Tiresome Threads

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Dotty0"]

Please let me know how you feed 30 people on 5 euros.

[/quote]

Yes, Dotty, isn't that the wonderful thing about France?  It's so beautifully cheap!  I'm really sorry Miki didn't think to invite me along, but those 5 courses of quality bouffe (I do love caviar and foie gras as an entrée) and a bottle of red each, well, I think I wouldn't be able to do it justice, having already eaten.

Your comment suggests you're in an expensive area like mine, where all that probably costs as much as 7 euros?

[quote user="SaligoBay"][quote user="Dotty0"]

[/quote]

Yes, Dotty, isn't that the wonderful thing about France?  It's

so beautifully cheap!  I'm really sorry Miki didn't think to

invite me along, but those 5 courses of quality bouffe (I do love

caviar and foie gras as an entrée) and a bottle of red each, well, I

think I wouldn't be able to do it justice, having already eaten.

Your comment suggests you're in an expensive area like mine, where all that probably costs as much as 7 euros?

[/quote]

It's called working on the black, it's all knocked off.  So the 5€

is all bunce I don't know how SB has said she was not invited, the

Cessna was sent over 2 hours ago and she was still fluffing about wiv

'er make up and James (our pilot, we are dreadfully snobby don't you

know) couldn't wait no longer and just flew off to pick up others in

the area (see what happens when you get too fluffy !) Kicked off with a

hundred huitres from Cancale ('orrible but someone has to eat them)

then a bit of miki magret de canard ....I'll say Rodney

(knocked off but still tasty). Now here comes the tricky bit, finding a

dessert that is not one of the following yukky choices [;)]

tarte aux pommes

crème caramel

glaces ou sorbet

ile flottant

riz wiv anything

mousse au chocolat

créme brulée

So what is left that the French call a decent dessert and from a menu say less than 25€  [:O]

Just about to open 2nd of the 20 litre barrels of excellent vin

rouge du mountain lake. Dontcha just love watching the folks sucking in

their

cheeks when the vinaigre, whoops sorry, vin rouge slips down the old

throat.

Cheap here innit, wish we had come over sooner...................

[quote user="Miki"][So what is left that the French call a decent dessert and from a menu say less than 25€  [:O]

[/quote]

I have been served one of those 17-centime things, are they Liègeois or summat like that?  You know, in a plastic pot, 3 inches of chocolate-coloured industrial waste topped with an inch of cream-coloured industrial waste.  [+o(]

I'd rather have an Ile Flottante.

[quote user="Dotty0"]

Miki Wrote

'To end I love you all, the site is gorgeous and I am off soon to meet thirty members for a lovely €5 lunch'.

Dotty 

[/quote]

How could you feed 30 people for €5......weeeeell:

- By a 2kg bag of seed potatoes, 500g of salted butter, 1 litre UHT

milk and a lump of lèvre boulangère from nice Mr Leclerc. I reckon you

might even have 50 contimes left for some sweeties

- Plant the potatoes

- Wait 90 days and dig up half the potatoes

- Cook in boiling water until they fall into a mush, leave to cool,

take a mouthfull, chew thoroughly, spit it back into the mush, and add

the yeast

- Ferment for 10 days and strain the liquid through a pillow case. You

should now have several gallons of "Château Strangeways" - it won't

taste nice, but it will get you there.

- Dig up the other half of the spuds, boil until soft (keep the skins

on - much more nutritious), mash with the butter and milk and serve

with a pint or more of the rotgut.

[quote user="SaligoBay"]

[quote user="Miki"][So what is left that the French call a decent dessert and from a menu say less than 25€  [:O]

[/quote]

I have been served one of those 17-centime things, are they Liègeois

or summat like that?  You know, in a plastic pot, 3 inches of

chocolate-coloured industrial waste topped with an inch of

cream-coloured industrial waste.  [+o(]

I'd rather have an Ile Flottante.

[/quote]

We've been offered those joyous things and given them a swerve, due to

the reasons you have described so well. Not too long ago on a trip out

to the West, we were offered a cheap version of the old cornetto for

dessert but to be fair, we were given a choice between vanille or

chocolat !

Mmmm guess you have a point, an Ile flottante does have a certain je ne sais quoi and I do mean je ne sais [:D]

Anyone else know what other wonderful desserts can be had in this gastronomique paradise ?

C.A,

Is that £'s or p's?

Where is The Maramor ? I could quite readily eat that lot (and sit in a high chair if neccessary [;)] ) and then hope

that the Adult dessert is more varied and nicer than its French

equivalent [:D]

Having lit the blue touchpaper 24 hrs ago, thought that it would be appropriate to say:

1. The thread certainly wasn't aimed at you, Tresco. Have never (in my brief existance here) found your posts 'tiresome'.
  2. Miki's comment about this being the most tiresome thread of 2006 was well-aimed and appropriate!
  3. Loved 'Christine Animal's' menu - we have friends for the weekend & am thinking of serving it.
  4. The original post went typically, but pleasantly off-thread.  Point made?   

As a periodic poster - just returned after a long absence - it does seem that the "general" postbag has been a bit weird of late - but then that's happened before and will no doubt settle down again.

I find it more concerning that on this and other forums there always seem to be some people who are too ready to criticise those who disagree with them for being 'lurkers' or 'trolls' or 'sock-puppets' or 'newcomers', as if this somehow means that it absolves the more established members from joining in proper rational debate with them.

I visit another Archant forum where this problem got so out of hand that it's ended up with nobody left but a group of grumpy idiots who agree with each other on everything and who immediately round on anyone else who dares to enter their private domain.

At least the 'subject' forums are still full of the useful practical advice that's made this site so successful. 

Well said chrisb. France, arguably the powerhouse of Western European thought is in agony and bleeding to death from multiple self-inflicted wounds and all that people can do is indulge in this thread which is full of self indulgent flatulent twaddle.  Sounds just like TF which is not a compliment! For heavens sake, get real people.

Chrisb, that's interesting, mainly because I agree!

I think the sock puppet/troll accusations are sometimes made rashly. I also think some of the people who make them are hardened (I mean that in a good way) troll battlers who don't hold back when they think one might have appeared. I applaud them, but they battle so hard that sometimes they see them everywhere. By the way, I have been accused of this myself, so I think I know what I am talking about!

This leaves me in the happy position of (sort of nearly) understanding everyone, and hoping things will work out in the end.

Ian Horne said

1. The thread certainly wasn't aimed at you, Tresco. Have never (in my brief existance here) found your posts 'tiresome'.

I am glad to hear it, but my earlier comments were directed at anyone who has a problem with the way I conduct myself,  or indeed, any other person.  That said, I like the odd giddy phase (many don't, I do know that).

I have seen at least 2 threads (that I remember vividly) in just over 2 years start like this one did.

This one has hopefully ended in merriment. Sometimes they don't. The forum goes through phases.

I agree, there is a giddy phase at the moment, but people are still getting their questions answered etc, and when it all goes moody agzin, you will maybe remember this time of levity with longing.   

Just as  I will.   

(not in the same way as Tag though!)

[quote user="Tag"]Well said chrisb. France, arguably the powerhouse of Western European thought is in agony and bleeding to death from multiple self-inflicted wounds and all at

people can do is indulge in this thread which is full of self indulgent

flatulent twaddle.  Sounds just like TF which is not a compliment!

For heavens sake, get real people.
[/quote]

Just as this tiresome thread was getting a little untiresome, someone

has to spoil it and make it tiresome again. Oh well you can't please

'em all. Mind you, the grumblers could at least give us something

interersting to debate, rather than moan about what is on offer but of

course, that is not their manner.

And as far as France being arguably anything like the powerhouse of Western European thought, that is flatulence and you should have it checked out [:P]

More like the powerhouse Governement of fiddles and diddles, makes UK

labour look  paper boys knicking sweets off the shop boss !! I

know you prpobably meant overall but I would still disagree with that.

To end, the need to be serious and the need to be in debate mode all

the time,

will kill this forum quicker than threads like this. There is a need

for  a good mix to keep it alive, there is only so much one can

debate and every so often, the rest of the time is going to be spent

trying

to get by with a few cracks. Never been down the pub with mates and

seen how the evenings conversation changes almost minute by minute. I

have yet

to hear someone say "enough get real, let's only do serious debate in

our spare time and no cracks nor talk nonsense"

Sorry but the get real, as far as I am concerned must go to you Tag but then I reckon you know that eh [;)]

[quote user="Tag"]Well said chrisb. France, arguably the powerhouse of Western European thought is in agony and bleeding to death from multiple self-inflicted wounds and all that people can do is indulge in this thread which is full of self indulgent flatulent twaddle.  Sounds just like TF which is not a compliment! For heavens sake, get real people.[/quote]

Tag - you can always start your own thread. I'm sure there are plenty of people here who would join in a more 'weighty' discussion.

[quote user="chrisb"]

I visit another Archant forum where this problem got so out of hand that it's ended up with nobody left but a group of grumpy idiots who agree with each other on everything and who immediately round on anyone else who dares to enter their private domain.

[/quote]

The consequences of non tolerant behaviour.  Perhaps the time has come for you to think about leaving such a boring old humdrum Chris?

All those who enjoy being rude and nasty to others may find the following article of interest. £10000 awarded !! http://technology.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,1737001,00.html?gusrc=rss

(Sorry I cannot hot-link it either so you will have to cut and paste if you want to see the article).

Ian

Quote  Katie Kopy Kat  "The consequences of non tolerant behaviour.  Perhaps the time has come for you to think about leaving such a boring old humdrum Chris?"

Your metamorphosis is complete [W]

From 'Rebel' to part of the LF  forum furniture, and now confidently advising other people to think about leaving the forum.   [:^)].. and it seems like only yesterday ........[:)]