Right to live in Britain

Tag

I refer to a strange comment by the poster in Finance, Class 2 NI Contributions ..... charges ahead for expats:

................those who retrun to the UK from the EU and have to fill in forms to prove that they are eligible for Uk resdiency.  This despite it being quite clearly stated on the IRS site that those of UK origin have an automatic right to re-entry.

There are two cases I know of persoanlly where this has happened and, when the person concerned stated that they were born in the UK and held a UK passport they were told that did not count.

It may be that if the residency idea is pushed to the limit as a way of saving money we may find that we do not have the right to re-enter the UK.

Anyone come across this? Can't think it is right though I can see the bl**** bureaucrats having a field day with returning expats. Far as I am concerned the right of return is absolute if one was born in UK and holds a Brit passport.

I can't see how they could be denied residency. I can believe that they

might not satisfy the residency requirements to allow them full access

to a pension, but that would not be the same thing. If they had been

living in the EU, surely they would have been making contributions in

whichever state they had been resident during their absence from the UK

and a pension would forthcoming from there...

Hi Teamed up,

I got it from Complete France... » Living in Franc... » Finance » Class 2 NI contributions....changes ahead for expats?

Far as I know our rights are absolute. But one might have to declare assets when returning or even miss out on certain benefits as not having been working in the UK. I do worry however as I still remember Dennis Healey's comments about expats, despite the fact that we were remitting huge sums to the UK at the time. Also, I am not sure that a residency qualification is legal under European law.

As far as I am aware, if you are a British citizen then you have the right of abode in the UK, but if you are a British subject or another type of British national you may not.

This is stated in para 2 of the notes in my passport.

I can't see what has been paid to the state in the past can have any  bearing on this.

The following is taken from the Home Office website and so can be assumed to authoritative.

It seems pretty clear to me 

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/ind/en/home/applying/british_nationality/advice_about_nationality/bn1_-_british_citizenship.html?

People who are closely connected with the United Kingdom (including the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man) and, in most cases, the British overseas territories ... are British citizens. British citizens have the right to live here permanently and are free to leave and re-enter the United Kingdom at any time.

IanS, sometimes the french authorities believe they need to know this information and the british embassy will furnish, at a hefty price, exactly this info for the french authorities. Tis exactly the same info as is on the passport but a passport is not good enough for french officialdom. I do know this, we have been through this a couple of times now.

I believe the reason for this is that  the french authorities hold little regard for their own passports

. What really counts for french citizens is their ID cards, and are expected to have them with them if they have to present themselves at their embassy when abroad.

I once met the bloke who wrote the books about touring the world on a dollar a day. He told us all about how a french passport was considered by the french authorities and how he was treat when his ID card had expired during his absence from France. And knowing this, I wasn't really surprised that they had little regard for a british passport either.