I must visit sometime... If there's evidence bring them to trial, if there is not then that's tough. We can't just lock people up for no justifiable reason, this living in fear cr...[/quote]

Good point. It is interesting to consider that governments might actually need unpleasant things like terrorists and crime to justify their own existence, even to the extent (Algeria a few years ago, perhaps) of sponsoring them themselves. Take the threats away or diminish them and all of a sudden these people are just silly little men / women who's alternative fate would be middle management.

Miki

If the former President of the People's Democratic Republic of Sheffield is reselected to stand for Labour at the next election he will get in. Most UK voters go by colour of ticket rather than qualities (stet) of the individuals standing. There are exceptions but not very often.

As an aside both Cook and Blunkett seem to me (a mere male) to be particularly unattractive but is it something about power or what ?

I often refer to His Holiness Emperor Bliar in disparaging terms - because I do not respect him or nothing/everything for which he pretends to stand. Why ? He has amplified the disregard that MilkSnatch had for Parliament to new levels - each new "initiative" is launched by PR handout rather than via the House. Appearance in Westminster is limited to soundbite opportunities e.g. PMQ time now at noon on Wednesdays I believe - so timed to catch the lunchtime news perhaps ? I have never had the opportunity to vote for a Prime Minister though in years to come who knows - perhaps President is nearer than we think.

John not

This is Di

So we are supposed to respect and think nothing is wrong in a man who not only cuckolds another man and gets his wife pregnant, he then goes on to do it all over again. Shows that he has very little moral value. He also uses his position to get a nanny one or two visas, how many British men have wives that they love and want to have with them in the UK but cannot because the Home office will not play ball, obviously the common man cannot love the way that a minister can.

Take goodly Mr Bliar and his wife - the first lady, they will not tell if their youngest has had a vaccination which could be the cause (note I only said could) of major illness in children. If the young lad has had the triple, just say yes, their silence only makes many parents think that they have not gone along with their own ruling - so there must be a problem.

Not keeping your trousers/knickers on has never been proof of a bad politician (personally I think Mr Clinton was a brilliant president - but that again is personal) - using your position to give an advantage to your bedfellow must and should be viewed as an abuse of power. They are not voted in to publicly abuse their power though we are all pretty sure that they all do it.

Are we all so rotten to the core that we no longer expect those that tax us, send our young people to war - perhaps to be killed, that make the rules to protect us, should be honest - or almost honest at least, or is 'rotten to the core' now to be viewed as normal in the UK. We get the government we deserve...

I don't know enough about the French to say how they would behave, but from what I know, they keep private, private. Mr Blunkett did something to cause this woman to destroy her life and that of her child and unborn child - to misquote, 'hell hath no fury like a woman scorned'. I cannot remember the exact words.

Personally I think he got everything he deserved, I feel very sorry for his children, however many it may turn out he has.

Paulrlinux:

"He was a lazy, simple-thinking right wing thug."

Can you corroborate those harsh words with any facts? I don't see how a lazy, blind man can get to be the third most powerful person in the country. His time as Home Secretary has been notable for the extraordinary amount of work he has got through.

These schoolyard insults would be more meaningful if they related to something in the real world.

I am curious to know why Mazan thinks he will maybe return to live in the much despised U.K. when he is very old, is this because he will be too senile to notice or care about what goes on?

No. I shall be going where I have a bit of family left to keep an eye on me before I die. That is most likely to be the UK.
I won't be going until I am totally crippled or have something terminal, at which point I will no longer care about anything as pointless as politics.

Blunkett is a vindictive and hypoctitical creep, "Two jags" Prescott is just an incoherent thug.....

You have carried on the pattern in your own post, has the irony been lost on you ?

I am neither vindictive, nor hypocritical nor incoherent nor a thug. All I did was give my opinion of them and most if not all of it can be backed up by recorded fact. I am entitled to give my opinion about public figures.

I don't intend to return permanently to the UK at least until I'm near death myself but the UK is where I come from and they still issue my passport. Therefore the high jinks of the man who influences the cost of my passport, how many biometric features it should contain and what sort of ID card should go with it is of interest to me.

Sorry but I reckon that is a load of tosh, to put that as a reason, is to simply undermine the intelligence of this forum. "I might be back but if not I still need to keep abreast of the situation" is what you are saying, absolute rubbish, it's simply a political stance, no more. no less.

Wrong again. What I said was the absolute truth. When I am too old or too ill to live alone I will go where the remnants of my family are. They owe me one and can keep an eye on me in my dotage. As the place they will be will most likely be the UK, and as my passport comes from there, I like to keep an eye on what goes on there. That's why I vote there but don't vote here. I have no intention of being here much longer and in a few years all ties will be severed and I will not be back.

I have no "political stance" and it is foolish of you to suppose that you have any knowledge of me and what I do, and why.

I do plan ahead though, whenever possible.

Why is owning two Jags such a bad thing? Can anybody tell me?

There's no problem with owning Jags, though they are pointless petrol-guzzlers and if possible I would tax them and all other such wasteful cars very heavily. Say £10000 per year road tax.

The problem with Prescott is that he uses two Jags and two chauffeurs all paid for by the UK taxpayer. Add to that the fact that he is an incoherent thug (this is on record) and this makes him undesirable as an MP or as anything else for that matter.

>>I have little time for aforementioned Mr Blunkett and his various shenanigans, but I hardly think a married woman who gets pregnant by a man who is not her husband is whiter than white - or have I missed something?<<<

......Especially a woman who has plotted quite callously to achieve that result. Firstly she asks her husband to have his vasectomy reversed then proceeds to sleep with another man while undergoing fertility treatment.

Having lead the real father to believe that they have a future together, and willingly encouraged him to build a relationship with the child, she now affects surprise when she feels like ending the relationship and he doesn't want to play ball (excuse the expression)

The disregard she has shown for her husband, her lover, and her son is breathtaking.

I think in the land of her birth she would qualify as 'trailer trash'

Sadly its the children who will, no matter what happens about access etc, be the ones to pay the price of her utter folly.

Again your lack of knowledge of the system you rail against lets you down. Like any minister JP has the use of an official car and a driver when on official business and to and from his home (not 2 Jags and a couple of chauffeurs - the Jags in question are not official cars, they are his own property, and he drives them himself). He has on occasion used public transport, but all ministers do that from time to time, it seems to satisfy an inner need they have. Others (including D Blunkett and C Clarke) walk to their offices.

Given that ministers tend to have fairly full schedules of public engagements and meetings the use of official cars makes some sense. Then there are security issues (we need to keep the public safe). For longer journeys they tend to go by train if that is convenient, but it is getting harder to do as the railways are not very reliable. All MPs go back to their constituencies once a week and for this they are allowed a travel warrant (1st class rail) for themselves and their families. One of the complaints against DB was that he allowed Kimberley Quinn to use a travel warrant issued to him as though she was a member of his family. What other MPs who are not married but have same or other sex partners do I don't know, but I imagine that a blind eye is turned.

Of course if you have a petrol-guzzling car (as I do) then you pay extra tax, which seems to be a fair arrangement.

£10,000 a year road tax? Tell me, is the weather nice on your planet?