Priorité à droite AGAIN!

code de la route 2005 has pages on "régimes de priorités" with pictures.

page 100

la voitue verte doit céder la passage à la voiture bleue.

attention, pour la voiture bleue, la priorité de passage n'est pas un doit. Le conducteur de la voiture bleue doit d'assurer que la voiture verte lui cède réellment le passage.

Come on everyone get a life.  We are not going to change PàD just by moaning about it here.

Learn to live with it (or die).

And is it just me or are those who are most vociferous against the PàD law,

those who are also most vociferous about people who ignore French employment laws and work on the black?

I am not trying to offend or upset anyone but we cannot pick and choose which bits of the French legal system we want everyone to abide by - you are either in or you are out.

"....And is it just me or are those who are most vociferous against the PàD law, those who are also most vociferous about people who ignore French employment laws and work on the black?

I am not trying to offend or upset anyone but we cannot pick and choose which bits of the French legal system we want everyone to abide by - you are either in or you are out"

You are not very integrated Andy!

We have both legs in and both legs out, in out, in out, that's what it's all about. Your neighbour will offer you some logs, some wine and some vegetables in exchange for a bit of this and a bit of that. Who's going to tell him he is acting illegally !

In Provence, our time was spent learning how to magouille and keep within the laws of such, without accusing the French of being oh so naughty. Still wondering which Govt dept the truffles are declared to......oh and the logs of course

P à D, easy peasy,yeh right, most stupid state of affairs there ever was !

On the route to Saint Malo, one dual carriageway (motorway really but...)runs off to Le Mont St Michel, as it tails towards the other dual carriageway, they are told to stop at the junction (motorways with stop signs to allow cars to carry on !!)Many can't comprehend it, result, last year two deaths, many injured, this year one dead, many accidents. DDE answer.....do nothing ! It's the motorists you see....

We know it and still I have, on occasion, had to slam the brakes on as it simply does not "ring true" that a stop sign would even be there and yep, I know, I am not paying attention and I know it's there!

I've driven around little housing estates in Holland, there is priority a droit. What can one say, anyone who isn't tootling around a housing estate anyway has got to be a moron. So having to stop and give way to another motorist is no big deal. And lets face it those cyclists there are feroce and vigilance is necessary.

Quite another matter on a road, long and straight with a speed limit of 90kph and a tractor or some wreck of a deux doch can pull out from behind a hedge and into you and it is your own fault.

Some things I can accept, I really could not have lived here so long if I have not got a very tolerant and accepting nature, but when there is no good sense to something and in fact it is dangerous, well I will keep on saying how stupid it is.  

I am not trying to offend or upset anyone but we cannot pick and choose which bits of the French legal system we want

Everyone else does!! 

And is it just me or are those who are most vociferous against the PàD law, those who are also most vociferous about people who ignore French employment laws and work on the black?

For one horrible moment there, I thought you were accusing TU of working on the black!   I was thinking of hiding behind the sofa until the sparks stopped flying!

You are not very integrated Andy!

Touché Miki. 

Quite right of course, since I am living over 80% in Germany that is where I am intergrated.  And Germans love their rules and regulations and obey them - except for speeding and especially on the French autoroutes.

Come on everyone get a life.  We are not going to change PàD just by moaning about it here.

Of course we're not Andy, but isn't this board supposed to be about debate and discussion?  Can we only talk about things we KNOW we can change?  Surely it's human nature to moan about things we don't like.  I certainly don't expect the law to change just because I don't like it, but I can still say that I think it's a stupid law.

And Miki:  THAT junction!!!  I nearly fall foul of it EVERY time we visit St Malo, and I KNOW it's there too!!!  Heaven help those entering France for the first time via St Malo

People don't always get time to research the highway code in the countries they are visiting.  Having never driven anywhere on the 'wrong' side of the road (had numerous debates with Americans about using that to describe the 'right' side of the road!) I had a period of about a year was I was suddenly thrown into working around the European offices of the company I worked for, with the odd trip to the NY office thrown in occasionally, with no break in between visits to research the next country or their rules.  The different currencies (must be so much easier doing this kind of thing now they have the Euro!) and the driving  rule changes were very confusing.

I remember stopping at a red traffic light (finding it strange that they were high overhead) ready for a right turn - I think it was onto the Long Island Expressway to Manhattan.  It was my first ever experience of driving anywhere other than Cyprus or Britain so I was a bit nervous and totally befuddled when the drivers behind me started beeping at me.  The people in the office later explained to me that in the US (as far as they were concerned it was all over the US, but I don't know if that is true) you can turn right on a red light.  To this day (after several trips to the States) I still don't understand the rules for pedestrian crossings!  I'm sure I was beeped at for stopping at a red light for a crossing and also for not stopping at a green light!

The next time I was puzzled by people beeping at me was on a medium sized road to the German office - cars from a tiny side road which I later found out expected priority to come onto this more main road.  I didn't realise they also had this rule in France as I must admit, when it came to our trip to the Paris office I copped out and let my American colleague drive for three weeks!

I remember in Milan my colleagues drove very fast and repeatedly went the wrong way down one way streets and were quite blase about it, while I was clinging on and terrified, waiting for someone to drive just as fast in the opposite direction and hit us, but I lived.

Can't remember where, but somewhere there was a rule where people coming on to the roundabouts had right of way, so a trip round a roundabout was a very odd affair, stopping and starting and desperately trying to get off the thing!

In Cyprus (20 years ago anyway) nobody believed in indicating - a beep of the horn or a wave out of the window basically meant 'warning - I'm about to do something - could be anything!'  A driving instructor told me there 'you think this is bad?  Try Rome - I went there and parked my hire car for four days, too terrified to drive!'

I think in any area where there are likely to be tourists or lots of visiting strangers, its best to be very nervous and very careful and watch everyone like a hawk - otherwise some uninformed person like I was might do something silly to cause an accident!

Can't remember where, but somewhere there was a rule where people coming on to the roundabouts had right of way, so a trip round a roundabout was a very odd affair, stopping and starting and desperately trying to get off the thing!

Sounds like France to me!  PaD again!!!  Thankfully this one really does seem to be dying out.  Although there is still the odd roundabout where it applies, which makes it all the more fun when driving in French towns - is this one of those roundabouts or isn't it

Debra, the roundabouts all used to be like that in France. You would accelerate onto them and then brake very very heard as you got to the next entry where everyone else was accelerating on. Fortunately there was only one in the region. When the rule changed I passed by a week or so later and the gutter all the way around was full of broken glass, piled up to the pavement.

Now we just have imbeciles going round the wrong way and one in a million who know how to indicate properly.