animal constructions/ permission ?

berger

Hi everyone, does anyone know if I will need permission to construct kennels for dogs on a piece of land that is adjacent to my property ( I own it obviously ), they will probably be constructed of wood with chicken wire fence. I know that the laws are different for animal shelters and my only real neighbour has a whole menagerie of farm animals so no probs there.

You don't say whether you live in a village or not but I can tell you that around here there are laws about construction and the distance between kennels and the village. Also a limit of 5 dogs in the kennels, which is not always obeyed here.

We built a field shelter for horses on our land which is 2/300m from the village and this required full planning permission.

As always, I think you should ask the mairie what your particular position is.

[quote]You don't say whether you live in a village or not but I can tell you that around here there are laws about construction and the distance between kennels and the village. Also a limit of 5 dogs in the...[/quote]

hi monty01 here , thanks for your reply, I am actually about 1.5 kilometres from the main village in a small sub hamlet of four houses one being mine another two permanent res one other is a second home for retired parisians.We are quite well spaced out and two of the neighbours have no sight over my land and are well enough away not to be disturbed. Both the perm neighbours have large quantities of animals, lots of geese, chickens sheep and several dogs, my only real neighbour will not be a problem as we are quite amicable and they have a love for dogs ( having a huge rottweiler !! )I was just hoping that animal shelters did not require the same permission as human dwellings.

We have a stone built outbuilding which only needs a new roof (well, okay, and a door and a piece of glass for a small window) to make it sufficiently weatherproof for a night-time kennel for our two dogs. We assumed a quick visit to the Mairie would be sufficient to get the nod to put on a new corrugated metal roof. Nope. A visit to the DDE has been necessary to get the right forms... and it may only have a new roof, coloured ardoise, no further changes and absolutely no conversion into accommodation suitable for humans.

Around here (southern Manche, 50) the Gendermerie are checking permissions and reporting transgressions. They are, said the DDE official, paying particular interest to British owned properties.

Hi Monty, my comments in the posting 'abris de jardin' are relevant to your enquiry.  We had to provide Declarations de Travaux for the tiniest of animal shelters and sheds. 

You do not say whether the kennels are for your own dogs or as a business proposition.  This could have some bearing on your application. Your neighbour may be an 'agriculteur' and they seem to have a different set of rules to abide by here.  Our village has a kennels which is hardly outside the village at all, and is run by the Mairie who make money out of non resident hunters who leave their dogs there.  It is an ugly concrete building which is not good for animals/urine etc. Little out houses and sheds keep appearing. The noise for the village is appalling at feeding times and all the time in the hunting season, but no one seems to say anything and rules are obviously being flouted.  There are often more than a dozen dogs in there.

If ever my dog runs away he heads straight there. He is the only dog they have known to break IN to the kennels!

By the way Monty is a great name, same as one of my llamas....good luck with your project.