How much oil have you used this winter?

We,ve got 2 huge tanks each holding 1000 litres each, I,d say we,ve used approx half of that since the end of October (still on)and we,re currently using 11 radiators. Do you have your system serviced every year. Our first winter was very cold and the heating didn,t appear to work properly. We than had it serviced and it worked like a dream, much more efficient, hotter and used less fuel.

Janey

[quote]We,ve got 2 huge tanks each holding 1000 litres each, I,d say we,ve used approx half of that since the end of October (still on)and we,re currently using 11 radiators. Do you have your system serviced...[/quote]

What are you paying for filling up Janey/Scooydoo, say per 800 litres?  Is the price still quite high at the moment and is it worth shopping around?

Georgina

Have used 1000ltrs since last April and bought another 1000 yesterday at .4523 euros per litre plus TVA. We only have 7 of our 10 rads on at the moment as one huge room isn't finished/insulated yet but has rads installed.

Price seems to have gone down since last week when we ordered as we were quoted .50 per litre

[quote]Have used 1000ltrs since last April and bought another 1000 yesterday at .4523 euros per litre plus TVA. We only have 7 of our 10 rads on at the moment as one huge room isn't finished/insulated yet bu...[/quote]

Hi-where do you get oil at this price? I was just about to order from Carrefour but they are charging .52 per litre for 1000+ litres.

This subject came up a little while ago on our own Normandy forum. I suppose since turning the heating on in October we've probably got through near enough 1500 litres, but we haven't been cold, and it is a rather big house, I'd hate to count the number of radiators.

We normally combine our order for oil with our farming neighbours and get a whole tanker load between us, which is more economical than just getting 1000 litres or so, even through the supermarkets.
Our last top-up, just before Christmas, worked out at 0.409€ per litre (including taxes etc) for 700 litres. I think we've got through most of that now but it has been cold outside. 

I suppose we've used about 400 litres since last November.  We've got between 7 and 13 rads going and the same boiler does all hot water too.  Thankfully it has only really been the last week or so where the heating has had to be on all day otherwise it's on between 17.00 and 22.00 in the evening.  The hot water is on all day every day though.

Georgina, I think when we ordered it in Sept it was approx 0.50 per litre. I,d been waiting since July for the price to go down but it didn,t. Worked out quite expensive as last winter it was something silly like 0.33 per litre.

Janey

[quote]Georgina, I think when we ordered it in Sept it was approx 0.50 per litre. I,d been waiting since July for the price to go down but it didn,t. Worked out quite expensive as last winter it was somethin...[/quote]

Thanks Janey, it's good to know what you are paying.  I take it the more you have the cheaper it is.  I remember my french neighbour trying to tell me to say there are two prices, and well, it translated that he said I should ask for the cheaper one.  I don't know really what he meant.

Georgina

There are two types of heating oil. One is ordinary fioul and the other has additives to prevent the fioul freezing. Obviously the one with the additives is more expensive. A local supplier, yesterday, was quoting .478 and .500 per litre.

Judie

[quote]We seem to have used a lot this winter, maybe the boiler needs servicing but i'd like to know if its normal, we have used about 800 litres since mid December. We are running 9 radiators[/quote]

Scooby. Try balancing your system on the rads ie closing the return valves nearly off so heat emmision is through the rads causing resistance and not wasted under the floors. it would make a bit of difference.With 9 rads it probably only needs the pump set on two if its varible head,if you a hws cyl and a valve on the return allso knock that down by half.in mild weather the stat on the boiler only needs to be on 2. I have 20 rads and still not used 8oo lts since oct.

• 2 weeks later...

Consider yourselves lucky.  We completed our purchase on 20th Dec 04 and have use 1,700 litres since then.  Boiler is relatively new (3 years old) and we have 10 radiators, although we only use 5 with thermostats.  Boiler does both heating and hot water. 

We had heating guy round and he is fitting a computer controller next week so we can specify when the heating comes on and hot water ect on a daily basis.

Will cost 1,100 euros for computer and all fitting, but will save us a lot of money in the longer term.

Regards,  Mike L

[quote]Consider yourselves lucky. We completed our purchase on 20th Dec 04 and have use 1,700 litres since then. Boiler is relatively new (3 years old) and we have 10 radiators, although we only use 5 with...[/quote]

That's an incredible amount of oil. We reckon on using about 1200 litres a year.

Why not buy a plug-in timer (available at all bricos) for around 15euros?

Our oil fired heating/hot water boiler is timed to for 6.30 - 9am and then 4pm - 10pm. During the day I'm in the kitchen/living room (if not out at work) which is heated by large woodburner (and rads in this room are permanently off).

"Why not buy a plug-in timer (available at all bricos) for around 15euros?"

Are you sure this is safe?  I was told that you run the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning if the electricity supply is cut off prematurely (ie when the boiler is actually firing).

Obviously interested in any responses from qualified engineers but have been using it for last two years and am still here! Eek am a wee bit worried now but boiler is other side of house - will put the carbon monoxide detector in the boiler room and see what happens.

Several people we know (our French neighbours and some British friends) also use the same sort of timer. We have had the boiler serviced when the timer is plugged in and the service guy hasn't said anything. Perhaps he just thought "crazy anglais!!"

Obviously want to be safe as I nearly lost my mum to carbon monoxide poisoning from a faulty multi fuel stove which she had just had installed. Luckily she was found in time but it was too late to save her cats!

We thought about using a timer but in the end decided that a computer controller would be much better and allow us to set firrerent time for different days.  The plumber is also installing the conntrol panel in the kitchen which saves us having to go down into the cellar every time we want to make a change.

Regards,  Mike L

I've added a programmable thermostat to our system. This is programmed to change temperature at various times of day, and to drop to 14 deg at night. The boiler is left permanantly 'on' and under total control of the thermostat. As the route from the thermostat position to the boiler was difficult to run cable, I used a wireless linked thermostat.

I used the system in the UK, and it proved itself with economy of fuel. This is our first season here, so I'm keeping a close eye on the fioul tanks!

The computer controlled thermostat cost less than €250, expensive because it was wireless, a wired version would be a lot less. Only two wires to connect to the 'thermostat de ambiance' terminals on the boiler.

Mike

We have got through about 1000 litres in the same amount of time for our 6 bed house - but have had the heating on a lot as we have had quite a few B & B guests.  We get oil slightly cheaper as our enterprising neightbour organises buying whold tanker full for all the houses locally and we get 'bulk buy' price (10,000 litres I think)  Worth considering if you have a few other houses close who would be willing to go in with you.

Our heater is on programmer so we can decided when it is on and off and also temperature, but we also have manual thermostat in the hall so that we can turn down if everyone goes out or up if people arrive back unexpectedly.

Maggi

How funny that I should notice this thread this morning, as I am sitting here freezing my tiny little bottom off because we have run out of oil last night!!!!! I'm currently waiting for my friendly oil delivery person to show up. The problem is that I didn't really pay attention and the oil level in our tank is extremely difficult to judge. We've now used 1500 litres in 2 months.