Yipee! First signs of Spring

What a georgeous day! Clear blue skies, 17 in the shade (over 25 in the sun) [H] and I've just seen the first lizard of the year scooting across the drive.  I've now seen loads of flights of Grues go over. The leaf buds on the trees are getting fat.  Spring is here [:D] though not officially until next Monday.

What signs of Spring have you seen?

All signs of spring have been covered up by the 2 inches of snow that fell on Harrogate and environs last night. The crocuses on the stray and sticking their brightly coloured heads above the snow which is thankfully now starting to thaw. I have frog spawn in the garden pond and other bits and pieces sticking their heads out tentatively. However, at 2 degrees C it is hardly spring like. Things may change but at the moment sub-tropical Harrogate is pretty cold today.

Aidy

Still some frost this morning (Dept. 84 Vaucluse) - not too much, but

some.  We have had a few double digit afternoons, but only a

few.  The wind of a couple of days ago had me thinking we moved to

Alaska.  Forecast calls for more double digit afternoons.  I

hope they're right.  If Spring doesn't arrive soon, I'll have to

join the poor house for all the fuel we have had to buy this year ....

I have to admit, I did notice a lizard on the terrace yesterday, so there is hope.

Flying in the face of all common sense I always regard March 1st as the

first day of spring, horiznotal sleet notwithstanding. Mostly this has

to do with it not being February any longer.

About 15 degrees here in the south Vendée; no wind (makes a bloody

change) and lots & lots of stuff poking out of the ground. I've

just uncovered some peonies in one bed and I am going back out to look

for more. Better than Christmas.

I have to admit, I did just pick up the mower from its every two year

servicing.  However, having said that, Spring couldn't be TOO

close as the mower only stayed in the shop for 3 days.  If Spring

was really near, I would have had to wait 3 weeks to get it back..

Here in the Uk, the cold snap just goes on and on.[:(]

Snow here last night and this morning, although it's cleared again now. No sun to speak of for days.

The snowdrops are up, birds are building nests, (two in my garden, a blacky and a wren), but the daffs are on "stop"[:(]

Alcazar

Hi Alcazar, we are in Haute Vienne and today we have the most beautiful weather , one of those feel good to be alive days. The violets are in full bloom and perfume, the crocus are in bloom, the blossom buds are swelling, and the lizards are playing in the sun, what more could you ask for.

We moved here from near Scunthorpe 17 months ago and love every minute of it, I thought you were coming over here to live, did I get that wrong?  Regards Sugarlady

It was minus 4 when I moved the car for the builders this morning but by 2.20 it had reached 24 in the sun.

White tailed bumbling bee and butterfly out this afternoon and clouds of those small black flies.

And the sky is just the most wonderful shade of blue and absolutely clear.

Why did we move here? ......................

Wonderful day here in 79. Sun shining birds singing & at last our fosse is being fitted. Just as well the rain has stopped the garden looks like a bomb has hit it. Still gotta be worth it not to have drains to flush out every morning. Hey Ho Spring is just around the corner. All is great with the Lanarios

Same here, lovely day and the Lapwings knew it from first thing in the morning as thousands of them took to the air from the fields where they have been over wintering and headed north east with purpose! Insects in the air and the first carpenter bee I've seen this year.

Chris

[quote user="hastobe"]Where are you Suze?  The house we are buying is about 25km NE of

Perigueux and we wish we were there - instead of enduring the miserably

cold British weather - freezing and black ice this morning [:(]

[/quote]

Lisle

The primroses and violets have been out here in north west 29 for weeks now.Camerlias mostly finished though. Yesterday was glorious with 17°C at noon and blue skies. We havn't had any heating on since Sat night and its a bit grey now but the forecast is dry for the rest of the week. We have had BBQ's in march before now onthe local beach.

Spring is very late for us this year.  Last weekend we saw the first signs.  A definite Yippeee !!  The blackbird, that's been feeding from the dangly coconut thingy's in our pear tree all winter,  has found a mate and has brought her to visit.  Daffodils are starting to bloom in the hedgerows (about four weeks late) and after the recent heavy rain the spring bulbs are pushing their first leaves through the earth.  I've almost forgotten those winter months ! 

[quote user="Eslier"]Not only has the weather turned but today is the last "red day" for Tempo electricity users. Half price electricity after today until the autumn !

Time to open up the pool.

[/quote]

And all the white days are used up now too. So that's exactly what we're doing today! We've removed the abri and are jet washing it and the patio around the pool and at 6am tomorrow the pumps will go on!! [:D]  [:D]  [:D]  [:D]  [:D] 

I haven't had the winter blues this year even on greyer days and for that I will be eternally grateful to the French climate. I found myself having to squint when I went outside today because of the spring sun. I feel so content !

Well, I hate to say it and put a damper on the idea that the signs of spring are only happening in France but it was absolutely beautiful here in the London area today. Sun shining and all of the signs of spring here as well so must mean it really is on its way .Big Smile [:D]

My neighbour has just phoned me to say it has been 20 degrees in our village in the limousin today, wow we are still under the threat of snow at the weekend in Essex, lovely day today but as soon as the sun went it was freezing, spring is really behind here and still have not hung washing out yet.