What can I say...?

Hi,

As a beginner in French but had a bit of experience in communicating with speakers of other languages, I would be happier to find a way of making that initial contact in a more suitable (to me, anyway) manner. I am hesitant to launch straight into English (except where it would be expected-for example an Easyjet check-in at a French airport). At the same time, there are occasions where I fear that lauching straight into "Do you speak English?"/"Palez-vous anglais?" is, although perfectly reasonable, might be a little condescending. Might provoke the unspoken response like 'Does this rostbif really think I would be working in this hotel/international firm/whatever, if I could only speak French?'

So my question is, does anyone have a French phrase, equivalent to, say, "May/Can we speak in English?", or "Shall we speak in English?" that sort of signifies that (a), I'm willing to try a bit of French but can't proceed any further at this stage of the game, and (b) acknowledge that the person I'm speaking to, quite likely, but not certainly, speaks English.

I could, of course, do a straight dictionary translation but I'd like to make sure what what I would be saying is acceptable grammatically and also a reasonable thing to say. Would it be Over The Top, for example?

I realise that (a) I'm being over-sensitive and (b) I might have posted this in the language section but think here is more appropriate.

Many thanks,

Another Dave

Moved to the post bag (Where the poster thought they were putting it!)

You might be surprised to find that a lot of French people speak little more English than you do French. There is a somewhat misguided belief that the French speak wonderful English and merely disguise this in order to annoy the Brits, but in my experience this isn't true. Of course at airports, in large hotels etc..... you'll find English speaking staff, but in the real France things are a little different. My tip would be to start off in French, regardless of how much you struggle; if they're able to speak English I'm sure they'll reply in English, if not then you're in the best possible position to improve your French.

Good luck

P.S. I think you'll find that you'll recieve a lot more respect and co-operation for having a go at communicating in French.

If you are on holiday, then why not. I can't see anything wrong with asking either 'do you speak english' or 'parlez-vous francais'.

If you are moving here, then I really would suggest that you learn as much as you are capable of before moving here.

On the whole I would go along with what Cjb says, and TU's reply above. Firstly, I don't think 'can you speak English' is the best opening gambit, because presumably you want to learn French? but also the French love it when you have a go.

Sometimes, and many people have said this, you have your 'go' in French, and then the person will say, would you like to speak English? Whereupon you heave an enormous sigh of relief, and continue. Often, as Cjb says, there is no English to be had, so you really do need to be prepared, and that is where TU's advice about trying to keep it simple comes in.

If you are going somewhere you could try to predict what you might have to say, and also some possible answers (oh it's already getting tricky).  I used to try and plan a conversation that only resulted in yes or no answers, and this helped me a lot in the very early days.

Overall, I would have to say, try in French at the outset.

tresco

[quote]Hi, As a beginner in French but had a bit of experience in communicating with speakers of other languages, I would be happier to find a way of making that initial contact in a more suitable (to me...[/quote]

Although my french is passable, I always say "je ne parle pas le bien francais" (I don't speak good french) and give a sad smile and I find the french go out of their way to help. They really appreciate your giving it a try.

[quote]Hi, As a beginner in French but had a bit of experience in communicating with speakers of other languages, I would be happier to find a way of making that initial contact in a more suitable (to me...[/quote]

Got posted twice as it was running so slow I clicked again, sorry.

Bonjour is usually the best thing to say first. It's polite, identifies you as English, and gives both parties time to get into foreign language mode.

After the intial contact I used to use the equivalent of 'This is difficult for me because my French is not very good, but ....' then 'I would like...' or 'do you have...' or 'I have a little problem, maybe...' etc. etc.

As other people have said, have a go and you will be rewarded. Contrary to popular belief the French like to help and display thier knowledge to foreigners. Be a little meek and 'little boy lost'.

Launching in with English does tend to put peoples backs up a little.

If people can not speak french what on earth are they doing living in france????

Hi Outcast,

If only you had chosen to say that it's a reasonable expectation that people ought to learn the language of their adopted country, your contribution would have been quite valid. But that's not your style.

You obviously arrived here speaking fluent French then, I suspect that wasn't the case with most of us. However, I do have an additional motivation to learn, I have, in fact, achieved competency in two other languages, one European and one Oriental, no big deal in itself, lots of people have, but the point I'm making by saying that is that those of you who have second or third languages will recognise the extra frustration when you go from a foreign country where you can communicate well in the language of the country, to going to another country where you can't. Believe me, that's a great incentive to learn!

It also means that I have less hangups about trying out my new language having gone down a similar route in the past but I find it's easier to indulge that in a quiet boulangerie than say, at a busy car hire desk with a queue behind and perhaps I should have made that clear in my original posting.

I do appreciate the responses on this, especially those who twigged on to the politeness (public relations, even !) aspect of my query. 

Thanks

Another Dave

I try. Say hello in your best French, then admit that you are English and, as such, may not be up to speed in French. Phrases such as " Je sais que c'est embettent mais j'esessrais mon mieux en Français" (ie I'm doing my best) followed by a big sigh works OK.

Well, I used the same phrase for years...

The grammaire expert will no doubt leap on me,but has worked fine for 12 years!

[quote]Although my french is passable, I always say "je ne parle pas le bien francais" (I don't speak good french) and give a sad smile and I find the french go out of their way to help. They really apprecia...[/quote]

I'd go further and say that I usually start with a 'Excusez-moi, je suis Anglais' with a sorry and apologetic shake of my head which usually draws a ready smile from even the frostiest french shop assistant.... then I launch into the 'je parle pas bien Francais...'. Never had anything but kindness and sympathy for my lack of communication skills. That was a while ago though, but it worked for some time! Nowadays the locals expect me to try harder...

'Excusez-moi, je suis Anglaise'

LOL, I have a friend, long term resident in France, who still begins almost every conversation with this.  Her husband jokes it has similar connotations to Basil Fawlty's, "he's from Barcelona"... 

Look, if you want something interesting as you're opening gambit try my "je parle francais comme une vache espagnole".  Though word of warning: it doesn't always go down too well in polite company...

M

[quote]Although my french is passable, I always say "je ne parle pas le bien francais" (I don't speak good french) and give a sad smile and I find the french go out of their way to help. They really apprecia...[/quote]

For me it's "Mon francais n'est pas tres bon, donc parlez lentement svp" however, because it trips off my tongue so easiliy these days, it also raises laugh!

How about for normal transactions:

Always start with a "Bonjour Monsieur/Madame"

"Excusez moi, je suis pas courant en francais." (the french swallow the "ne")

Followed by "On peut continuer en anglais?"

If the situation is urgent, don't waste time with niceties. "Est-ce que vous parler anglais?" It may get an abrupt "Non" but if its urgent you make do.

The essence of communication is getting the message across - trip, stumble, crawl, limp or any old how to get there!

Cardinal

One of the things I learned to say when we first arrived was to apologise for my bad French, it worked wonders! Over the ensuing 18 months I've immersed myself in the language and those around me know that I want to be corrected and to be taught. Having a personality that don't really give a s*** does help somewhat. Also having a wife who has very good language and two sons who are bi-lingual is a serious incentive to keep up!

Chris

I've also found that "having a bash" is well appreciated by the locals. Sometimes they correct my tenses, sometimes they don't, but the fact that I try means the world to them (they even tell me I'm getting better). Only trouble with this method of having a bash, is that I'm taking an exam in May (only GCSE) and for that they want it right first time.... I guess that A star will elude me

I don't think you have a problem here. Always open a conversation with a stranger with Bonjour Monsieur/Madame. Your accent will be sufficient to alert them that you are english speaking.

In my experience as soon as you hesitate for more than a milli second in trying to speak French the locals will respond in English if they possibly can, you don't have to ask. If they don't it is because they can't speak it, so keep the phrase book handy!

Liz (29)