UK Open University Course Prices

Has anybody seen the price increases for Open University courses if you are resident in France (or rather non resident in UK but resident in “Continental Europe”).

I was keen to study with the Open University yet, despite being a British citizen, having contributed significantly for many years to UK government coffers, etc. find that prices for the Open University courses are between double and 3 times the price if resident in “Continental Europe and not in the UK). It seems that this is not related to Open University increased costs, etc. but that the UK government will only subsidise “British Residents”.

I’m not so much disappointed on the basis that “I’ve put loads in and want some back” as that seems somewhat unjustified. I would certainly not begrudge those in the UK who have never contributed to anything in the UK from receiving such a subsidy. However, I do feel disappointed that just moving to live in a different country means that one’s country of citizenship just totally stops any interest in you whatsoever (other than trying to continue to take your money of course). Or maybe its more because at the sort of costs involved for non-British Residents there is no way I can consider taking courses (and my French is not up to doing anything equivalent that may be available in France).

Ian

I can't see why not really.

It does appear from their prospectus as though the higher costs are due to the extra work the OU incurs, thats how I interpreted it anyway. It is certainly the way I would do it.

My understanding is that the course fees being higher for British Citizens resident in continental Europe is due to the subsidy structure by the UK gov. Excerpt from the OU web site: “Most students outside the UK will have to pay a higher fee because the UK fee includes a government subsidy restricted to UK residents and students with British Forces Post Office addresses”.

Must confess I looked back at this thread with a few worries. Sort of half expected some “You live in France now, why should UK gov. subsidise you” and the other aggressing responses sometimes posted. A relief (thanks)

Ian

Unfortunately, because it’s a government subsidy, you can only get the UK fees if you are temporarily or unavoidably out of the UK for a max of 3 years (that’s 3 years since departing the UK and not 3 years since starting any OU course). Similarly, and financial assistance is only available to UK residents. I guess that if one is resident in France, pay French tax, etc. there is little one can do about it.

Ian

[quote user="Deimos"] Excerpt from the OU web site: “Most students outside the UK will have to pay a higher fee because the UK fee includes a government subsidy restricted to UK residents and students with British Forces Post Office addresses”. [/quote]

Oops, sorry ,  [:$]  didn't see that in the bit I had been looking at. I don't think higher fees for people outside the UK applies to all distance learning providers though so it may pay to look around.

Edit - http://www-icdl.open.ac.uk/   This is the International Centre for Distance Learning, which had quite an extensive data base of courses and course providers.

[quote user="viva"]

Oops, sorry , [:$] didn't see that in the bit I had been looking at. I don't think higher fees for people outside the UK applies to all distance learning providers though so it may pay to look around.

[/quote]

They do actually mention elsewhere about their own costs, but their critera is based on residence rather than postal address.

If you (or anybody) is aware of other “distance learning” organisations I would be very interested. Not interested in qualifications, nor certificates nor the like, just want to study some topics that interest me and can be difficult to understand fully/properly from books alone (hence the importance of having a tutor available).

Many thanks

Ian

Although this might not suit you Deimos, for those people who are interested in studying for a degree by distance learning it is worth looking at the website www.londonexternal.ac.uk for external degrees from the University of London. They are different from OU degrees; in some ways more flexible, in other ways less. You do have to have the normal degree entry requirements or to follow their Access course route.The fees they charge do not vary upon where you are studying but you do not receive any tuition from the University, only the self-study materials. Fees vary depending on the subject you study and the time you take to to do your degree. As an example: if you study for a degree in French over 3 years it will cost a total of £2,500. Not for everyone but perhaps of some use to somebody.

[quote user="KathyC"]Although this might not suit you Deimos, for those people who are interested in studying for a degree by distance learning it is worth looking at the website www.londonexternal.ac.uk for external degrees from the University of London. They are different from OU degrees; in some ways more flexible, in other ways less. You do have to have the normal degree entry requirements or to follow their Access course route.The fees they charge do not vary upon where you are studying but you do not receive any tuition from the University, only the self-study materials. Fees vary depending on the subject you study and the time you take to to do your degree. As an example: if you study for a degree in French over 3 years it will cost a total of £2,500. Not for everyone but perhaps of some use to somebody.[/quote]

And 8,277 quid for a History degree  , gulp! I wonder why such a vast difference? I didn't look any further than that.

You're right, that's right up there with the OU. I just looked at a degree in French because I thought it would interest more people. I've no idea why the price is so different. I can only say that there are far more degrees costing around £2,500 than there are those costing over £8000. I'll phone them on Monday, I hate to be mystified.

Many thanks for the link and suggestions which I have followed with interest and have now enrolled on a course through one of the UK Universities (actually a Polytechnic but I believe they don’t like being called that any more).

Seems the OU is quite expensive without the UK governments subsidy (but I’m sure they are not a “profitable company”). I also found that many other places offering distance learning have a UK/EU price and a “rest of world” price.

Ian