Forum Performance

I have been having trouble logging on to site all day.

keep getting following message.

Server Error in '/' Application.

Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to

completion of the operation or the server is not responding.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[SqlException: Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior
 to completion of the operation or the server is
 not responding.]   System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader
(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior
 runBehavior, Boolean returnStream) +742   System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery() +194
InstantASP.InstantForum.Logic.UpdateLastLoginDate(Int32 UserID) +221
 InstantASP.InstantForum.Logic.UserLogin(Int32 userID) +983
InstantASP.InstantForum.WebSite.Global.Session_OnStart(Object Sender, EventArgs E)
System.Web.SessionState.SessionStateModule.RaiseOnStart(EventArgs e) +132
System.Web.SessionState.SessionStateModule.CompleteAcquireState() +512
System.Web.SessionState.SessionStateModule.BeginAcquireState
(Object source, EventArgs e, AsyncCallback cb, Object extraData) +693
System.Web.AsyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication+IExecutionStep.Execute() +66
System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +173

regards colin

Might be faster. Only took me 30 seconds to get

Server Error in '/' Application.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]

archantControls.adserver.bannerReader.getZoneHTML(String zoneType, Boolean imageAndText) +2088

archantControls.customControls.advertLiteral.Render(HtmlTextWriter output) +344

System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer) +241

System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter writer) +72

System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlContainerControl.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer) +29

System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlTableRow.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter writer) +47

System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlContainerControl.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer) +29

System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlTable.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter writer) +47

System.Web.UI.Control.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer) +7

System.Web.UI.Control.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer) +7

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +1909

Performance certainly improved earlier this week but posting is now very slow again, as someone else said it is slow, slow, quick quick, slow, but it seems to have settled for slow.  Movement within the Forum is quick but I have never had a problem with this anyway. The error page does clear after refresh or re-do

It looks like we've now reached the point where the delays during new posts are due to the forum system itself rather than anything we're doing on the web hosting platform or servers.

I'd be interested to get some feedback on whether it's always slow to post, or whether this only happens at peak times etc.

Thanks

4pm-ish UK time today - Mozilla: either slow to post or wouldn't post - session timeout msgs. Switched to IE which worked fine. I think the forum performance has been faster for me this week but I have a feeling that IE forum access times are faster than Mozilla. Which is irritating as I prefer / normally use Mozilla.

ps: I have a dialup connection - currently (and normally) 33kbps

All,

How are things now? We've been doing some performance tuning over the weekend that seems to have improved response times somewhat - or at least in our testing so far.

If today's test is anything to go by, browsing the forum seems to be generally faster and posting is a little better. I'm hoping this will be maintained throughout the week, but please let us know if this isn't the case.

Regards

[quote]All,How are things now? We've been doing some performance tuning over the weekend that seems to have improved response times somewhat - or at least in our testing so far.If today's test is anything to...[/quote]

Yes Tim I would agree with your findings for today, strange thing is that it has been very slow recently around 01.30 CET, not exactly a peak period, but is then when maintenance and backing up is performed?

Thanks Ron. You're right - we currently run database backups and consistency checks between 1-3am GMT. The way SQL Server 2000 handles these is to lock the tables to ensure that nothing changes during the operation, which seems to have a particularly negative impact on this forum system.

We're currently running some trials with SQL Server 2005's new high availability features which in addition to letting us do index rebuilds while keeping the server online, will let us shift all backup operations to a secondary server - which will stop slowing things down.

Cheers,

Tim