Lingerie

Cat

I saw on the TF1 news lunchtime that french women spend an average of 122 euros each on underwear every year.

122 euros!  They must either be buying an awful lot of pure silk or have whole wardrobes full of the stuff [^o)]

Or perhaps they're just not cheapskates like me who wait for the sales before parting with their lovely lucre... I really must try harder.

... well you will have to start, if your new dog keeps chewing it all up !

Once when  we had a loss in the family one of my female cousins said "the thing I find most awful about dying is the thought of someone going through my knickers drawer"...  Perhaps that is what the French ladies are worried about and are taking their precautions  [8-|]

Cathy, did you notice the bit at the end about men now buying women's underwear (ooh err missus!)?   In the old days [;)] it used to be a problem, they would come into the shop with no idea of size or anything, but apparently nowadays they're very clued up about exact size, taste (ooh err missus) and whatever else is needed for such intimate purchases.

Not that I'd ever drop Mr SB into it, but really, I thought it was moving into fantasy land........  [:)]

I don't watch the news on TF1 if I can help it, but France 2 had a report on lingerie too (it's the fashion show season) and at the end they said that European nationality that buys the most lingerie was the British. [:D]

I don't know how they came to this conclusion but it certainly wasn't by analysing my buying habits.

Here is the full report.

http://news.money.msn.fr/article.aspx?as=article&f=em_-_actu_eco_-_combien_ca_coute&t=4394&id=2219418&d=20060130&do=http://news.money.msn.fr&i=http://news.money.msn.fr/mediaexportlive&ks=0&mc=15&ml=mh&lc=fr&ae=windows-1252

Apparently the average  of  100 euros a year is spent "renouvellent en moyenne leur lingerie à raison de 2 soutiens-gorge et près de 6 slips"

Just read this thread.  It doesn't surprise me at all.  I too

wait for the sales before I buy any lingerie and even then I must come

close to the 122 Euros each year.  This is one area I was a bit

shocked by when moving here.  Granted, I don't buy my undies in

Galleries Lafayette where it is not uncommon for underwear to be

between 10 and 20 euros per pair.  Even, at the lesser stores or

at ETAM when they have the sales, I ended up paying much more than I

ever did in the States at Victoria Secret (wish they had those here).

On the same subject, buying undies for my husband was an even bigger

shock.  Even in Auchan, where I see one pair for 10 euros and many

for more.  Oh, they do have some that go for 5, but they aren't

made of very good fabric and therefore don't last as long - hence the

annual buying.

La Redoute normally has a good sale on Lingerie every year.

[quote user="Blanche Neige"]

"On last nights French news they didn't say how much was spent, when showing the lingerie, but said that men spent five times less than women."

[/quote]

So I spend €610 less than my wife who spends only €122 ? Who said that the French understand maths (that's math for our colonial cousins) ?

Long may pedants rule.

John

not

[quote user="SaligoBay"]

Cathy, did you notice the bit at the end about men now buying women's underwear (ooh err missus!)?   In the old days [;)] it used to be a problem, they would come into the shop with no idea of size or anything, but apparently nowadays they're very clued up about exact size, taste (ooh err missus) and whatever else is needed for such intimate purchases.

Not that I'd ever drop Mr SB into it, but really, I thought it was moving into fantasy land........  [:)]

[/quote]

I like buying womens underwear. I usually find a nice attractive sop assistant and tell her she's the same size as my wife and would she mind modeling it for me so I can see what it looks like. So far five face slaps and almost arrested once but good fun on a Saturday afternoon.

Seriously, well almost, it is said men buy lingerie for themselves really as they are the ones that get the benifit of seeing their wife wearing it.