Disgusted

And I have been putting coins in these lousy things................. absolutely disgusting

C'est un scandale, faut le faire suivre a tout le monde
>
> >
>
> Bernadette Chirac est venue à Montélimar faire son cinéma pour récolter ses
> pièces jaunes. 200 kg
> de pièces ont été recueillies ( correspondant à environ 10 000? ).
>
> J'ai interrogé M. le Maire ( UMP ) de la ville pour savoir combien cette
> opération nous avait
> coûté.
> Sans compter le prix de l'affrètement du TGV spécial, du détournementde
> plusieurs trains sur
> l'Ardèche, le coût du personnel des services techniques et de la police
> municipale etc..., la ville
> a déboursé 80000? ( pris sur nos impôts locaux, bien sûr ).
>
> Mais, plus choquant encore, les chambres et repas, dans un des meilleurs
> hôtels-restaurants de le
> région, pour « la première dame de France » et son aréopage de 130 personnes
> ont été réglés avec un
> chèque del'association «Opération Pièces Jaunes ».
>
> Quand on pense à tous les petits enfants qui ont cassé leur tirelire pour
> faire de la publicité à
> Mme Chirac, au Maire de Montélimar et payer ces agapes !
> Certains n'ont pas beaucoup de vergogne.
>
>
> Ce mercredi 8 mars 2 006
>
>
> Marcel MAGNON , Conseiller Municipal de Montélimar

TU, a neighbour said to me that she never gave anything to charity ever since she did some similar collecting in Paris when she was about 14.

They'd gone out with their collecting tins, then gathered somewhere later to give them back.  She said she was just so horrified to see the amount of money spent on the ceremony - cakes, drinks, she said it had to come to more than they'd collected.

She was so disgusted that she's never given a sou to a charity since.

Yes I feel the same, seeing hard earned and given money go to pen pushers and hangers-on when the real charity gets very little. I prefer to give bags of food to Les Restos aux Coeur and Bank d'Alimentation etc, at least that has a better chance of reaching the needy folks.

It's a charity that collects small change (pieces jaunes) and supposedly gives the money to fund projects aimed at improving the lives of children in hospital.   They charter a special train and go all over France.   The 'frontmen' are Bernadette Chirac and ex judo champion David Douillet.

I need to be careful what I say here, but anything with that family's name on it raises very considerable suspicion in my mind and there's no way I would part with any cash to any of them.

[quote user="Opalienne"]

I need to be careful what I say here, but

anything with that family's name on it raises very considerable

suspicion in my mind and there's no way I would part with any cash to

any of them.

[/quote]

LOL that very same thought crossed my mind!

Hastobe

I have been approached in French cities, always by young men, to sign my name and address on a clip board in protest against something, which I did once, he then demanded I make a donation because I had signed and tried to frogmarch me off to the cashpoint , when I told him I had no money. 

Is this a usual method of fundraising or was it as I suspect, a con? I wasn't singled out because I was foriegn, they did tackle French people as well. 

Grâce à la mobilisation et la générosité de tous les enfants et de leur famille, Madame Bernadette Chirac, Présidente de la Fondation Hôpitaux de Paris-Hôpitaux de France et David Douillet, parrain de Pièces jaunes, entourés de nombreux artistes (M-Pokora, Corneille, Marc Lavoine, Jenifer, Chimène Badi…), ont pu annoncer une collecte de 4 tonnes de pièces à Nice, dernière étape du TGV Piéces Jaunes 2006. En 2005, le week-end TGV avait permis de réunir 2,5 tonnes.

Malgré le froid, la pluie, la neige les enfants des régions du parcours TGV Pièces jaunes 2006 sont venus nombreux déposer leurs pièces dans les gares. Ces dons réunis à Rouen, Caen, Montélimar et Nice, permettront à l’opération Pièces jaunes, organisée par la Fondation Hôpitaux de Paris-Hôpitaux de France, de soutenir de nombreux projets destinés à améliorer la qualité de vie des enfants et adolescents hospitalisés.

Do you always believe what you read TU without question or thinking I wonder why he is saying that?  The article you posted was political points scoring by the opposition and guesswork.   The sort of thing the Daly Express would publish in the UK. high on impact,  low on facts.  All those additional costs are guestimates.  The train was provided free by SNCF for a start and the police would have been paid, whether or not the President's wife was there, she is entitled to a bit of security after all.  Her "entourage" as it was described included many artists and personalities who are supporting this worthwhile charity.  Further more, how do they know whether the hotels did not wave their charges, did anyone ask? Even if they had to pay, did they expect Mme Chirac to stay in a B&B??  There is a cost to everything, does anyone ask the BBC how much Children in Need costs?  The personalities may give their time for free but they still have to be transported about, put up in hotels, watered and fed and then there is the lighting and production staff's wages and the cameramen and roadies for the outside broadcasts............. and so on and so on.  The other factor worth considering is how much would have been collected without the support of these personalities.

[quote user="beryl"]

I have been approached in French cities, always by young men, to sign my name and address on a clip board in protest against something, which I did once, he then demanded I make a donation because I had signed and tried to frogmarch me off to the cashpoint , when I told him I had no money. 

Is this a usual method of fundraising or was it as I suspect, a con? I wasn't singled out because I was foriegn, they did tackle French people as well. 

[/quote]

They often used to be outside Carrefour at Chartres.  It was something about human rights in their country.  The first time I signed, then I realised too that they wanted money.  After that when they approached me I used to say "J'ai déjà signé, merci".

David Douillet is the Chiracs' son-in-law (just in case anyone didn't know).

OK well, just shows how much confidence I have in all political things in France, NONE would be about right and I am ready to believe anything bad I read about them.

And as I have seen a lot of corruption around here and several politicans from our region have gone to jail the most noted being Carignon, then I don't think that I am wrong in having no confidence.

If I see something like this again I will check a bit more before posting, however, smoke and fire always comes to mind in this country and even if I am told that something is a hoax, then I will wonder why it was done in the first place.

[quote user="Ron Avery"]

There is a cost to everything, does anyone ask the BBC how much Children in Need costs?  The personalities may give their time for free but they still have to be transported about, put up in hotels, watered and fed and then there is the lighting and production staff's wages and the cameramen and roadies for the outside broadcasts............. and so on and so on.  The other factor worth considering is how much would have been collected without the support of these personalities.

[/quote]

For what it is worth. Yes, people do ask the BBC how Children in Need i spaid for. I have!!!! I was told that:-

The administration of the charity is all paid for out of the interest the donations earn while the money is waiting to be distributed (No they do not hang onto the money for any longer than they need to).

Although some people are paid to work on the programmes, I think that it budgeted in the same way as another other programme, i.e. the costs are taken from budgets that would have been used to produce the ordinary programmes. I wont say that it doesn't cost more than the equivalent Friday programming, but some programmes do cost more than others.

I know that many BBC people give their time free - I was only a freelance when I last worked on it (in Local Radio) and I know that I wasn't offered payment for my involvement.

Could this be a cultural difference?

TU's viewpoint looks very, very, very, very French to me.   There have been major charity scandals in France, and speaking very generally, charities are viewed with suspicion and cynicism.

In Britain, we have charity shops everywhere.  Whether you approve of them or not, they're part of our cultural landscape.  There are those who don't believe in organised charity, but the "anti" movement isn't anywhere near as widespread and negative as in France.

Emmaus excepted, of course!

I remember when my wife worked for Thames TV doing artist payments she was prettty annoyed at the amount some of the celebs were getting for doing the Telethon at the time, Although they weren't paid a fee as such the expenses payment were huge and some demanded very expensive designer clothing be provided which they would be allowed to keep after the programme. So yes the hidden costs of some of these things are fairly outrageous [:(]

I'm happy to be corrected, but I think that the "little(?) thank you" would have been paid for out of the "Well we've got to put some sort of programme on, so why not this one" budget and not from the money raised. However, this not not mean that I am not equally annoyed by the fact that people with more money than I know how to dream about, demand these things for doing a charity gig.

[quote user="JohnM"]

I'm happy to be corrected, but I think that the "little(?) thank you" would have been paid for out of the "Well we've got to put some sort of programme on, so why not this one" budget and not from the money raised. However, this not not mean that I am not equally annoyed by the fact that people with more money than I know how to dream about, demand these things for doing a charity gig.

[/quote]

It wasn't so much that they were given a little "thank you" it was the demands for particular items that was galling, they may as well have demanded their usual fee and this was just a way of disguising it. TBH this wasn't all the celebs, many did it without claiming a penny in ex's or costume allowance's, it was a few notable big names that were errrm greedy?, one particular female STAR demanded a designer outfit that would have bought our UK house at the time[:O]