How do I address the Maire in writing??

Yvonne

I need to write an urgent 'attestation' to the Maire but, whilst we do know him by name, I am not sure how I

a) address the attestation or

b) how I begin the letter. Is it Monsieur Le Maire ??

Help....I really don't want to get the formalities wrong on this one!

Thanks,

Abi

Monsieur le Maire, yes, that's fine. As an aside, have just seen on the France Loisirs site a very good book on letters to admins and the likes, not a bible of unbridled fun, but useful heavy artillery nonetheless. It's a 'pavé' (thick book) called '700 lettres pour régler vos litiges et garantir vos droits', very useful, only 18 euros I think through France Loisirs, you're bound to know s.o who's with them, get that pavé offered to you as a prezzie since many France Loisirs customers struggle to buy the obligatory book every term and are open to suggestions.

NB SPELLING OF LA MAIRIE CORRECTED

On a formal letter,  think opposite to the UK.  It should look something like this:

Abim   LARUE                                                                   Calais  le 15/07/2005

59 Rue de St Martin 

59220 CALAIS

Le Maire

La Mairie

59220 CALAIS

Monsieur Le Maire,

Well that is what my French course work book says........

Le Maire

La Marie

59220 CALAIS

Ron,

I was joking about this with SB the other day on here. All the Mairies I know are spelt "Mairie" I am not being pedantic but wonder why so many do often say it and pronouce it as such "Marie" I am now worried it is me that has had it wrong for a pretty long time and thirty lashings with a whippy andouillette might be my punishment

[quote]Miki, The Maire is the man (or woman) and Mairie is the place (The Town Hall) or have I missed something.....[/quote]

Correct MM but my point was Ron had put La Marie and as you quite rightly point out M le Maire (or Mme Le Maire not La !!)is the Mayor and the Mairie is the place not La Marie but Ron could have simply missed out an "i". Which is why I said I didn't want to be pedantic.

And on here, we do get Marie often put instead of the Mairie, Is that clearer ? although my mind is now so confused and there is still one more "Bastille" day to eat and drink through !!I know people say that "Bastille" is not used here but what the heck, you can only have one fete nationale and we have 3 here this year!

Nah Christine, IMHO, and having closely studied the above mentioned clues, my findings are as follows:

Le Maire est le mari de la mère de Marie Lemaire, née Lemerre, domiciliée Place de la Mairie et actuelle Mairesse. Marie, fort marrie et amère, pense déménager à la mer dans son Hymer.

[quote]Correct MM but my point was Ron had put La Marie and as you quite rightly point out M le Maire (or Mme Le Maire not La !!)is the Mayor and the Mairie is the place not La Marie but Ron could have simpl...[/quote]

Thank you for picking that up Miki, I did miss off the i, problem is that I took the layout example, edited of course,  from a letter I sent to our Mairie, good job I apologised in advance for the accuracy of my written French, so I might escape Madame la guillotine yet

I am now worried it is me that has had it wrong for a pretty long time and thirty lashings with a whippy andouillette might be my punishment

I don't think that you are wrong at all Miki, it's something I have to correct my mum on every time she mentions it.  Even so, had you been wrong, I think that lashings with a whippy andouillette is much more than anyone but the most aweful criminal should have to endure

[quote]Nah Christine, IMHO, and having closely studied the above mentioned clues, my findings are as follows: Le Maire est le mari de la mère de Marie Lemaire, née Lemerre, domiciliée Place de la Mairie et ...[/quote]

Hi vraititi, very good !

As far as Hymer is concerned, I got stuck with a German chap at Frontignan plage once, who went to great lengths to tell me that Hymer is pronounced "oooommerrr" in Germany, something I now realise, that I am so glad to know

Ron, it's never too late, they might make it a double...you and black jack for the chop

[quote]I am now worried it is me that has had it wrong for a pretty long time and thirty lashings with a whippy andouillette might be my punishment I don't think that you are wrong at all Miki, it's someth...[/quote]

It's the terrible thought of "what if one of the bu ggers burst" on my nether regions...... errggghhhh

Moi, j'adore les calembours, surtout les foireux ! Yours are bilingual, which makes them exquisite, forcément ! Et puis, I had no choice but to brush up my mediocre calembour's skills as I will be gallivanting round Honfleur in a few weeks' time, Honfleur, whose most famous literary son is Alphonse Allais, the King of CalembourLand and Grand Esprit devant l'éternel amongst many other talents.

Mea culpa, there was a crucial omission in my Maire's bit which must have rendered the piece totally incomprehensible. Of course, I should have made it clear that Marie Lemaire, née Lemerre, is now Mairesse de Mer (Loir-et-Cher), not Mairesse des Saintes-Marie-de-la-Mer (Gard) any longer. Pourquoi Mer ? Oh ben, le Sud, elle en avait marre, la p'tite mère.

Yes, and what about that most fantastic old Renaud song (can't remember the title) that goes: 'when I have rencontred you, you was a jeune fille au pair, and you put a spell to me, and I rouled a pelle to you, together we go partout, on my mob, it was super, etc.'. Yes, that sort of thing, I love it ! You know, I met Voulzy a long time ago at a very drunken Printemps de Bourges, in some bar in town, fabulous time we had, very laidback guy, I have a great Voulzy compil that I listen to now and again, I love his mushy melodies. I love the early Souchons as well (20/25 yrs ago, sorry), even cretinous songs like 'allo maman bobo' (that's even older !) are fab, his melodies were ace, I wish these artists were successful outside of the tiny Francophone world, they are so talented. You should start writing yr own Franglish pun-filled lyrics you know, there's a huge market for it now !

I don't mean to be an awkward bougre, but who are these sanctimonious users you're referring to Miki ? (I must say that I haven't noticed much activity on this front in this Forum)

Doesn't look like you're buying much reinforcement this season (to win CL that is), so, going for the Double again ? (FA and League Cups this time)