an incredible story!!!

Chauffour

we have the proof that the world is a small place:

our place in Dordogne, Chauffour, was restored in the 70's by a german journalist.

around 1989 he decided to sell to a german couple.

the same day the money was exchanged and they got the keys, the couple started the  drive from the  estate agent office to the house.

unfortunately they had a car accident and the man died. the wife decided to sell  and never moved to Chauffour.

The person who bought it keept it for 12 years before selling  to us.

last Monday i was delivering one of my famous Tiramisu' here in Cape Town, where we live during the european winter;  we started chatting and when i told them i was living in Dordogne, the lady started becaming white, then i said around Riberac, and she became whiter..., when i said that the actual village is called Allemans, she started shaking... and finally when i mentioned the name of the house, she was crying....

... she is the wife of the dead man!!! i showed her the website and she recognised the houses...

she is now remarried and after living in Namibia for several years, has moved to South Africa!

isn't this incredible???

They say in a chain of 7 people,across the world, you will find someone who knows the first.

Covering not quite the same distance and circumstances.We went to a street market 40kms from our home near St.Malo.Called in a Cafe,too smoky, next Cafe, chap spoke to us and he was friend of our next door neighbour in Bournemouth and his wife recognised me from work 35yrs ago.Often when talking to visitors we find a common aquaintance.

Regards.Nr.St.Malo.

When I first visited my house in Lot et Garonne I realised that I needed someone to cut my grass during my absences and found a local Englishman with whom I came to an arrangement. A few days later I had a phone call from his wife who told me that she had grown up in the English village where I now live. In fact my house backs onto the house she had grown up in.

Two years ago, at a dinner party arranged by an old friend who had moved to a French property close to mine, I started talking to the man next to me and realised that we had been at school together. He had changed over the 50 or so years since we had last met.

... and here is a little twist: we were on a family holiday in Le Lavandou. My daughter and her friend did not want to be on the beach near us and moved away.  While doing some topless sunbathing they heard a familiar voice. Their headmaster was sitting next to them.

One summer I chatted to a lady in our village (in 17) and told her I was off to the Limousin for a week as I sometimes  teach at a summer school there. She asked whereabouts and I replied that it was not far from Limoges, she then wanted to know where exactly. When I told her it was C........... it turned out that she had been evacuated there from Caen for some time during the war and she and her family had  lived above the abattoir. That old abattoir is in the garden of the house where I stay !

Apparently this lady went back at the end of the war, visited the family who befriended her and then stayed on with them for another 4 years while she finished her education. This time she lodged in the house and slept in the same attic room that I sleep in when I am there.

Life is strange and certainly full of coincidences.

Clarkkent, I love the holiday story, I bet your daughter had quite a shock!

Whilst visiting the world ice skating championships in San Francisco where we had all event tickets we were seated next to a Canadian couple who had a daughter the same age and the girls got friendly.  After the event they corresponded and my daughter went to stay with the family in Rocky Mountain House.

During her stay she visited the University of Calgary where the daughter was studying.  In the common room a girl came up to her and said I think I know you.  I was an exchange student at your school in Sydney last year!

After my daughter returned to Sydney, and the Canadian girl had spent a holiday here, she sent us a letter from Canada telling Imogen how one day at Uni she heard an Australian accent.

She asked the girl do you know Imogen Hewitt.  Bearing in mind the size of Australia, the distance from Canada and likelihood of this girl knowing my daughter imagine the surprise.  Yes I do I train at the same ice rink.  Turned out this girl was on a scholarship as a speed skater and trained with my daughter who at the time was quite a good figure skater!!

On the same trip we visited the Grand Cannon.  Leaning over the rails to oh and ah at the view guess who was walking past but the girls’ head mistress from Sydney who had been on a conference!!!

So yes indeed it is a small world and getting smaller!