Hairdresing qualifications

colorna

My wife and I own a house in Charente Maritime for family use only. Our son is a UK qualified hairdressing instructor and examiner at NVQ level. He is considering re locating to France (living in our house!!) to either take up employment or be self employed as a hairdresser, not as an instructor. Are his qualifications (NVQ) acceptable in France or will he require French qualifications?

You might get a more "qualified" response if you post this on the www.totalfrance.com forum as I know that there is someone (tazza?) who works part time as a hairdresser at a salon in France, and she may know the answer.

Good luck.

" a few friends who are desperate for an english speaking hairdresser...........

and who are desperate enough to travel up to 500kms to have their done by an english speaking hairdresser

Does anyone who subscribes to TF ever suggest to these people that they learn to SPEAK French or if that is too hard get themselves a phrase book with a section for "At the hairdressers" and learn the key phrases like "something for the weekend madam?".  Just a thought,  are all these friends letting their hair grow until they find an english speaker?  Or are they offering themselves up as sacrifices to a FRENCH speaker with a pair of scissors and a blow dryer. Too awful to contemplate, I must lie down now.

Men are from Mars, Women from Venus...

I'm with Ron on this. I go to places where no-one tries to engage me in conversation. My favourites so far are "Where you goin' on your 'olidays is it?' and "Not at work today then?" "No, I'm a teacher, it's half-term." "Oh all them kids is ******s innit? I dunno how you does it."

I once had a haircut in France. Just once. You can see the result (and how pleased I was with it) in my avatar.

Hmmm, doesn't make a blind bit of difference if you can speak french or not. When I get back to France I am going into my local hairdressers and play merry hell.

I had it permed just before I came back and hoped it would settle down, it didn't, I just ended up looking like my mother and have had it cut three times and it is now very short and at last alright. I had been hoping to grow it a bit this winter....... no chance, I just could not walk around looking like that.

The ladies barber I have been going to is the gobbiest hairdresser I have ever been to and she is from down south. She does a remarkably good job though and is cheap and I am very happy. 

I had told my french hairdresser that I didn't want the bigoudi putting in in the way she was doing them, but she was adamant that she knew best....... I have never felt so old looking and decrepit in years as after her doing my hair.

Colorna, I hope your son will be a big success here, especially as he is bilingual (he will be able to "coiff" the French as well ).

If some of you are not happy with the hairdressers here, what do you expect if you go and see Mme. Bigoudi Rural down the road.  There are top quality salons here, the same as anywhere else, here are a few :

http://www.modefashion.net/index2.php3?cd=70c

I recently braved my first hair cut in France as I started to resemble the blokes you used to see in 70s prog rock bands!

I quickly came to the conclusion that there are 4 ages in French hairdressing minds and that each one gets shorter!

I don't think I will be needing another haircut until 2007!

Do they actually know what 'layers'are over here?

My OH is really particular about her hair, she used to pay a small fortune in the UK going to some very smart and exclusive hairdressers in Covent Garden, Trevor Sorbie I think.

Over here we managed to find a place where the owner, just by chance, not only trained at Vidal Sasoon in London in the 1970s but also speaks some English.  So now we get both haircuts/whatever women have done, for less that I used to pay in the UK.

What amazes me is that a small town like St Cyprien in 24 can support so many haidressing establishement and the coiffeur domiciles also.