Legal Status

Hi Everyone

Great site just joined. Could anyone help please?

My wife is French but has been living in England and Ireland with me for the past 21 years, still has French citizenship passport etc. she is now thinking of returning to live in France and nice girl that she is, would also like me her British husband to go with her - how lovely!!

Anyone know what my status would be - have I a right to live in the country if I am married to a French woman or is there some beuracratic nightmare awaiting for us?

Is there any such thing as Income support or financial assistance while I / we are looking for work?

Many thanks

Granville

Getting the dole straight away........ please please please if you have a tuyau as to how this works please let us know and I shall pass it on.

I don't know of anyone who can do this easily or get a half decent amount from them if they were on the SMIC during their contract, especially seasonal workers.

Hi Everyone

Thanks for the replies - I suppose my main concern is - is there a safety net in France as there is here in England and Ireland - something like Social Security payments?   Don't get me wrong I am not a dole dosser or looking to scrounge - I have worked since leaving school at 16 - now 50 and paid N.Insurance ever since but I am concerned because I know I would need at least 6 months realistically to get up to speed enough with the language to have any chance of self-employment or getting a job. I'm O.K. around the dinner table but would need far more language skills to work in I.T. as I do now.

Anyway thanks everyone any advice gladly accepted.

Granville

To get dole in France one has to have a working history and it is paid (or not, as they are very good at getting out of it) against that for a limited period. 

To get the revenue minimum d'insertion I think that you would have to have three months french residence and be in dire straights to get it.

If you are receiving contribution based job seekers allowance in the UK you will continue to receive it in France, check out the W& P website for further details. 

Contribution-based Jobseeker's Allowance
You cannot usually get contribution-based Jobseeker's Allowance outside the European Economic Area (EEA).

You may be able to get contribution-based Jobseeker's Allowance in the EEA for up to 3 months if you:

• Are entitled to contribution-based Jobseeker's Allowance on the day you go abroad

• Have registered as a jobseeker for at least 4 weeks before you leave. This can be less in special circumstances

• Are available for work and actively seeking work in Great Britain up to the day you leave

• Are going abroad to look for work

• Register for work at the equivalent of a Jobcentre in the country you are going to within 7 days of last claiming Jobseeker's Allowance in the UK. If you do not, you may lose benefit

• Follow the other country's system for claiming benefit, and

• Follow the other country's benefit rules, such as being available for and actively seeking work that would have applied if you had stayed in the UK.

The rules are different if you get a training allowance. For more information please contact your local Jobcentre Plus office, Jobcentre or social security office.

Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
If you are going abroad permanently you cannot get income-based Jobseeker's Allowance.

You cannot usually get income-based Jobseeker's Allowance while you are abroad for a temporary stay. For more information contact your local Jobcentre Plus office, Jobcentre or social security office.

not sure how it works for Ireland, many of the Irish I know work here on the black!!

No never worked in France

It seems to me that we have a kind of catch22 situation here - you need to be in work to get a Carte de Sejour and you can't claim any kind of benefits without a Carte de Sejour which means you have to have been  working.

Ils ne sont pas con les francais !!!

Thanks Ron for the tip about not being elegible if you are moving permanently might be best to rent for 3 months give us a chance to get sorted.

G.

Granvillec, I thought that the buffoon was addressing me as he seems to be obsessed and annoyed by the idea that I have never had to work since we moved to France.

You can live and work in France without a titre de sejour, we UE ressortissants are entitled to live and work in France without having to have any french ID these days.

And in fact even when carte de séjour were still in place, you did not

need one to sign on.  I know because I did it when I first got

here, I didn't get any money, and didn't expect any, but my OH's social

security requested it.  I would say no hope of getting any money,

best go with savings and be prepared to take on whatever work is going

until your French is up to speed. 

I would add there is no plus in having a French spouse in

administrative terms, except it means you can get a livret de famille,

which is not really very excitingor indeed useful!

Unlike TU,I work in both France and the UK,unlike TU who as NOT worked in France at all,because like me she thinks the French pay is rubbish.There was an article in one of the newspapers this week(sorry not sure which)which in a poll the French came out the worst for bosses which took the most offence at being answered back to in the work place,until you work for a French firm,bare it in mind!

I have worked, and have been paid a salary in France by a French business, for a few months, a year or two back.  Does this mean I can claim the dole?

I had never even thought about it before

It would come in handy for paying the bar bill down at the golf club.

Patrick

There are time limits on it, one can go back,but only so far, maybe as far as two years, but I have a feeling it may be 18 months or a year. And then one has to have worked a certain amount of days or hours per month minimum for at least a specified amount of time. And then what they give is based on this. The ASSEDIC would be able to give you all this info, but it sounds unlikely that you would get anything.