warning

I passed a speed trap today, nothing out of the norm, i thought little of it, until a little way along the road the police where pulling over all the driviers who had flashed warnings to on coming cars. Over 20 cars and a few trucks on the side of the road, geting a good going over.

WOW! I don't usually flash anyway, but didn't realise it was an offence. It must be a difficult offence to prosecute, was I flashing to warn of a speed trap or warn that there is a potential hazard as drivers ahead will be slowing down quickly... but even if prosecution is unlikely, a lecture from the Gendarmes is not in my wish list.

Well I've just done that on the way home from work but not because the gendarmes were there but because there was a loose bullock running amok behind me and I wanted to warn oncoming drivers to be careful he didn't get more frightened by them trying to pass him, poor thing he was so scared and the poor old farmer was on foot trying to catch him. I have to admit to flashing oncoming drivers to warn them of impending police presence in the past but when I see some of the speeds folk do here in dangerous places I think its best they are caught for their own good.

Hi Folks

Yes it is illegal in France and the UK. I'm not certain of the exact offence in France, but it will no doubt be similar to TWO offences here in the UK.
The first one is "obstructing a Police Officer in the lawful execution of his duty" and the second - which is a lot heavier with the possibility of a prison sentence being imposed if found guilty - is "attempting to pervert the course of justice."

The second one would not normally be used for such matters UNLESS, of course, one decides to get "funny" with the Police (NOT a recommended course of action).

So if you do see a speed trap, please keep your hands off the headlamp flashers.
Whilst your intentions are good, as I have pointed out, the penalties can be severe.

Bonne chance toutes.

It comes as no surprise to me that this is illegal, as almost anything in France you imagine might be, usually is. But here's an interesting thought. If you go to the ViaMichelin website [I heartily recommend it by the way] and get a route map, it will show you where speed cameras are located. I don't imagine Michelin would do something illegal and therefore it strikes me as something of an anomaly that it is perfectly legal to advertise their presence.

As an aside, I have often thought that knowing where speed cameras are, completely defeats their point.

Patrick

Bixy

I wholehearterdly agree with what you are saying. Viamichelin provide information in respect fo the location of the STATIC cameras which are part of the roadside furniture. The French themselves provide such information on this website http://www.securiteroutiere.equipement.gouv.fr/data/radars/index.html

If I am reading the author of this thread correctly, the speed trap concerned was one set up by the Police themselves and it is the warning given by people to vehicle drivers of its presence that constitutes the offence.
Please note the manner in which I have worded that and there is a very good reason for it.
A pedestrian at the side of the road giving such a warning also commits the offence, so it is not restricted to vehicle drivers flashing headlamps. It refers to any person.

The reason that I know this ? I am a retired Police Officer, ex Traffic division and therefore well versed in speed detection techniques.
Although I personally have never prosecuted anyone for warning others of my presence - at least it kept the speeds down - I would not like any member of this forum being subject to the process of such an offence.

In other words folks, if you see a speed trap, keep your hand off the headlamp flasher. You may save someone from a fine but you leave yourself wide open to having your bank balance reduced AND possibly the loss of your liberty.
Light throttles folks.

[quote]Speed cameras even in France have a warning sign that one is approaching them. So in some ways they self advertise, that they are on the web is not a problem.[/quote]

Our local speed camera's got a very clear sign...facing the wrong way for the camera.

What I'm not sure about is the max. speed allowed in the area of the cameras. There's one in Auch and I assume the limit is 50kph. Then there's one out in the country so that is either 70 or 90 kph. Is there a way of finding out? Pat.

What are headlamp flashers fitted to cars for if not to warn other drivers of hazards ahead. A Policeman bent on relieving you of your hard earned cash and endorsing your licence is a hazard by any interpretation. The speed limits imposed in France are daft in many places just as they are in UK. Just more of the 'nanny knows best' brand of government.

[quote]Speed cameras even in France have a warning sign that one is approaching them. So in some ways they self advertise, that they are on the web is not a problem.[/quote]

If you are doing a long journey and are not familiar with the way, go to the viamichelin.co.uk web site and put the details of your journey.

It will come out with ALL the speed cameras locations!

Something new!... To be forewarned is to be forearmed...

So... who is 'perverting the cause of justice' and 'stopping a policeman during the course of his duty'...?...

[quote]What are headlamp flashers fitted to cars for if not to warn other drivers of hazards ahead. A Policeman bent on relieving you of your hard earned cash and endorsing your licence is a hazard by any in...[/quote]

I'd rather be relieved of my cash by a gendarme than be relieved of my life by some idiot overtaking on a bend at 90kph.

Sorry, but anarchy on the roads is not my idea of fun.   There are too many lives lost and ruined, and it distresses me immeasurably to be stuck in a queue of traffic while the pompiers pick up bodies and load them into the helicopter.   Even worse when there's a bunch of flowers there the next day. 

OTOH, nice to see someone recognising the fact that France is a nanny state too!

I suppose I agree with SB (perish the thought), because, as a (former) biker, I realise that speed doesn't kill you, it is the sudden deceleration that does!

Problem is, whilst you (or I) may be capable of driving at 200Kph, there is no guarantee that the next twit you meet also is. Dead is dead, regardless of whose fault it is. Since you can't legislate against idiots and the incompetent alone (think about it), you must legislate against everyone.

Personally, I tend to drive at the limits, simply because I am rarely in a hurry (which is why I am here). I have had the pleasure of seeing an acquaintance storm past me waving madly, straight into the arms of the G-men at the bottom of the hill. I didn't know they were there, but did oi larf.....

Or just the bizarre - I was once coming up behind an English car on an autoroute at about 150kph, I went to overtake him (on the left, of course) and he panicked, must have thought he was back in England and pulled over to let me overtake on the right! Smell of brake discs and adrenalin in the car...

[quote]I'd rather be relieved of my cash by a gendarme than be relieved of my life by some idiot overtaking on a bend at 90kph. Sorry, but anarchy on the roads is not my idea of fun. There are too many li...[/quote]

What I find very irritating about modern life is the way governments attempt to take away personal responsibility from you. The majority of drivers including bikers know perfectly well their responsibilities and personal limits. There is of course a very small section of all societies who do not have any personal responsibilities and behave recklessly to the detriment of others. The rest of us have to pay a cost for their behaviour and our personal freedoms are restricted as a result. The daft thing is that the bad guys are never effected by laws they carry on regardless. The daft laws only effect those who are responsible and conform.....

Here endeth the lesson!!

It doesn't surprise me that it's illegal to warn other motorists, nor does it surprise me that the UK government is going to make speed trap detectors illegal.

It simply confirms that the speed traps are NOT for their supposed purpose of slowing people down, but for the sole purpose of generating revenue.

If they were REALLY to slow you down, wouldn't they WANT everyone to know they were there, then they'd catch no-one and the trap would have worked.

Alcazar

In my ignorance, I always supposed that the static radar speed traps were there as a deterrent. They are signposted beforehand to warn you of their presence, and are far more effective than a simple speed-limit sign, as they hit where it hurts (the pocket). The fact that their location is made available on sites like viamichelin only adds to their deterrent value.

Temporary speed-traps set up by the gendarmes are there as a punishment.  There are many who think they are perfectly able to handle their vehicle at higher than allowed speeds, but then again there are many that think they can handle their vehicle at higher than allowed alcohol levels.  Are random breath checks seen as "sneaky" revenue generators too?

Anything that France can do to reduce the appalling road fatality rate here can surely only be a good thing?