Childhood memories.

Gastines

Well gosh darn it and gadzooks, if you can't beat them, join them......

......parents counting out rent money on a table (!)

......watching Thunderbirds and thinking Lady P's butler was called Parker Pen.

......sitting on a curling stone (without its handle!) outside Gran's house, watching the cows go past, from byre to pasture at the other end of the village.  And back every evening, of course.  And Gilby with his wheelbarrow after them, collecting up the fertiliser they left behind.   When we were a bit older, we went up to the cowsheds every day with the 2-pint milk can to buy milk.   Gran would put it in a real milk jug (!) in the fridge, which was up on the wall behind the TV (when she got one).  When the TV went weird, she would go and thump the fridge, and all would be well again.

And you know what she had in front of the TV - my little Whimsies, who else collected them?  By Wade, they were, bought them in little boxes. 

But Tag is right.  My Auntie Margaret had polio.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone remember Green Shield Stamps ?

I can remember them, but where did they come from?

You used to get vouchers of some sort in cigarettes too. I know my sister had thousands of Embassy ones. We used to sit with the catalogue - if you smoked enough you could get a car!

Here's another thing, We used to 'pay' our milkman with coloured plastic tokens. Does anyone know what that was about?. 

Did the milk jug have a lacy cover with beads sewn around the edge so that it tinkled when you moved it?

I remember sitting in a windowseat in the spare bedroom of my uncle's chicken & dairy farm and watching the cows beneath going to be milked, and being impressed by the smell. A year later one of them crushed my little cousin to death...

[quote user="Dicksmith"]Did the milk jug have a lacy cover with beads sewn around the edge so that it tinkled when you moved it? [/quote]

Don't think so.  Lots and lots of cream on top of the milk though.

[quote user="Dicksmith"]A year later one of them crushed my little cousin to death...[/quote]

I have a very healthy respect for any animal bigger than myself.  Another of my aunties got trampled by cows once when she were a milkmaid.  It was nasty, and she couldn't have babies after that.

The joys of country life!

I remember Gran cooking freshly-caught skate for my grandfather, and she cooked it like I've never seen it cooked since.  It was kind of all broken up into bits, and he used to eat it with his fingers.  It was lovely, I've never tasted skate like it since. 

[quote user="Dicksmith"]Christine - how do you get the pictures in your posts? I've asked before and you haven't answered! I liked Johnny Morris, too. Who's the geezer with him with the white hair?[/quote]

Dick, to put a picture into a post, first find the picture you want on the internet (not one that resides on your own computer), right click (or for mac users, control-click) on the picture and select properties, then copy the address/URL and paste that into your post.

Amongst other things, I remember that my Mum had a sky blue Hillman Imp with knitted square multi-coloured seat covers! I went to a school reunion a few years back (we were all 40), and one of my old friends said that was one of the things she remembered from when she was young - my Mum's seat covers! - we would have been about 7, I suppose.

Chris

What about books?

The first book I can remember loving is called Puppies and Kittens; it's a Ladybird book, and i've still got it!

On every page is a picture of either puppies or kittens getting up to mischief. I can hear my mums voice reading it to us (over and over again). We also had some fantastic books by a guy called Richard Scarry. We had at least three, one of which was called Storybook Dictionary, and another something like, Trains, Planes and Things that Go. These books were chock full of little animals, full of action and humour. We used to sit for hours and hours with them.

I recently relinquished the battered Storybook Dictionary to a little niece, but no one is getting Puppies and Kittens off me.

My mum had some very old encyclopedias, she would put them on the floor for us and we would lie on the floor on our stomachs in semi-circles round them, as they were too heavy for us to lift. I've still got one: Newnes' Pictorial Knowledge.

In photobucket there are threee options for 'tags' it might not be the one that looks most logical (can't remember which one it is - sorry)

[IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y194/russethouse/SchramsGarden3.jpg[/IMG]

Thats the image tag.

I wish this was my garden, but sadly it's not !

I had a terrible job at the beginning trying to post a photo.  I have never understood Gay's Tag method.  We used to have a little mountain "insert a picture" thing before, so I used to copy the url from Photobucker into it and click "instert a picture".  But we don't have that any more and I don't know how to do it the proper pay, so I cheat by copying it.

I went by your link to your photo and as Cat said right clicked on it to get the options, then left clicked "copy", then came back here and pasted (ctrl V).  I don't know how it works with a Mac, how you copy something.  Perhaps ctrl C, then ctrl V here.

Come on Dick, I'm dying to see another one !

[quote user="Christine Animal"]

I had a terrible job at the beginning trying to post a photo.  I have never understood Gay's Tag method.  We used to have a little mountain "insert a picture" thing before, so I used to copy the url from Photobucker into it and click "instert a picture".  But we don't have that any more and I don't know how to do it the proper pay, so I cheat by copying it.

I went by your link to your photo and as Cat said right clicked on it to get the options, then left clicked "copy", then came back here and pasted (ctrl V).  I don't know how it works with a Mac, how you copy something.  Perhaps ctrl C, then ctrl V here.

Come on Dick, I'm dying to see another one ![/quote]

Christine, When pictures are in photobucket there are 3 options of ways to use the pics, one is for ebay and there are two others, this one has img  the name of the picture then /img  (i have taken off the square brackets other wise it looks for an image to post) you just copy and paste it into the text, where you want it and hey presto !

[quote user="Dicksmith"]Nope, don't work. Can Admin explain why this doesn't work for me?[/quote]

Dick,  I have been following the postings on putting pictures here for a couple of years and I have only today managed to do it following  Mrs Animals method.  Having placed the picture into my album in Photobucket I clicked on the URL I think, clicked copy and then pasted onto my posting.  It only placed the link which you then have to click on it to see the picture.  I couldn't actually work out how to place the actual picture directly onto the page but I think I did well to get that far.

weedon

I've just gone over to using Firefox to see if I get more functionality, so far I have got formatting icons, so I'll try them out.

Gosh that looks horrible...

It seems I can create links, but nothing says I can insert pictures.

[IMG]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f338/dick_at_aulton/Domfront056.jpg[/IMG]

But hey! It works - that was using the [IMG] thing - so thanks for that advice. [:D]

But I still hate smileys...

Going back to my wife's original posting, I thought I'd add my  EARLIEST memories. Nothing untill I was about 7 yrs. old. Having been involved in a fire, mostly me, and getting over it with the help of The Mackindo surgeons,hence my striking good looks!!  I developed a selective memory, forgetting anything that suited. My first memories were of my mother drying my grey shirt in front of the gas cooker on a monday morning for me to wear to school, the new piece of cardboard in the bottom of the shoes also springs to mind. I won't tell you about the PINK wellies or Christmas at the St.Catherine's Hospital at Ventnor or I'll have you all crying over your croissants. I don't think any of it did any harm and ,unlike nowadays, a few clouts taught me how to behave.

Regards. By.St Malo.