Clocks go back tonight ?

Deimos

Dick and Miki,

Assuming Dick is at present in UK, you are both correct !!

Does anyone know what happens with radio control clocks? Do they jump backwards, mark time (sorry!) for an hour or just run slowly until they are correct again? (I mean the analogue ones of course).

I could I suppose stay up and watch but I'm not going to!

Another Dave

[quote]Dick and Miki, Assuming Dick is at present in UK, you are both correct !! Does anyone know what happens with radio control clocks? Do they jump backwards, mark time (sorry!) for an hour or just run ...[/quote]

Sorry "another Dave" it was supposed to be irony as I know Dick does live in England (but being the school hols though he could well be here though !)

As for the clocks no idea to be honest, our car radio gets set by some signal I guess, cause I never touch them but they adjust correctly themselves !

Before I got Sky I used to have Telewest cable TV and it was amusing at 2am to watch their whole scheduling system go up the Swannee. Sometimes they didn't get it sorted until the next day - it always seemed to come as a surprise ~ it's a bit existential, really, because it gets to 2am and then the next time is 1.01am, so 1.01 to 1.59 comes round twice. I'm always worried that one day it will go all Groundhog and we'll all be stuck between 1 and 2am forever...

[quote]Before I got Sky I used to have Telewest cable TV and it was amusing at 2am to watch their whole scheduling system go up the Swannee. Sometimes they didn't get it sorted until the next day - it always...[/quote]

I blame the French:, "Benjamin Franklin, while a minister to France, first suggested the idea in an essay titled "An Economical Project for Diminishing the Cost of Light." The essay was first published in the Journal de Paris in April 1784. But it wasn't for more than a century later that an Englishman, William Willett, suggested it again in 1907.

Willett was reportedly passing by a home where the shades were down, even though the sun was up. He wrote a pamphlet called "The Waste of Daylight" because of his observations.

Willett wanted to move the clock ahead by 80 minutes in four moves of 20 minutes each during the spring and summer months. In 1908, the British House of Commons rejected advancing the clock by one hour in the spring and back again in the autumn.

Willett's idea didn't die, and it culminated in the introduction of British Summer Time by an Act of Parliament in 1916. Clocks were put one hour ahead of Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) during the summer months.

England recognized that the nation could save energy and changed their clocks during the first World War."

But it's still a pain in the *ss to walk round the house twice a year fiddling with timepieces. Multiply this by the number of people in the world fighting with their clocks tomorrow and you have to wonder why we can't put the er, time, to better purpose.

I'm all for digital time - ten hours in the day, ten days in the week, ten months in the year , and so on. Can't imagine for a moment why it wouldn't work...

Bah. Humbug!

A sweet young thing thought she might have some fun with a stiff-looking military man at a cocktail party, so she walked over and asked him when was the last time he had made love to a beautiful woman.

'1956,' was his immediate reply.

'No wonder you look so uptight!' she exclaimed. 'Honey, you need to get out more.'

'I'm not sure I understand you,' he answered, glancing at his watch. 'It's only 2014 now.'

sue

[quote]Before I got Sky I used to have Telewest cable TV and it was amusing at 2am to watch their whole scheduling system go up the Swannee. Sometimes they didn't get it sorted until the next day - it always...[/quote]

Dick,

Many moons ago, I took our two eldest kids (they were just little kids then) to see Groundhog Day and I kept looking at their blank faces ! I couldn't help, it took me all my concentration to try and suss the film out myself or at least, to try and see why they made it at all!!

Is it just because Bill Muray was in the film that made it hard to fathom out !

"Does anyone know what happens with radio control clocks? Do they jump backwards, mark time (sorry!) for an hour or just run slowly until they are correct again?"

Dave, like yourself I have not seen how a radio controlled analogue timepiece corrects its self.  I would assume the hands would alter immediately it receives the signal which in Western Europe would come from either Rugby(UK) or Mainflingen(Germany) at 2am BST and  is effective around 1500 miles from the transmitter. I have watched in the past digital timekeepers and they change instantly.

I for one would only wish I had got more radio controlled watches and clocks as I have just altered 47 timepieces which included some of the following: DVD and Video players, Burglar alarm, Time switches, Mobile phones, Oven, Fridge, Microwave, Boiler, Fax Machine, PDA and Radio. Thats what I have remembered and twice a year is too often! One item I have left out is my car clock, which is fortunately corrected from my inbuilt satnav.

Baz

[quote]Dick,Many moons ago, I took our two eldest kids (they were just little kids then) to see Groundhog Day and I kept looking at their blank faces ! I couldn't help, it took me all my concentration to try...[/quote]

Oh dear, I'm afraid Groundhog Day is one of my all time favourites in spite of normally not liking Bill Murray at all.

I'm glad the clocks have gone back, I hate it being so dark in the mornings and always think the last few weeks of October are the gloomiest time of the year.

My radio controlled clock is still waiting to pick up the signal though, I believe it comes from Hamburg (the signal not the clock) and it can take a couple of days to get the message

I'm glad to see, for the first time ever AFAIK, that this Forum is now showing the correct time.

Liz (29)

WJT, I also love Groundhog Day, i think It's one of Bill Murrays best films, it reminded me of a funny thing one of my good friends said when we were discussing it once, which was and i quote " it was ok but i found it a bit repetitive", we had to pick most of the office up from the floor after that one,  and dont get me started on caddyshack and the gofers!!!!!

Emma