I wonder what the French would make of this?

Viv

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="WJT"]I know some might find it offensive but I think it may be meant as just a silly joke. It is probably related to the Crazy Frog craze a few months back. Perhaps a turn on words and someone's idea of being clever, instead of Crazy Frog they are using Lazy Frog, the frog cartoon in the link even looks similar.[/quote]

It's not just  a silly joke - it's typical of the pathetic zenophobia that permeates the British tabloid world and reflects the UKip mentality.   I am always shocked at the way UK newspapers seem to think it okay to talk about French and German people.  It just shows a lack of maturity, ignorance and respect for their European neighbours.  The German ambassador has had to publicly complain in the past about the way Germans and Germany are represented in Britain.  British tabloids are still fighting the second world war and don't seem to realise the rest of Europe has moved on.  The press release even taps into the Brits being the saviours of France - if it weren't for us pumping money into your economy, you'd be worse off you ungrateful lazy foreigners..

I've never heard other nationalities talk about the British in the same infantile terms as British tabloids do about the French and Germans and this sad man's grab for publicity just reflects the thinking you see daily in the UK press.

[quote user="Tresco"]

I think I must be the only person left in the world who Approves of Political Correctness.

[/quote]

You are NOT alone, Tresco!  I don't think treating people with respect and trying not to hurt their feelings is Politically Correct; I think it's what we used to refer to as having "common decency."

PG

[quote user="powerdesal"]Viva,

Pakistanis, outside of UK, have no hang ups about being called "Pakis" or "Paks", they even refer to themselves in such terms and in the press also.  Its only a UK P.C. thing, check out the rest of the World!!!!!!!!.

Regards

[/quote]

Yes they do, (mainly idiot youth), but it's based on, and still used as a derogatory term.

Like the N word. Just because some 'Black' people use it, it doesn't make it OK. Both are still terms of abuse.

Just because people are daft enough to 'reclaim', consciously or otherwise, a term of abuse to refer to themselves, doesn't mean I'm going to say 'that's fine then', you carry on.

Now that would be 'PC' idiocy.

Couldn't agree more Tresco!

In fact, we need far more to make society right.

In future, "Hysterectomy" shall be called "Herterectomy" since the former is sexist and biased to persons of the male gender, whereas the proceedure. is normally exclusive to those of a female gender. However, in order to generate true equality, "Hysterectomies" will be available to those of male gender, on demand, by NHS consultants.

In future, "Hernia" (on men) shall be called "Hisnia": same grounds as above.

Manhole Covers will be called "Access hatches and/or covers of non-specific gender. Same grounds as above.

The words "His: Her; She; He" will be replaced by "It"; same grounds as above.

Manners and courtesy will be illegal: grounds that they are patronising, demeaning and encourage elitism.

Opening doors; giving up seats etc, for persons of female or other non-male gender will be banned, since these acts foster and perpetuate the myth that one gender is subordinate to the other.

The word "Bald" will be replaced at all times by the term "Follicaly Challenged": likewise, the words "Obese"; "Fat", "Overweight","Plump", "Chubby", "Buxom", will be totally banned and excised from standard written and spoken English. The phrase "Above median average mass for that height and age" shall be used instead.

The expression, "The White Cliffs of Dover", shall be replaced by the expression, "Vertical natural wall of non-specific ethnic and/or racial origin." This amendment prevents racial abuse and avoids polarisation of the name "Cliff" to any particular racial and/or ethnic origin. Thus, in future, those born in China and/or a Chinese colony or dependency, can call their children "Criff" with no concerns about future abuse problems.

The product know as "Black Pudding", shall be referred to as "Sausage type product of non-specific racial and/or ethnic origin."

You are NOT alone, Tresco!  I don't think treating people with respect and trying not to hurt their feelings is Politically Correct; I think it's what we used to refer to as having "common decency."

And then there were three.

I heard on the BBC radio last week that the nursery rhyme  'Bah Bah Black Sheep'  has been banned in some London schools. Apparently it's regarded as racist. When I was a child I collected golliwog badges from Robertsons jams. I had a full set and was the envy of my pals. Now it seems I was being pre-programmed with sublimary racist beliefs.

What utter tosh political correctness is. People will take offence from anything if they choose to. I prefer a grown up world where a thick skin is a necessary tool.

Not sure how many French mags and daily, weekly or monthly journals people

read but I can guarantee that regularly there will be some funny (well

to me anyway) cartoons or stories, mocking us Rosbifs in one way or

another.

We are often described us many "not too nice" in one way or another, cleanliness is a recent isssue.

Why do we Brirtish think that, that it is only the Brits that are rude

or non PC to other nations ? Have no fear, the French, the journalists

in particular are not slow to mock us and the cartoonists often depict

us in a poor light. I simply see it as the entente cordiale

having a bit of a ribbing. We generally get on but there has, and will

always be a friendly (and sometimes, not so friendly, never think ALL

French are so wonderful and adore all their British neighbours..it's

a myth, honestly !!) type of rivalry.

With this chap, well to me, he was just frustratingly annoyed that

something happening in France was having a bad effect on his business

and was suitably annoyed enough to vent it on the French...Storm in a

tea cup, no one got hurt and the entente cordiale will commence again

for him once the demonstrations settle down.

[quote user="Logan"]

I heard on the BBC radio last week that the nursery rhyme  'Bah Bah Black Sheep'  has been banned in some London schools. Apparently it's regarded as racist. [/quote]

They didn't ban it. They turned it into an action song with a number of variations - the word black being one of them, making this 'they've banned ba ba black sheep' story about as true now as every other time it gets wheeled out.

The guy from the airline owns a holiday home in France. He's not saying where though[;-)]

[quote user="Val_2"]Who are Jet2 anyway? Never heard of them so they can't be that big like Easyjet and Ryanair. Someone forgot the sprouts too with their rosbif and frogs[/quote]

You see, Viva hadn't heard of them either.  Don't have an opinion either way on this, but Jet2 are geting publicity whether we like it or not.

Dotty

Sorry Val_2, not Viva.

Eh by goom Miki, yer quick off the mark today!

As you so rightly point out, one only has to put one's Times where it serves best, and get one's neb stuck into some French publications, and one will see that there are all sorts of little comments about ze British.

Politically and socially we are seen as nasty, liberal, Anglo-saxons.  And we're really weird.  A local journalist heard somehow about some garden in England that was opened as a museum of poisonous plants.  Oh how eccentric, will our strangeness never end, what a wildly bizarre idea, it could only happen in England, and so on.  

"Get over it" springs to mind as an appropriate phrase. [;-)] 

"Get over it" springs to mind as an appropriate phrase.

Many moons ago, on my travels around France, I had reason one

night to stop at a relais near Poitiers. I asked the price for the

night, was told how much and also told that for a few francs more I

could eat as well. (The receptionist had just watched Clint Eastwood

and it was her new catchphrase) I duly paid and was given a token

to offer at the door of

the resto, which incidentally I found out on walking through, was full

of

chauffeurs !

My friend and I sat amongst a large group of chaps who we soon got

talking to. After the first couple of courses and the drink was

flowing, we got down to talking of the differences between "them and

us"...The very first thing one of the men said to me was.."Do you know

we call you Rosbifs"?

"Oui" I replied "and we call you lot......".......... and at that point

my mate

was getting ready to dive under the table, he knew I was going to tell

the chap,  right between the eyes and he just pleaded with me

through his eyes, he didn't

speak but his eyes kinda said "don't, just don't...please, I haven't

had cheese,

dessert and coffee yet !!

Well I had to didn't I ?

"And we call you Frogs, ha ha " .........................

"Frogs" he said, quizzically scratching the largest moustache this side

of Mexico City, "und wot eez a frog", his mate next to him, quickly

explained and he looked at us gruffly, at which time, I seemed to be

alone, my mate had done a smokey and had slipped under the table (later

on he said he was just looking for a petit pois that had fallen off his

plate) then with the largest grin and guffaw, we were away and laughing

and accusing each others race of this and that.

At breakfast the next morning, him and all his mates were still

laughing about the night before......never fear, all races have names

for other folks, just the way we say it eh and if it is said badly,

well as SB says......................

I've travelled a bit, over the years (far too many years![:(]) and it is my observation that without exception, every race demonstrates some level of xenophobia. Additionally, most normal people poke fun at other ethnic groups. 'Tis the way of the world.

Most of us suffer from some level of pre-conception about many different things: called by behavioural pyschologists "Environmental Conditioning". We subconsciously adopt the views, biases, preferences and prejudices of our control (or supervisory) group. Mums, Dads, Grannies Uncles etc.

Hopefully, when we mature, we develop our own series of reactions and choices: hopefully.[;-)]

Racial stereotypes are pretty well set in peoples' minds: particularly where they have not travelled much and not experienced any level of social integration with other ethnic groups.

These realities were perhaps really brought home to me, wqhen I spent some time working in Silicon Valley, California, based in San Jose. In the evenings, gathering in the local bar for a refreshing gargle, it was quite arcane to hear the way the guys greeted each other. They would all be rude to each other's face and use what might appear to the sensitive, dire insults , like, "Here comes that crazy Dutchman!"

Underneath their obvious pride in the ethnicity, they were staunchly patriotic: of America.

I have long loved racial humour where people poke fun at themselves: and their race. Shows true maturity and balance to me.

To try and legislate for any form of equality is farsical and doomed to failure, IMHO. Nuff said.[:)]

Who are Jet2 anyway? Never heard of them so they can't be that big like Easyjet and Ryanair. Someone forgot the sprouts too with their rosbif and frogs

That is exactly the point of his comments - he undoubtedly has raised some wonderful publicity for his Airline.  Smart move really as they are not very well known.  Ryan Air did this before they were really well known. 

I mean he got some editorial in the Times and national news - probably worth £1 million in PR coverage.

Deby

Jet2 as far as I know is a yorkshire airline based out of Leeds. And we like it as it takes us to near home, which most of the others don't. Not super cheap like say Ryanair, but none of the nightmare of getting too and from Stanstead or all the extra costs involved and that rather long journey up north.

[quote user="Tresco"][quote user="Logan"]

I heard on the BBC radio last week that the nursery rhyme  'Bah Bah Black Sheep'  has been banned in some London schools. Apparently it's regarded as racist. [/quote]

They didn't ban it. They turned it into an action song with a number of variations - the word black being one of them, making this 'they've banned ba ba black sheep' story about as true now as every other time it gets wheeled out.

The guy from the airline owns a holiday home in France. He's not saying where though[;-)]

[/quote]

It must have been a true story, it was on the BBC![:D]

Thank you KKK.

Thinks:[I] Hm.............KKK, that's the same as Ku Klux Klan, no not the funny Chinese geezer in pantos, the other geezers who run around wearing strange white robes with pointy white hoods.

Any association, Katie, or was it merely a sort of Freudian slip?[;-)]