A pain in the ass?

IAN_S

Since this software changed I find I'm not wasting anywhere near the time I did before actually reading postings due to the (IMHO) very strange way of organising them. Where previously I looked at any posts since my last visit which suited me fine as I looked every day and found a relatively small number from different forums, now I look at two forums which doesn't take very long and I can get back to all the things I love doing like washing up, mucking out horses, shopping, etc.

Is everybody else happy too?

Several people have said to me that they find this version of the forum much more difficult to use than its predecessor. Just shows you can't please everybody. The posts aren't really organised any differently, it's just the way of finding new mesages that's not the same.

Top of the 'I miss this feature' list for the new forum seem to be the lack of the 'posts since last visit' option. I know that selecting 'Active' will show this, but for most people it doesn't do quite the same thing. Alternatively, the 'Not Read' option will go some of the way, but in order to use this it needs to have a 'mark all as read' button.

I don't find there is much difference in the new forum. Sorry, I can't think of anything I actually like better but then I was quite happy with everything before. The one thing I miss is not being able to read a glimpse of posts by moving the curser over them unless I log in which I don't usually bother to do unless I want to reply. Any way of switching this facility on without logging on? It is such a useful tool and saves a lot of time opening threads that are not always clear as to their contents by their title.

For me the new software is different and the new forums are

significantly better.  I’ve not used the

search yet but the performance (speed of pages being displayed) is much better

and matches that of other sites (maybe marginally slower but really not a

problem before).

Anything that changes will always take some time to get used

to, to find out how it operates, etc. 

There are cosmetic aspects I do not find as “easy”, but in practice I

thing this is more a question of familiarity than anything else.

From my perspective the change seems to be a dramatic

improvement.

Ian

Thanks Will, I realise I can log in automatically but the fact remains that with the old system I didn't have to in order to have the curser-browser facility and I would still prefer it that way as maybe other "guests" might do who haven't yet signed up. I presume it would be easy to reinstate it on this forum?

[quote user="Perlats"]Thanks Will, I realise I can log in automatically but the fact remains that with the old system I didn't have to in order to have the curser-browser facility and I would still prefer it that way as maybe other "guests" might do who haven't yet signed up. I presume it would be easy to reinstate it on this forum?[/quote]

Hi,

I have changed the settings for this now.

James

[quote user="Perlats"]

Many thanks James for the reinstatement of the cursor browser.

Oops, now I can't get it to work and I am logged in!

[/quote]

Hi,

Should be working OK, it's working for me and I have checked your details and it should be showing. It won't show on 'forum' main links but it should for 'posts'.

James

Hi James

No, it's not working for posts for me whether or not I log in. Isn't that weird? I know I am enabled for logging in, is it required to enable it when not logged in? If so where? Could it be my computer? It's not a major problem but slightly irratating. Thanks for looking into it for me.