Unemployment benfit

sue702

My partner has just been made redundant (we are resident in Holland) and we are moving to France in September. Does anyone have any experience of claiming unemployment benefit in France, is he entitled to any money as we are all in the EU?

Sue

When you are residing in France you would do best to contact ASSEDIC first to see what rights to benefits you have, things are not always very simple here and many restrictions apply to foreigners not having paid into the french system.

It isn't easy to get unemployment benefit in France. It depends on how long a person has worked and how they leave their last employment. And it is only paid (amount depending on previous salary) for  certain amount of time (variable depending on how long  a person has worked) and then it stops.

I have no idea as to how the french would treat someone who arrived unemployed from another EU country though. They are so difficult with the paperwork which has to be absolutely just so, so no idea as to how they would treat foreign paperwork.

Hi,

Quote Economically active persons are entitled to equal treatment in social protection according to Regulations 1408/71 and 1612/68. The former applies to social insurance and health care. The latter applies to all "social and tax advantages" for workers, including welfare benefits Unquote

For further details go to http://bookshop.eu.int/ and search for Social Security.

Happy reading!

F24.

Teamedup, you yourself wrote

"I have no idea as to how the french would treat someone who arrived unemployed from another EU country though. They are so difficult with the paperwork which has to be absolutely just so, so no idea as to how they would treat foreign paperwork".

...and I have posted what I believe to be a good resource of information. I now wish I'd PMd it to the original poster only rather than perhaps giving you the benefit also.

In my experience the French social security departments have been very efficient, welcoming and amenable. (What comes around goes around)

F24.

Franglais,I don't think I understood what you were indicating then. I couldn't get the link you gave to do anything useful, but I did find this:

http://europa.eu.int/youreurope/nav/en/citizens/factsheets/eu/socialsecurity/unemploymentbenefits/en.html#206_3

EDIT, you changed your post Franglais. And I answered the first one you posted.

I can't remember anyone telling me that the following:

In my experience the French social security departments have been very efficient, welcoming and amenable. (What comes around goes around)

Our experience has been with our kids. Our eldest does seasonal work and has been known to sign on between seasons. That he has been treat like crap and I mean absolutely despicably is what has happened. The poor kid. His employers have often not bothered to give him the correct documentation and without that you are stuffed. The ASSEDIC could not give a stuff and send you back the employer, who also couldn't give a stuff. And then the letter comes from the ASSEDIC saying that you haven't furnished proper documentation and have no entitlement.

He isn't the only one, I've heard enough other people tell me such tales.

Around here it is all very very difficult. I'm pretty sure that Deby posted in the not too distant past that she had refused to leave the ASSEDIC offices until they sorted her file out, and they still didn't.

And what does what goes around comes around mean EXACTLY?????????

I have been told it is difficult for kids under the age of 18 to work also, because the employer needs to fill out 1 piece of paper and hand it over to assedic, and alot of employers, however silly it may seem, just cannot be bothered, therefore the young employee ends up not being able to work, when willing.  Even though i made tax contributions in UK i am unable to receive any "job seekers allowance" until i have worked 6 months in the country, which i can't understand , but thats the way it goes.

Could it be that its easier to transfer from one countries system to another?

Immediately before I left the U.K I was unemployed ( I wasn't entitled to any dosh, because I'd left my job to move to France and therefore had made my self unemployed) but I was told that had I been in receipt of JSA, I would have been supplied with whatever paperwork I needed to claim similar in France.

We came over this spring househunting and also looking for work. We signed on and claimed and received the french equivalent of UK jobseekers allowance, however, and this is perhaps why we managed it, we signed on in the UK first and told our job centre (bishops stortford in hertfordshire) that we were going to France, they provided the paperwork in French explaining we were jobseekers (demand d'emploi), although they had to check what to do because its quite rare, and the ASSEDIC in Cahors (46) and the ANPE in Soulliac (46) sorted out the rest. We just turned up, handed in our paperwork and played the les dumb anglais s'il vous plait m'aidez.

I couldn't have done it without the paperwork from England.

They ANPE here even arranged dedicated 1 hour a week support from an english speaker, CV translations (although that hasn't happened yet - I'm in IT and they are struggling with the technical terms) and also free french lessons (except, and this is beuaracracy gone made, now we are all europeans and our UK qualifications are transportable and recognised in the french systems as a bac++ we find ourselves too highly qualified to qualify for the french lessons and got bounced!!

c'est la vie.

It is timelimited though, and you can't keep channel hopping and signing on both ends. Useful cash whilst it lasted though.