Got to be Labour again for me.

outie - its an investment - like a pension or something - if you don't put it, you can't get out - even I can see that and I'm no great brain (no need to all agree either )

It just that in this instance its the country that puts in and gets out.

Ps Why are you in worried - you are in France as you so famously say

“when the recipient of further education can and does go on to earn a lot more due the the education paid for by the state than them that do not go on the said further education during their working life”

Unfortunately I think this is no longer necessarily the case. Use to be, but these days is often not. Problem can come when somebody takes 3 (or more) years studying rather than starting their career means they are 3 (or more) years behind somebody who started their career after leaving school. Depending on what is studied (and the chosen career), the delay in starting working can put you several years behind others and, incomes often grow fastest earlier in ones career.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote]-Can and not- doesn't look right, anyway Sorry its not France related, but come on, Michael Howard, for gods sake, he's a muppet I have to say that if Labour hadn't taken over from Thatcher, I very ...[/quote]

Well you got your wish.

I wonder how things will be in a few years time when tax goes up to support the NHS after the £6BN runs out. Council tax goes up by around 25% per household and the economy goes bang.

Happy days.

I'm glad I'm here in France

[quote]Well you got your wish. I wonder how things will be in a few years time when tax goes up to support the NHS after the £6BN runs out. Council tax goes up by around 25% per household and the econo...[/quote]

Chris,

Surely you can say that about any party coming in or continuing in power ?

Sooner or later, the biggest certainty is that any party will have to lose power by falling out of favour with the electorate.

I do hope you were not simply showing a little bit of sour grapes

[quote]Chris,Surely you can say that about any party coming in or continuing in power ?Sooner or later, the biggest certainty is that any party will have to lose power by falling out of favour with the elect...[/quote]

What ME, sour grapes?

Actually I'm not that bothered about the Labour Party (or the conservatives and LD's for that matter) I just don't like TB because he is a liar.

To be honest this was the election, if you were a sane person that is, that you would want to loose. We had 14 financial institutions including four of which the government uses all saying that the UK has big problems and that economic growth is not sustainable at the current rate. TB's response was that they are all wrong and the chancellor is right, well with all due respect when I get to three people telling me the same thing I start to think it might be true but 14?

Did you see the program a couple of month back about the NHS?

The UK is living on borrowed time really. One only has to see the adverts on TV about borrowing money. The UK owes more money per head than any other country in the EU. It has to be paid back sometime, the question is how?

Then there is the issue of the pension time bomb which they reckon will go off in the next 2 to 3 years.

And no I didn't vote. My reason for not doing so is that I don't live there any more and feel that it's up to those who do to decide who they want and not me.

Interesting chat with our French guests last night over dinner.

All I am worried about is my pension.

I posted the same on the forum before,over 1,000,000 manufacturing jobs of gone since and "new labour" got the keys to no 10( I still keep in touch with people in the NW and know for a fact the big companies are closing down,not to mention rover ),850,000 mostly pen pushers have been employed,still the super bug is rampant in nhs hospitals the country UK is over run with bogus asylum seekers mainly young men,most who pass through the rest of europe to get to the UK.

The debt time bomb is ticking,yes the highest in the EU,and now with back in the EU rebate to the UK is under threat which will mean taxes will rise.No plans to go back thats sure.

Mmm, picking and choosing when to be in power might be a little tricky Chris !

You are probably quite right about a "slump" on the horizon. It is something one can always say afer the traditional period of 10 years or so. What has been good for many (especially those who gained by the long length of time of the bank rate being so low and many would more than likely still be in the UK had been boom and bust been rampant!!) has been that Mr Brown has given the base rate to the B of E, giving a fair length of stability to the country.

What one has to remember, is these experts are the same ones who get so much wrong but as I said, we can all say that a slump is imminent, by simply just looking at history and the debt that so many households now have. It will happen and however long (or short) a time, it might take, of course one will occur and "experts" will say "told you so" !!

To be fair, the chancellor has indeed proved many wrong since 1997, many continually saying the ground was prepared before he arrived, so a no win situation for him, slump and it's Labours fault, stable economy with low unemployemnt and it ws the prevous governemnet that built it. And if one believes that, you will believe that pigs really can fly !

Chris "....Interesting chat with our French guests last night over dinner"

Well that's good Chris, do we guess the rest ? Was the dinner cold ? Was Drogba discussed and what a lot of money for so little ? The Cac 40 is 'iffy' at the moment... am I getting warm

Chris "...All I am worried about is my pension"

Don't worry, better to be poor in the sun than in the wet and cold!

Saw a few minutes of Bremner Bird and Fortune last night. The "Tony Blair" (Bremner) said something about handing over the problems to Brown who wouldn't have a chance to sort anything out, but all he (Blair / Bremner) was interested in was going down in the history books as the first labour leader to be elected for 3 terms.... Many a word spoken in jest....... ???????

[quote]Saw a few minutes of Bremner Bird and Fortune last night. The "Tony Blair" (Bremner) said something about handing over the problems to Brown who wouldn't have a chance to sort anything out, but all he...[/quote]

Nothing top secret about that John, wouldn't you, if given the chance try for a place in history ? I know I would and politicians are no different to us mere electors.

As no one has yet said where will go when hands over the poison chalest,let me speculate, the EU with the rest of the bent money grabing lot,what was it the welsh wind bag was on !over 500,000 a year, mrs wind bag was elected to but who gave their offspring the job?How much is that other master of the art of spin on ???spent new years eve on a multi millionaires gin place the owner who was one part of microsoft and to which (microsoft) as been fined millions of euro,s by the EU,all this had to be dragged out of mandy by the UKIP,so all in all sure he will end up in brussels.

[quote]whatever anyone thinks of Margaret Thatcher they cannot deny that she made England a stronger, better country than it was before. The strong economy inherited by Labour was entirely due to measures t...[/quote]

HIP HIP HIP HOORAY!

3 Cheers for that!!

When I arrived in UK in the late 70's, I thought I had gone back in time by 30 years! Water shortages, inflation at 20%+, interest rate at 17%+, terrible train services, dustbin men on strike...

and Yes! what ever one may think of Maggie! SHE certainly got the duster out of her handbag and put the GREAT back into GREAT-Britain!! and did give it a good shine...