French Census

Coco

In January we had a letter from the Maire saying that the national census would be happening in January and February and that an appointed official would call to deliver and collect our forms and that they would have to show their identification when doing so.

About two weeks later we got a visit from a lady in the village who we know anyway but she still showed us her formal identification and offered to leave the forms with us or wait whilst we completed them.  We did them there and then and gave them back to her.  That was around the first week of February.  Our builders were working here at the time and said that in the 17 years that they have lived in France they have completed two of these things.  They thought they came round about every 8 years but at that point they hadn't received theirs.

It's now mid-March and I don't know of a single other Brit in the area who has been asked to complete such a form, even though we were told that it was an offence not to do so.

Has anyone else completed a census recently or are our village so desparate to know our ins and outs that they've created an elaborate scam to find out all about us? [:^)]

We haven't had one in our village this year ( if I remember rightly it was last year or the one before) but in January we were visiting a friend about 20km away and he was in the middle of completing it.   He is French, BTW, so I don't think it's anything to do with checking up on Brits!

After I started this thread I did a quick search for census and discovered that quite a few people made mention of it last February.  Does France not do their census all at the same time then?  I'd  have thought that at least within the same post code it would be the same time, but it seems that we're the only ones round here that have done it.

[quote user="Cathy"]What happens if you are not living in your house

when the census is due (and not there to get the forms)?[/quote]

Good question, to which I unfortunately can't give a complete answer,

though I have a feeling that the census is only applied to permanent

residenses, not second homes. We were "done" this year - one of our

neighbours was handling the forms, and I rather formed the impression

that only a "representative sample" of the population is questioned,

not the whole lot.

There was a national census  in 2004.  A local lady came round and did the form herself in our house.  They do not visit everybody and it is nowhere as detailed as the UK one.  They do the calls selectively, they try to pick up the new people in the area, the existing and the dead are known about[:)].  The results I saw were very interssting showing that over 50% of the population live alone, a significant movement of people towards the SW, not from the UK, and a drop in the birth rate, the census also showed that the life expectancy in our Department is the highest in France[<:o)].