Have you noticed more houses for sale?

Alexis

Now I might be wrong but I get the feeling you are after selling your house, don't ask me how I guessed that, just a gut feeling that's all

On a more serious note, it looks a very nice place so hopefully it should sell quite quickly for you. Hope you find somewhere just as nice in your search, if you are staying in France that is ? 

I think there is a danger of second homes being a fad. Driven by the media frenzy on this subject and helped by low interest rates and easy credit in the UK.

The problem is that for many people after a few years they get bored with their second home, as they don't want to be tied to it for their holidays year in, year out. Also, often they underestimate the costs, especially when you add in maintenance and taxes.

Add to the equation higher interest rates, and a slow down or decline in UK house prices, and the  bubble will burst.

Why?, because with fewer new second home owners coming into the market place and the fact that a lot of people do sell their second home after a few years, prices are vulnerable.

At the end of the day when belts are tightened it is often the second home that goes first. As no one needs a holiday home.

That is why, if at all possible one should try and buy a house in France that appeals to a broader range of people than just potential second home owners.

Sprogster said:  "I think there is a danger of second homes being a fad. Driven by the media frenzy on this subject and helped by low interest rates and easy credit in the UK.

The problem is that for many people after a few years they get bored with their second home, as they don't want to be tied to it for their holidays year in, year out. Also, often they underestimate the costs, especially when you add in maintenance and taxes."

Oooh, Sprogster, you brave person.  I said exactly this a couple of years ago, used the word "craze" if I remember rightly, and received a hell of amount of flack.  I shall now duck in advance of it coming over again.

This is so true, it's glaringly obvious that many people who've bought in France (or elsewhere) in recent years have only done so because it's the current thing to do, driven as you so rightly say by the media and their own feeling of new found wealth due to UK property prices.  As we've seen here, many of these people have never previously even visited France (or Spain/Croatia/Bulgaria) before, something I personally find utterly bizarre. 

Owning your own home in France is a fabulous feeling but surely it depends upon what that "home" comprises?  If it's already comfortably renovated in an area with lots to do or you're getting the house ready to one day live their permanently I can understand the attraction.

But this isn't the case for so many people.  For not only are they now forced to holiday in the same place every Easter, Whitsun and August  (how many people do you know return to the same hotel three times a year?), when they arrive, all that awaits them is an ever growing list of work that needs to be done.  Can anyone remember the posting a couple of summers back entitled, "have you ever had a proper holiday at your place?".  It was evident from the replies that unless you are DIY fanatic, many clearly don't.

It's inevitable that the combination of boredom/never ending renovations or repairs/and running costs is bound to make many have second thoughts once the initial euphoria has worn off.  All crazes eventually die a death, as will this one.

M

[quote]I think there is a danger of second homes being a fad. Driven by the media frenzy on this subject and helped by low interest rates and easy credit in the UK. The problem is that for many people after...[/quote]

That is why, if at all possible one should try and buy a house in France that appeals to a broader range of people than just potential second home owners.

And make sure that one doesn't skimp on the heating of the newly acquired property either.   People often return early to the UK from their holiday homes because they haven't taken into account that France is actually very cold in the winter, particularly now.

I don't have the facts regarding the resale of second homes but doubt whether it's all to do with trends, boredom etc.  Of course anything that one hears is purely anecdotal, but often people sell up because of a partner's death and the survivor opts to return to Britain.  Also people sell up and move to another area in France.  We know several who have done just that.  In fact a Dutch couple we know are on their fifth house in 25yrs of having second homes here and I have no doubt that they will move again.  Despite all you see on TV about people overstretching themselves financially there are still plenty around who have the funds to do exactly as they please. 

Becoming a craze ? It's been a craze for ages. Hence the vast number of Gites/B&B opening up. (Mostly by people who haven't done their sums).

I've predicted this before (so I suppose *eventually* I'll be right) but I think the market will collapse, partially. Not in the retirement or second homers but in the "coming over to set up a Gite complex" market.

There's just too many of them.

People jump on bandwagons. I remember when VCRs became common, five video places opened up in the town I lived in simultaneously - in the high street. Now there aren't.

Similarly, Mobile Phones. In Norwich a year ago, you could stand near the market and see about 8-10 Mobile shops within a stone's throw - literally. There are now about 3 or 4.

So everyone watches the Nigel show or whatever and thinks "I can do that"....

[quote]That is why, if at all possible one should try and buy a house in France that appeals to a broader range of people than just potential second home owners. And make sure that one doesn't skimp on th...[/quote]

Ignore the above quote. It doesn't relate to this reply.

My question is this; Why is it that when the subject arises of the increasing number of people having a change of heart from living in France, for whatever reason, there often creeps into the replies a degree of schadenfreude?

Any explanations offered?

Schadenfreude - what a lovely word. Why does it creep in? A psychologist writes: it is an extremely common human emotion. The degree to which you will feel it depends on your own sense of self worth. People who are bit unsure of themselves see others' misfortunes as validating to some extent their own lifestyle and choices.

But as for taking a leap into the unknown - moving to France, setting up b&b, gites etc - my own view is illustrated by the example of what happened to a friend. She decided to give up a secure job to run a hotel in the west country. I did a back of an envelope calculation and said it would never work. It didn't. She moved back into her old profession. BUT the experience and the move transformed her life and she's happier than she's ever been. Good for her.

The moral is if you don't try you'll never know. We only have one life, despite what the reincarnationists say - anyway who wants to come back as a beetle.

Patrick 

[quote]Schadenfreude - what a lovely word. Why does it creep in? A psychologist writes: it is an extremely common human emotion. The degree to which you will feel it depends on your own sense of self worth. ...[/quote]

Thank you for the explanation.

However my posting must have been unclear. What I was trying to say, obviously not very well, is that personally I don't have a problem with 'change of heart' whether it means going back or moving on to another property within France or whatever other permutation you can think of.

Some, however, see these decisions as mistakes, others display a touch of schadenfreude.

Each to their own, but I am constantly amazed why people appear to be so exercised by all this.

Bixy/Teejay,

Yes, thank you for the schadenfreude, beautiful term.  I agree with what you're saying about people living and learning from their mistakes but that assumes one can afford to and not everyone can.  For what we're seeing today - we see them here on the Forum regularly - are people who tell us enough about themselves for us to deduce that if things don't work out - for whatever reason - their only option is to stick it out, possibly unhappily. 

Of course people are always going to move within France, as they do within England.  But it's undeniable that an increasing number of people buy places in France these days without giving it sufficient thought or doing the necessary homework. 

Incidentally, Ringo was always regarded as the quiet, sensitive one, remember his reflective scenes in the excellent Hard Day's Night?  That's a major part of his attraction, though personally I much preferred Paul.

M

Miki

My personal preference is towards a little of Patti Boyd rather than a lot of Barbara Bach - so perhaps a return as George for me. Eric C must have played with them at some point so if he counts as an honorary maybe come back as him for a little of lots.

John (off topic into fantasy)

not

[quote]Miki My personal preference is towards a little of Patti Boyd rather than a lot of Barbara Bach - so perhaps a return as George for me. Eric C must have played with them at some point so if he counts...[/quote]

.......or the infamous digit of Warren Beatty as Dick says, .........." I'll get my coat"

Not john for sure he was so messed up on acid,there was and as been many progs on the beatles,on was I saw was an interview the his exwife cynthia who said that he was so out of it on acid he never came down because he took it most days,as for warren beatty see under swissbarry.

[quote]Sprogster said: " I think there is a danger of second homes being a fad. Driven by the media frenzy on this subject and helped by low interest rates and easy credit in the UK. The problem is that ...[/quote]

See the post below:  "where is the best place to live in France...where are all the Brits?...   I was going to Spain but we have had second thoughts has we need to return frequently back to the UK so France would be an Ideal location" ! !

To be British and know nothing about France suggests this person has no interest in France.  I suggested staying in the UK!  Or perhaps Eire, then they won't have the bother of a foreign language (as most Irish speak English).  You'd think he'd at least buy a book and find something out about a country before considering buying a house there.

[quote]Bixy/Teejay, Yes, thank you for the schadenfreude, beautiful term. I agree with what you're saying about people living and learning from their mistakes but that assumes one can afford to and not eve...[/quote]

Perhaps a forum like this is a good place to inform the ill-informed that considered choices are the best. But most people wish to see for themselves and if it goes pear-shaped and a return to the UK is not possible for financial reasons then I agree that for some it might be hell on earth. Yet it needn't be. There are always solutions.

Since living here I haven't as yet met any of these unfortunate people. Most of the ones I've had the good fortune to meet have been remarkably resourceful. Nor have they all been comfortably off. But the one ingredient they share is their ability to cope with life in France.

MWJ, however much homework one does in preparation for life abroad, nothing compares to actually living it day by day. Sometimes too much sensible decision making results in limiting the options.

Don't you find that attempting to prevent people from acting hastily often produces the opposite effect?

however much homework one does in preparation for life abroad, nothing compares to actually living it day by day.

Couldn't agree with you more.

Sometimes too much sensible decision making results in limiting the options.

Not if you've done considerable research, perhaps even a trial run (ie by renting) and given serious thought to all the options available.  Though I'll concur that once having made a permanent move and discovered even more about where you're moving to, more options may possibly appear.

Don't you find that attempting to prevent people from acting hastily often produces the opposite effect?

You know my immediate thought upon reading this, "only in recalcitrant children"!  A sensible adult would listen to what you're saying and thank you for the advice.  Some, admitedly, may say, "we're going to give it a try anyway", which is fair enough.

That said, I still maintain that a growing number of people moving abroad leave their brains behind at Dover.

M

[quote]however much homework one does in preparation for life abroad, nothing compares to actually living it day by day. Couldn't agree with you more. Sometimes too much sensible decision making results...[/quote]

Good research is no doubt valuable but France is a large country and if one gets it right first time you're very lucky.  Only yesterday I heard of another couple who are moving to a different department.  In fact someone recently remarked to me that there appeared to be a new angle on Brits living in France and that was the phenomenon of the short stay.  Either they were moving on to somewhere else in France or leaving to discover pastures new across the world.  

As for your observations regarding advice I think a polite person may listen and say thank you but most adults who aim to be independent would prefer to make their own lifestyle choices and consequently would cringe at the thought that a move to France is decided for them by words of wisdom delivered from this forum.

Do a growing number of people leave their brains behind at Dover?  Is there sufficient evidence to back up this theory?   However if you can provide facts and figures I would be most interested to read them.

MWJ, perhaps for some people, those who don't reside in green and leafy Britain,  France appears to be a sort of utopia.  Who can blame them for wishing to change their rather grim circumstances.  OK, so they get it wrong and realise that the dream was just that, a dream.  So they return.  I still continue to be perplexed as to why it seems to bother some more than others.

Regards J