We're selling up and going back

I would like to add my best wishes to those returning to the UK to start another chapter and to say thanks for opening this up as a most interesting thread.

Our new chapter begins when we move to France next year but we would like to think we are being realistic in our approach to it. The plan is to take a 'year out', leaving our house in the UK as a base for any return trips (my other half has a few weeks work lined up in th UK anyway).

If at the end of our planned time in France, we decide it isn't for us, we still have a lovely holiday home in France but we will return to the UK find another job and off we go. If. as I suspect, the French countryside, culture, weather and most importantly the B&B venture proves to be a stronger pull than a return to the UK, we will re-asses, plan our next course of action and try to increase the business.

I have read with interest, the comments regarding boredom, missing the English language, missing family etc. Surprisingly, many have written of missing children but no-one has mentioned elderly parents, which is my only concern. Still, I suppose it's still a case of we only get one life and have to live it to the full. Roll on next year and to taking things as they come.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,yes that is basically what we did. We had a wonderful time over here-although we kept going back to Uk anyway,and travelled to other countries too.In the end we decided we were just too young to get" buried " in the countryside.It was great and we haven't regretted any of it.The move away from Uk was good-and it made us appreciate what we would be giving up!!We still own the French homes- lovely for holidays. I feel that my parents need me however-or at least they will.The children have missed us too( and we them)-this has been good- they too realise what they have missed and are really pleased to have us back !!!  All's well that end's well -we wouldn't have missed our adventure for anything but it has made us re-assess and we value our UK lives much more now

Elderly parente bring them with you my mother is 70 and enjoying life here more than us she is so determined to stay that if we went back to blighty she would stay here. She has since dec2004 gone to yaoga lessons gone to line dancing gone to regular french lessons and joined in far better than us

There is a thread in Western France section with over 12000.

Thanks to all who posted and for the good wishes I got (pm's, email)

Watched 'No going back' on CH4 the other day and I got that feeling back like I had in what made me want to move abroad, I felt like getting up and doing a few renovations!

Still going back, but we're happy to keep the house if no takers.