Live birds for target practice!

If you believe the mindless shooting of owls, swallows, song-thrushes, robins, skylarks and dozens of other varieties of birds just for "fun" is abhorrent and despicable, please go to the link below and sign the petition. It only takes 15 seconds.

http://www.protectiondesoiseaux.be/content/view/637/72/

Very nice Rdkr, aren't you a macho fella and clever dick. I do hope you keep yourself safe with these endeavours. Very happy to learn what sort of person I have taken a few post's seriously from. Lesson learned, Thank you.

I asked SusieK to put the link on LF because I know there are plenty of people on here who are concerned about the pointless destruction of owls and raptors generally and particularly birds on their migration paths. Some of us - including me - might be quite happy to shoot (and eat) pigeons (I'm not sure magpies are designated vermin and you can't eat them anyway) but I do not believe anyone on here would take a pot shot at a passing thrush or barn owl. On that basis, please don't turn this thread into another pro versus anti hunting / shooting thing. We've been there.

Whether you shoot or not, think about signing up to this petition because imo - and obviously Susie's - it is specific and worthwhile.

[quote]Very nice Rdkr, aren't you a macho fella and clever dick. I do hope you keep yourself safe with these endeavours. Very happy to learn what sort of person I have taken a few post's seriously from. Less...[/quote]

I would guess that cats do more to decimate the desirable bird population than those who shoot them. What action would you propose for that menace? (Not a hunter, BTW)

[quote]I would guess that cats do more to decimate the desirable bird population than those who shoot them. What action would you propose for that menace? (Not a hunter, BTW)[/quote]

Ray,

What sort of twisted logic is that. Surely you are not saying that simply because cats kill wild birds it is therefore reasonable for so called intelligent beings ( French men) to go out and blast away at owls , robins, sparrows etc. We all know animals kill but do we need to add to the carnage?

[quote]Ray, What sort of twisted logic is that. Surely you are not saying that simply because cats kill wild birds it is therefore reasonable for so called intelligent beings ( French men) to go out and bla...[/quote]

Ahhh, 'creative reading' at its best! I neither said nor inferred that. Given the choice, I'd keep the birds and shoot the cats.

Don't shoot the cats! We would be overrun by mice

Shoot the mice - then there'll be less for the cats to catch, so obviously they'll go after more birds. The consequence of that will be ......

Oh buggar it - I think I'll have to think it out again.

Patrick

[quote]Don't shoot the cats! We would be overrun by miceShoot the mice - then there'll be less for the cats to catch, so obviously they'll go after more birds. The consequence of that will be ......Oh bugg...[/quote]

LOL!!

Hi Ray, I don't see the comparison but now that you mention it, I don't own a cat but if I did, I would put a little bell on it's collar to give the birds a fair chance. I have often wondered why owners of cats that provide good homes don't do this.

Because cats climb treees, squeeze in small places etc and they can get trapped by the collar - there are elastic collars these days but I'm not sure just how popular they are or if they truly prevent the problem?

I was watching 'Page Turners' yesterday when they reviewed a book called 'How to be a bad birdwatcher' One of the quotes was that 'Nature is neither cruel or kind - it just is'

Cats catch birds, crows and magpies raid nests......its nature. Blasting song birds out of the sky isn't - so sign the petition!! ( please )

It is estimated that each cat kills 10 to 20 birds a year - the fact that they don't bring them home to mummy or daddy does not mean your cats dont do it.

In the UK there are millions - yes millions of cats so there have been estimated figures of 50 MILLION birds being killed in the UK alone by cats. This makes them the biggest reason for the decline of the bird population in the UK as the countryside diminished, farmland becomes less friendly to them so they move into suburban and urban areas to be culled by cats.

We have a mulot and mice problem BUT I would never ever have a cat - I have seen what they do.

I have seen cats take very large birds - one neighbours cat in the UK used to take Jays - a problematic bird in France but in some areas quite rare in the UK. So before you all start on someone who shoots for pleasure, think of your cat who does not care if it kills a rare species or a pest - it is all in a days killing for it.

Don't say your poor kitty does not kill birds, that is what cats do. I am with those that want to cull cats in areas where the birds are at risk.

What a horrid horrid person I am, wanting to save the rapidly diminishing bird populations if it involves another persons pets. We all have decisions to make on this and if you want to stop hunters killing birds for sport, perhaps we should also stop cats from killing birds for sport, the hunters can make a choice and so can the cat owners - bells on collars or keep them in - there is a third option but it has already been said.

I must agree with Inceni, I do love cats (although a dog owner) and I understand the nature argument. However, if the poor cat was in the wild and trying to survive it is a different story but if it has a good home and is being fed, I say put a bell on its collar. It is no longer necessary or nature in my opinion. I think if we have one for a pet we should take responsibility.

[quote]I must agree with Inceni, I do love cats (although a dog owner) and I understand the nature argument. However, if the poor cat was in the wild and trying to survive it is a different story but if it h...[/quote]

Agreed! BTW - Legal hunting of birds and animals protects them from over-population by controlled culling.

[quote]Not much ray,been out in the`van for a few days with the kids,my head is done in and besides its to bloody cold where seals live.Keeping to the topic,did not see many pink flamingos this time.[/quote]

**did not see many pink flamingos this time.**

Don't you just hate it when you run out of booze!