HEATING!

Hello

It's ok having woodburners petrol heaters a couple of convectors ect, but it is not very efficient,and if you total everything up it turns out to be pretty expensive for what you get. Decent wood at €35 a stere is very cheap the last time I bought any it was around €53/stere. Of course you have to stock' stack' and carry wood, and when you add to that the need for frequent redecoration the costs add up. I pay €220 per month for my all electric house (4 beds 3 bathrooms double oven) and it is warm all day and all night.

I just wanted to warn Lou's husband that the piles of cut wood laying around the countryside are not unowned/unclaimed. They are seasoning ready to be sold/used in future years. A pile went missing near here a couple of years ago and the old guy who had cleared, cut and stacked it was furious and blamed les anglais! He said that no French person would take it.

Regarding the modern equivalent of the old pariffin heaters which are available in bricos, they are excellent especially if you buy a more expensive all singing/dancing model. Very efficient. Friends have converted their huge grenier space into an open plan sitting room/music room (with a double glazed glass wall overlooking a stunning view). At present it's heated soley by one of these little oil heaters (until the chimney for the woodburner is finished), we've been there recently on a very cold evening and the whole area (must be at least 80sq metres) was very warm.

We had oil central heating installed three years ago and should have had some sort of solar alternative installed at the same time as the prices have risen so much. Have heardly had it on yet this year though as we have a very efficient woodburner!

"I just wanted to warn Lou's husband that the piles of cut wood laying around the countryside are not unowned/unclaimed. They are seasoning ready to be sold/used in future years. A pile went missing near here a couple of years ago and the old guy who had cleared, cut and stacked it was furious and blamed les anglais! He said that no French person would take it."

Many thanks for the warning, it was more in terms of fallen trees and the like!  I can imagine that if anything went missing around here we would probably get the blame plus our own logs stacked just outside the house will probably start walking too!

Thanks again everyone for the info

Lou.