Toilet Paper Hmmmmm

I certainly believe that the cardboard tube in the centre of UK loo rolls has increased in diameter over the years. Maybe there's a technical reason for this, the manufacturers wouldn't want to put less sheets in for the same price, would they?

At least UK suppliers state the number of sheets in each roll!

Last year, in an inexplicable moment, I counted the number of sheets on a French toilet paper roll - it was 80. The pack of Tesco rolls I bought yesterday says "Average 241 sheets per roll". (Special Offer - 4 rolls for £1)

The other thing I noted was that the surface area of a French sheet was nearly 40% less than an English sheet. French packaging describes the contents as pure cellulose ... as though paper is not! I cannot think of any real reason why UK sourced toilet paper cannot be used.

Incidentally, according to the Tesco label:

Average sheet size 124 x 110mm

Average total area 13.15m2

Average roll length 29.88m

Information overload?

One side of the paper had the finish of waxed paper and the other side was like sandpaper.

Ray, the horrid stuff was called Izal.  I had an aunt and uncle who used nothing else so whenever I went to stay, my mother used to put a roll of Andrex in my suitcase for me.  It stank of disinfectant too, quite disgusting.  M

[quote]I certainly believe that the cardboard tube in the centre of UK loo rolls has increased in diameter over the years. Maybe there's a technical reason for this, the manufacturers wouldn't want to put le...[/quote]

**Last year, in an inexplicable moment, I counted the number of sheets on a French toilet paper roll - it was 80. The pack of Tesco rolls I bought yesterday says "Average 241 sheets per roll". (Special Offer - 4 rolls for £1)**

Any comment I would make here would just get me into trouble.

[quote]Ray, the horrid stuff was called Izal. Ours was called "Bronco" - but just as horrid... A[/quote]

**Ours was called "Bronco" - but just as horrid..**

THAT'S the one I remember. Terrible!

You had the choice of just smearing stuff around or walking funny for the rest of the day!

"the horrid stuff was called Izal"

Who would think to make water repellent toilet paper? A joker? You had to get a load & sit rubbing it together to de shine it.

We found some really decent loo paper, fosse friendly, on promo in L'eclerc a couple of weeks ago. Now can't find it anywhere! It was the equivalent to a decent UK one. It had a lab pup on, but the one they have now is the normal c?p?y thin stuff!

Yes, they are there Viva.

There was a Frenchman on a television programme a couple of years ago where they show different gadgets and things people have invented.

He was out fishing one day and his French toilet roll rolled down the bank and into the water.  Later on when he had a need, all he had was this damp roll.  But when he used it he found it was not bad at all.  So he thought people might sometimes appreciate this in a sticky situation.  He invented a system which dampened the toilet roll, so people could have the choice of using one or the other, and he was going round showing his new device and starting to get orders from hotels and restaurants.  I don't know what became of it...

Bronco ceased production when they lost the BR contract.

Think you can still get Izal.

You can get premoistened bog paper in America.

There was once an invention publicised in Viz magazine called the Clag-gone. This was rather like an upside down bicycle with a stiff brush instead of a rear tyre.

Brits will know what I am talking about when I refer to the paper that was provided in public toilets in the UK at one time. One side of the paper had the finish of waxed paper and the other side was like sandpaper.

Not just public lavs! Everyone had the damn stuff when I was a kid or was it just my rural backwater?  Most of the local Luddites continued extolling the virtues of Bronco for years ('better than that soft stuff; at least your fingers don't poke through it!).

And it was normal when I was at University, except for the day Ted Heath visited.  For that day only, every lavatory had the soft stuff in case the Grocer dropped in for a dump.