GDF Prices

Teamedup

Just had my annual bill for gas (and electricity) from the GDF. We used 1651 'units' of gas. And the price  was 38.855 cents per unit ttc.  The abonnement was 124 euros ttc pa. The abonnement will be more next year as I imagine the gas will be. We have used more gas this last year, but 2003/2004 was milder.

Not really anything to do with TU's post but we had a frantic call from a friend in England today who had just received a bill from EDF/GDF for over 12,400€ for two months' electricity for her French maison secondaire (she hadn't been there during that period).

We checked, and found the meter reading was in fact correct. Judie phoned, saying that it was impossible to have used that much even if everything in the house had been left on (and the rest of the village plugged in).

EDF had an explanation - the meter reading was something over 97,000 units. Last time it had actually been read it was nearly as high. The last few bills had been estimates, based on the previous owners' use. The last estimate had taken the 'virtual meter' just over 100,000, as it only has five digits then this read about 200. So the charge was for an estimated consumption of about 96800 units.

The result was that instead of 12,400€ being taken out of friend's account in a couple of weeks time, she'll have quite a nice refund put in, having overpaid on the last few estimated bills. EDF did say that somebody should have noticed the stupid bill, but didn't...

So remember this, if your meter looks as if it's about to go round the clock.

• 10 months later...
[quote user="Teamedup"]

Just had my annual bill for gas (and electricity) from the GDF. We used 1651 'units' of gas. And the price  was 38.855 cents per unit ttc.  The abonnement was 124 euros ttc pa. The abonnement will be more next year as I imagine the gas will be. We have used more gas this last year, but 2003/2004 was milder.

[/quote]

I am renting a property and have agreed to pay the gas consumption. I can read the units consumed from the meter but I don't receive the bill so cannot read the cost per unit. I have, as someone suggested, gone to the GDF website and entered my post code to see the tarrifs for my area.

However I am confused by what my landlord is saying I owe and the amounts that "Teamedup" has quoted.

The GDF site states 6.94 centimes TTC per kWh. Does one kWh equate to one unit on my meter?

If it doesn't can someone explain the way to calculate the units shown on my gas meter.