looking back on 2005

hardhat

Another year gone by,everyone making new wishes wich i hope you will get,me im thinking of the past year a little bit,i think in general ive had a good year,not great,but good,got lots done on the barn we live in,got regestered for work here and had enough to keep the wolf from the door,had a couple of weeks holiday with the grand kids in spain ,needs some thinking to reflect on everything thats happened,i thought there was more negative things happend but decided they wernt to bad and just part of life.Looking farward, i will just try to make life better for me and mine,happy new every one and luck with those wishes

My over whelming memory of 2006 is of July 6th and 7th. On the 6th I went with my daughter and sister to Hampton Court Garden Show, my daughter was working there and staying in London overnight. Around lunchtime I was in one of the marquees with my sister when the news of London getting the Olympics was announced - a great cheer went up from the crowds and the atmosphere was fantastic ! It was a really happy day.

The next morning my husband told me the underground was closed due to a 'power failure', of course we were immediately concerned for our daughter who does not travel on the underground very often, ( yes I know she's an adult ! )and we were suspicious of the 'power failure' statement. I can tell you that the seconds that it took her to pick up her mobile phone were probably the longest of my life ! She was safe and already at Hampton Court.

After that it seemed as if the whole day was spent with one eye on the news and phoning around to make sure friends and relatives were OK.............there was such a contrast between the days I think it will always stay in my mind

Our memento of 2005 (as well as my red Yamaha!) is blond and four-legged.  He arrived chez nous cold and scared and whimpering on Dec 10.

He has a fetish for footwear and underwear ("pre-worn" is best), and is often to be found in front of the fire surrounded by a collection of such treasures.   All our visitors have now seen my entire knicker collection.  [:$]

I'm hard as nails, me, [;)] but I guess he's staying, cos he's kinda cute.

Apart from the July 7 events, my memory will be this is the year that we moved to France, with everything that has gone with it.  We've been flooded, ended up in a legal dispute with the previous owners, not been able to decorate etc etc. and have lived with the most awful kitchen and bathroom.

But, we've also met some nice people - Di and John Iceni among them - had some great times, cooked some great food, new wines and stuff, seen all sorts of those places you never really get to see as a tourist.

Our garden is wonderful, just needs lots of work on it, business is absolutely crazy, more work that we know what to do with so I've realised that this retirement lark is a con.  And we're now negotiating to buy two additional peices of land, not to build on though, one next to ours and the other in the village.

Best memory, apart from wonderful evenings with friends and family on the terrace in the summer was my Xmas card from Jenny - 'Thank you for making my dream come true', now that's made everything worthwhile.