French Exchange

Teamedup

Interesting watch, but especially what the french were saying. The camp site people, his french seemed fine, but if he could speak, then he seemed rather incapable of listening at all.

My general impression was that the host nation seemed rather unimpressed with the invading brits.

And the Normandy woman, hmmmmmm well as she said, she can't understand much and I agree, she doesn't understand much.

The campsite man gave the impression he was talking but not listening to the mayoress. His body language was interesting, in fact they both leaned away from each other, and he would speak but not look at her whilst doing so. A bit of Ronnie Barker re the phantom sign snatcher of ye olde ville methinks

Villagers seemed to resent being excluded from camp events albeit campsite man said he put up posters (promptly nicked by above phanom?). A brochure through doors of locals might have been better?

I loved the program... Got my husband in a frenzy after he emitted a chuckle when the parisian restaurant owner (forgive me I can't remember his name) went about his shopping on a moped as French people do.... to which I answered 'Don't laugh as you are TOO afraid to do it!' (i.e. move to France... I think it is the thought of having his out-laws on the door step syndrome...)

The campsite chap did not have a fast enough French retort to tell Madame le Maire to stick it... I think she is the one that just did not want to co-operate. One of these women not tuned into a receiver of ideas or compromises... The phantom collector of camping site signs was very close to my heart as we have had our signs knicked more than once over the years and after some 15 years of trading, the council as finally agreed we could have some and that happens  

.... in WALES!!!!!......

Next Wednesday (30/11) is all about the French who have made their home in UK!...

and boohoo!! the researchers did not come to my door...... n'er mind I'll watch to see if my compatriots do have the same ideals, motivations, expectations, concerns, any of which thwarted and/or fulfilled... etc... as I have (had) .....

The only person who seemed to have an idea of how things work in france was the Parisian chef and he was working himself into the ground, poor man.

I felt sorry for the woman in Normandy. She felt that the other parents weren't staying to the birthday or chatting with her at school because she was English, where it's just that french parents don't generally stay at birthday parties (or talk easily to newcomers at school) It's so eay to take that personally.

The camp site situation was wierd, you got the feeling that we were missing a lot of information. It looked like a  dialogue des sourds. The Mayor was in major french agressive defense mode and it felt very "us and them" What I found hard to understand was that they have been in France 14 years, so logically their kids went to the local school. Even if the parents aren't integrated (and don't seem to want to be) surely the children have a better contact with the village? But that wasn't the feeling you got.

[quote]The only person who seemed to have an idea of how things work in france was the Parisian chef and he was working himself into the ground, poor man. I felt sorry for the woman in Normandy. She felt th...[/quote]

I do agree about the camp site situation, Mistral.  There was something missing that we were not told. OK so Mme le Maire didn't have a budget but somebody does, most villages are very keen to advertise what they have on offer in the way of Commerces etc.   I too wondered about the kids, they must have gone to the village school and the local College surely?

As for the restaurant man and the young woman in Normandy I could only hope that a number of people who ask questions on this Forum have taken careful note.  The problems of a very small businesses were very well illustrated I thought. Equally the isolation of women with small children and very little command of the language, possibly expecting all their rural neighbours to fall over with enthusiasm to make friends, was well shown.

Liz (29)

• 3 weeks later...
Just wanted to say that we went out for our office Christmas lunch today - much to my surprise i discovered it was to that restaurant with the nice young overworked owner. The food was fabulous & the service was great & he now has a young girl working for him.

I asked him afterwards if things were better & he seems very happy with the publicity he's had.

Shall definitely go back there to eat again.