another tour de france question

I can't bear to watch the tour de france. I just feel like taking a mitrailleuse to those people who actually stand in the path of the riders. Why do they let them do it. It makes no sense to me. It would be like letting the supporters on the field during say the world cup, just let them run on to take a quick photo, for the album you know. And that would be less dangerous really, at least footballers are on foot.

Explain please, someone tell me why they are allowed to do this.

TU, one of the racers got bashed in the nose the other day by a spectator. It was difficult to see what happened, but it looked as though the spectator was gesticulating and the rider was definately affected badly by it. If the geezer had had his hand lower down it could have done him some serious damage.

I've noticed the crowd narrowing on the route more and more as the years go by, and it still amazes me at car rally things, how close people stand to bends, the type of bends which cars leave the road and turn over at.

All men please laugh in private, please

Oh, absolutely, TU, aren't some people idiotic?  But then again when you consider the logistics, with the exception of the final few hundred metres, it would be nigh on impossible for the race marshalls to prevent spectators from doing daft things.  On the other hand, the crowd is an essential part of the race.  I read an interview this week with a famous ancien French winner of le Tour who said that it was the crowds and people running alongside on empty stretches that kept you going when fatigue was starting to get the better of you.  He commented (and I've noticed this too) that it was amazing how spectators often chose to watch the race go by in some of the most isolated spots.  M

It drives me crazy too.  So dangerous.  A spectator got run over the other day and I was pleased.  It is gettting so bad I can't bear to watch.  It usually happens on the top of a col so I don't watch until they start the descent!

All those stupid men...not seen a woman...waving their flags and dressed up so they can be on the telly.  They should all be arrested by the police.  Give them something to do beside stand for five hours on a cross roads with their sun glasses on...

All those stupid men...not seen a woman...waving their flags and dressed up so they can be on the telly.

We had the dubious pleasure of El Diablo's company where we watched it last weekend.  He's German, I think, tows around what he claims is the world's biggest tandem.  He dresses up in a red nylon cape and red tights, and shouts a lot.   At first, it looks like he's going to do something interesting, but after 3 hours he's still just shouting "ya ya ya ya ya ya ya" at the cavalcade.  But they seem to know him, so I guess he's achieving his 15 minutes?

Having read the various comments regarding the TdeF it becomes fairly obvious that most of the contributors haven't a clue what they are talking about.

My first experience of le Tour was in the early 60s and my latest was last week. It's all about atmosphere and passion for the sport, things Brits just don't understand.

Why go to the theatre or a football/cricket match. In fact why travel, all of these experiences can be had through the medium of television. You do these for the experience.

If YOU don't understand this why not accept the fact that you have a certain intellectual shortcoming.

Why is it that 600/750 THOUSAND people were on the first stage and between 20 and 30 MILLION people see the Tour live each year. Not my figures but figures gleaned from the media over the years.

The Tour de France is more than a sporting event, it is a part of French culture.

In conclusion why do some contributors feel that their opinions are so important that they must convey them to others even, as I have said, they do not know what they are talking about.

A

In conclusion why do some contributors feel that their opinions are so important that they must convey them to others even, as I have said, they do not know what they are talking about.

Interesting conundrum, I'm sure we all wonder this at some point.  And yet if we lesser beings never express an opinion, how will greater beings like yourself ever be able to display your undeniable superiority? 

Annelise, since when can passion and atmosphere be an excuse for such shameful behaviour. A spectator watches, they do not participate and they do not interfere physically with the sport they are watching. I don't care what sport it is.

And if you really believe that brits don't get passionate about their sports and don't go to watch them, then think again.

Anneliese,

How many knowledgable experts on the Tour de France do you know that can recognise any rider not by his cycle, not by his hat, not by his shirt even, not even by his number.........but just one tiny glimpse at his lycra shorts, none ?

Well our Alexis can, now come on, that is pure knowledge and expertise that should give her a place on the Champs Elysée on Sunday where she should be allowed to judge best of show "Lycra laden shorts cyclist of the Tour"

And another thing, can anyone tell me how long it has been since they stopped using those modern Sturmey Archer gears, changed by twisting the handle grip ?

SB, Old Diablo eh, wouldn't be that same without him though would it ? The riders come and go but El Diablo goes on and on, we saw him years ago near the Luberon and yes, it is something like Yah,Yah,Yah mein bykists...........well my German is not that good !

These brief thoughts come to mind as I watch.

The guy on the motor bike always seems to be well up the front. Why don't they all get motor bikes?

The design of the Phonak team's lycra shorts makes their bums look enormously wide. They should try a new designer next year. Mind you, at least you can read the sponsor's name.

It must be crushing to realise that as long as Lance Armstrong is around you'll never win.

The guy at the back sees nothing but bums for 3 weeks.

Yes, the gesticulating spectators do look like dangerous idiots. There are plenty of women among them.

I like watching on TV because France is - France, as De Gaulle once so succinctly put it

Patrick

Ah Miki, I have had all my knowledge drummed into me by OH who is passionate about the Tour.  I am just fairly new.  I am just lucky I have the time to watch every minute it is on the telly.

So exciting today!

I will be watching tomorrow and as a change, I thought I would look at their saddles.

Compare sizes.  That sort of thing.

[quote]In conclusion why do some contributors feel that their opinions are so important that they must convey them to others even, as I have said, they do not know what they are talking about. Interesting ...[/quote]

Wrong SB

I do not and never have professed to know everything, it's just that I have been around the cycling scene for a good many years and I do know quite a bit about the sport.

What's your knowledge of cycle sport. Not a lot I suspect.

If this should be the case just "button it" and listen to someone who has won a few races. How many have you won?

A

Annaliese said "...What's your knowledge of cycle sport. Not a lot I suspect.

If this should be the case just "button it" and listen to someone who has won a few races. How many have you won?"

Speak up SB, tell Annaliese about your many wins on the "Tour de penny farthings". She was "le big wheel in them days",. Now I suspect she is happy enough just to ride on her hubbies crossbar to the local boulangerie.

Alexis I have a mate who is a journalist with La Meuse (Liège, Belgium), many years ago we sat down in a bar called Le Cafeteria in Liège where the bar was owned by the man they say is the true number one of all time in cycling, Edddie Merckx, (what do you think Annaliese?). Anyway he went in to long details about how the teams ride, who makes up the workers and why, what time trials are for, why the mountains in the Tour finally maketh the winner and so on and so on. So I do take an interest but one probably needs to be brought up in the tradition, of what the race truly means to tens of thousands of everyday French people to capture the full spirit of the occasion.

Our local fete has been opened in the past by Bernard Hinault, (still looking as fit as a butchers dog and last French winner of the race) Last year the race went through Calourgen where he lives, just a few km's from us and Bernard was up on his podium being saluted by the riders as they rode past through to the top of Dinan.

What a great time trial by Armstrong as you say, quite bizarre though, when you realise this was to be his last ever ride as such, in the tour de France.

"....I thought I would look at their saddles.Compare sizes. That sort of thing"

Yeh right and break the habit of the last 3 weeks

If this should be the case just "button it" and listen to someone who has won a few races. How many have you won?

Okay, I'm listening, always willing to learn, but you don't seem to have much to say except "I know more than the rest of you".

So put it where your saddle goes, Missus.

>>>It's all about atmosphere and passion for the sport, things Brits just don't understand.<<<

I think Brits do understand 'atmosphere and passion' perhaps you don't understand the way in which they demonstrate their 'passion'

>>>If YOU don't understand this why not accept the fact that you have a certain intellectual shortcoming.<<<

IMHO its the people who run out in front the riders who have the certain intellectual shortcoming.

>>>It's all about atmosphere and passion for the sport, things Brits just don't understand.<<<

All about atmosphere and passion for the sport, things Brits just don't understand ??

I am French and I don't understand it either ... The passion for the Tour de France was quelled by my grandfather at the tender age of 8! 

That particular day the Tour was in the Charente area. I was on hols at my grand-parents (in 79)with 2 cousins of the same age. My grandfather gave orders that we would go and watch it. So the night before Grandmother prepared the picnic for the next day, frantically got 3 children organised to go to bed early as we were to have a fantastic day next but needed to get up early etc... that meant NO TV that evening ! NO 'Cirque aux Etoiles!'

Next morning up before the larks, dreary eyed pushed in the back of my Grandfather 2CV and off we set to watch this "Tour de France". 150kms later well before any crowd had started to gather, Grandfather stops on the side of the road and marks his territory with his chair, picnic table and grandmother is brewing his coffee. We (the kids) are still thinking what is the fuss all about... and deciding whether to go and play in the field or catch up on some sleep!... Gran is sat in her chair and has started her knitting! Our signal that it is going to be a VERY LONG wait!....

After an eternity the Tour finally comes by. All I remember seeing was cars at speed, sirens and sloggans publicitaires shouted at, motorbikes and gendarmes trying with not much success to control the crowd, a swoosh noise of a peloton riding by, my grandfather waving a flag and shouting his head off to ?... (don't ask me I was 8!)... and when the whole show had gone by, off in the back of that 2CV and home we went! My cousins and I, some many years on, are still wondering what was it all about... We were robbed of our 'Cirque aux Etoiles'

Now for passion talk to me about the 5 Nations Rugby Tournament!.. That is worth the passion. Sorry I should say 6 Nations but dear Italians can't play rugby for toffee! (or spaghetti I should say!:laugh

Anneliese. You are getting your synthetic chammi in an awfull twist. I find it incredible that you can take a swipe at folks comments on something as 'communal' as the tour. The beauty of this event is that cyclists AND non cycists can come along to soak up the party atmosphere of something very French and traditional. I would bet many of the spectators and even some television followers (my better half for one and some friends) have no depth or basic knowledge of this spectacle. As someone who has raced (mostly unsuccessfully) I would never be upset at jokey conversation or leg pulling at my chosen ex sport and pastime. It is such a minor sport in the UK that any conversation about cycling for me is music to my ears. 

Cogratulations again Lance. Wonder if he really will retire from the tour.

I believe 'Le Tour' is like no other show on earth, and as a keen cyclist, it's the highlight of my year and I'm as passionate about is as any French follower.

Having spectated on it for many years, I obviously understand the passion and enthusiasm of all the spectators but jumping out in front of the riders and running along side (often waving the Stars and Stripes or dressed like a prat in a Superman outfit) is IMO completely stupid and unnecessary.

To truly understand the race however, I believe you have to ride up the Cols (mountains) yourself to see what the competitors are going through. I've ridden across the Pyrenees a couple of times and I compete in the UK, so I think I can appreciate what is involved - the last thing any of the pro-riders want is one of the aforementioned numpties jumping out in front of them!

Fortunately, Armstrong has now gone, so not only will the Tour be a more competitive race next year but I believe a lot of his rather vocal and extravert followers will disappear too.

"To truly understand the race however, I believe you have to ride up the Cols (mountains) yourself to see what the competitors are going through."

just driving up one is enough!!!!

"Fortunately, Armstrong has now gone, so not only will the Tour be a more competitive race next year but I believe a lot of his rather vocal and extravert followers will disappear too."

Well the basques are as crazy as anyone.....

Just a slightly sideways view of cycling enthusiasts.

I was once eating at a restaurant in Domodossola (Italy near the Swiss border). Struggling with the menu, a Flemish couple helped us out. I asked where they were staying.

The answer was "we are staying on the other side of the alps in Switzerland, but it is better & cheaper to eat in Italy. Also, my husband is a cyclist. We put the bike on top of the car, and at the bottom of the pass he rides his bike to the top, then we put the bike back on the car & drive down the other side. We do the same thing going back to Switzerland after the meal."

I said " Are you sure you have this the right way round ?"

On another subject, aren't there some pompous gits around these days ?

Peter