I got.......

Val_2

A digital camera on Saturday free with my Super U fidelity points.For us this is a luxury item as our money goes on the house and business and it cost nothing. For an absolute technophobe it is so easy to use and has 3.2 megapixies or something,which my neighbour who is an ex-professional photographer dosn't have on his very expensive camera. Sent some photos through the PC to the family who said they came out really clear. Not bad for 4200 points instead of the normal 6400 as it is their 30th birthday. Apparently they had a very long list of clients asking for them too. So if anyone is thinking about exhanging their points,I can recommend the product personally.

A digital camera is a truly wonderful thing. Sending photos to friends and family....and there need never be another 'bad' picture of any of us. Hit that delete button, it's gone forever.

Val2 I discovered after a couple of weeks that mine can do a 10 second video too. We got some lovely candid little videos, of children playing, while we thought we were just preparing to take a photo.

tresco

I love love love my digital camera. But it's very distressing when the battery fails just as the sunset turns particularly spectacular or two swallowtail butterflies are flitting elegantly on the lavender flowers. And the little movies seem to drain batteries quite quickly. Recommendation: buy a second battery and carry it with you.

[quote]I love love love my digital camera. But it's very distressing when the battery fails just as the sunset turns particularly spectacular or two swallowtail butterflies are flitting elegantly on the lave...[/quote]

If and when I ever update my digital camera, one of the essential things it must have is that it takes 'normal' AA or AAA batteries so that wherever you are you can just pop another couple in without having to wait to charge up the lithium battery. I have two lithiums and am still left without a functioning camera on occasions!

My OH 'lost' my camera the other week when he borrowed it (without asking) and I thought I was in line to get a spanking new one in the sales - until I found it....... in the wheelie bin !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, the upside of these things is the way you can delete rubbish if it didn't work. On most you can set them to take multiple exposures while you keep the shutter depressed, for eg: if your kids want a photo of them diving into the pool. Then you review, and delete all but the one you want.

Also excellent for sending snaps to folk.

Downside, although not so bad now, is that price/difficulty of getting professional prints done, made digital prints a bit like slides of old: you needed to look at them via a viewer: the computer.

My local UK camera shop now does 50 6x4 prints for £5

Alcazar

I used to use my digitals a lot, but then I realised that I didn't have any prints to keep in a box and go through later (years later) when inebriated and nostalgic, so now I have gone back to film. I am also still fooled by the slight delay when I fire the shutter - when using flash the subject has sometimes left the room by the time it fires!

Dick: I know what you mean about shutter delay It can also be made worse in that many cheaper, and even some very expensive digitals, take up to 4 seconds from turning the camera on, to being READY to fire, let alone shutter delay!

The more modern the camera, the less shutter delay it has, and some are almost instantaneous.

I've recently invested in a Nikon D70, which is a digital SLR. It certainly isn't pocket sized, but it is instantly ready when switched on and has no shutter delay whatsoever. Add to that the fact that you are using top quality Nikon lenses, all glass, no plastic and a CCD which is MUCH larger than a compact camera's, and the photos are stunning.

It's available online for about £600 at the mo, (some places are doing £100 cash back too), and yes, I do think the extra over a compact is worth it, having used both.

Prints? As I said, my local camera shop will do me 50 6x4 for £5. 7x5 are a little dearer, but not much.

Home printers? Canon all the way, but you need your camera to be Pict-Bridge enabled (modern ones are) to get the best of the printers available.

Otherwise you have a largish printer with inbuilt software for reading cards.

The new canon Pixma 90 is about £200, available March 2005.

Alcazar

I think I'm just old-fashioned! Nikons + Epson Scanner + Mac/Photoshop + Epson Photo printer, but when using film I have the advantage of a record 5x7 plus the scanned negative on file, so that I get the best of both. I have looked at the digital Nikon SLRs, but I don't think I can justify the expense at the moment. I'm sure I will in time...

[quote]Has anyone got one of those photo printers - I'm hopeless at doing them on the ordinary printer.[/quote]

Yes, I have a Canon photo printer and always use canon paper. The most expensive part of using a photo printer is the cost of the inks. In fact I am in the process of using it now to make some prints from photos taken recently.

When sizing a photo nowadays I try to avoid resorting to inches in order to become more comfortable with cms. It is such a long time since I've used an ordinary printer(not photo, that is) that I've forgotten what their limitations are.

As regards batteries for digital cameras one requires several sets. Using the camera in the advanced mode just eats up battery power and you always need to carry spares when going out and about. Sometimes, if at all possible, I would take the computer and download images on the spot. Buying a card that takes many images is preferable too. In fact have as many as you can afford for sometimes one may wish to take a photo in Hi resolution and that certainly takes up memory.

Most of the time I use my camera set in the 'fine' mode.

According to our dentist the new digital cameras of at least 8 million pixels can take photos in poor light without the use of flash but that they are rather delicate in damp or sandy conditions. But then most cameras are, surely?