Nasty smelly things!

SueV

Hi

Can anyone tell what the nasty smelly anti-mite things are that come in bags and look like sweets.   Are these mothball type things or are they something to do with termites?   The house we have just bought had open bags of them in every room and it has taken considerable effort to get rid of the smell.   My husband is concerned that I might of got rid of something necessary, but I really don't want them there if I can avoid it.   My house is empty most of the time as it is a holiday home.   Any advice?

thanks, SueV

I've never seen these but I should guess they are for mice. Our house had little piles of coloured rice which was anti - mouse when we moved in. Perhaps the smell is from the mice that have eaten from them and left their "mark".They are incontinent animals. Getting rid of termites is a bit more complicated and expensive. Pat.

Does sound like anti-mice.

Was the smell "mousey", "chemically", "foody"? Or something else?

I've put down two different types, one which was pellets, (which the mice ate, and, presumably, perished), and the other which was wheat-based,(and which the mice ignored, or have they ALL gone?)

Neither smelled VERY strong, but others may?

Alcazar

No its not for mice  - there was lots of mice bait there as well!   These have a strong mothball type smell and I have seen them in the supermarkets they come in packets like large bags of bon-bon type sweets - but they are white and opaque!

Sue

Ah, they really are 'moth balls' but keep all kinds of things at bay.

Info, they are made of napthalene (?sp) and very flammable (napalm/naptha - just a wee bit similar).

They are supposed to be carcenogenic. I use them in large plastic boxes that we keep our clothes in while the renovation goes on. I would also put them in a loft if I had one to stop the elephants that tend to tip-toe around up there (seems mice and other things like loft spaces).

To be quite honest, I was brought up with them, they were always stuck in pockets of coats etc and as someone who has had to throw an expensive wool coat and a couple of cashmere scarves away before we came over, I wish I had carried on using them in the good old way - I certainly will over here but not in wardrobes in the bedroom. We also never had moths in our few carpets when I was young so I would say they work.

In my experience moths are just as likely to eat your woollen items if you are there as if you are not. Both sides of the channel.