Expressions Which Annoy!

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...and at the opposite face of the same thing "from the word go" - much beloved by weather forecasters. I've tried getting up early but haven't heard it yet - even on Radio4 which is surely where anything that official would be uttered.

While we're talking about forecasters - here's a few more gems:

• "Outbreaks of rain in places like Norwich and Leicester" - I don't know anywhere else like that
  • "Frost during the night time hours" - as opposed to the night time oatcakes?
  • "Organised periods of rain" - who by?

The one that really makes me wince at work and seems to come out at every meeting is "direction of travel"

[quote user="SaligoBay"]Where is he hiding with his weak will, then?   He's very quiet, it's worrying.[/quote]

Dicksmith was last 'seen' posting a picture of a cushion in 'What is the Difference', a couple of hours ago.

No words; just the picture. That's even more worrying than a non appearance.

But what's all this about his weak will? Is that a sick puppy?

[quote]

[quote user="SaligoBay"]Where is he hiding with his weak will, then?   He's very quiet, it's worrying.[/quote]

Tresco:

Dicksmith was last 'seen' posting a picture of a cushion in 'What is the Difference', a couple of hours ago.

No words; just the picture. That's even more worrying than a non appearance.

[/quote]

Aha, that is where clever Dickie is one up on us, he has mac set to auto kitten. So when things look fluffy....bosh et voyla...... le chaton arrive !

Bon eh ?

[quote user="Miki"] .... he has mac set to auto kitten. So when things look fluffy....bosh et voyla...... le chaton arrive [/quote]

Oh Miki that made me laugh so much. 'Mac set to Auto Kitten...'

I think Dick should get back in here and fling the word 'Latinate' about a bit more.

Oh and when people use Acronyms like JULFS, Jond, some of us don't know what it means without searching on google, therefore wasting precious clay digging moments [:D]

[quote user="jond"][quote user="Gluestick"]

OK 3K, well here we go.

Management Buzz words.

Crossing the Rubicon: what the hell does that mean?

[/quote]

As I remember (and I could be wrong)...When Julius Caesar returned from fighting the gaulish wars he announced his desire for a bigger slice of power in Rome. He was told that he should be happy as part of a triumvite and that he should bring his army no closer to Rome than the Rubicon river. After pausing for thought for a few days, he (and his army) crossed the Rubicon and entered Rome. I believe that it was at this time JC was crteditied with saying "alea jacta est" - the die is cast. He crushed the triumvite and became Dictator of Rome.

It is quite amusing to hear JULFs in cheap suits comparing themselves to Julius Caesar.
[/quote]

I also googled but still do not know, please tell us what a JULF is?

[quote user="Tony F Dordogne"]

UK Cars with 'Show Dogs in Transit' on a notice in a car's rear window -[/quote]

So why do the owners of Transits have to show their dogs to anyone?  Or for that matter why does anyone in transit to anywhere have to show their dog at all???

I'd also like to know what a JULF is please!

Oops just found it on google after all [:-))]. 

Scarlett, it is an acronym and the first three letters stand for Jumped Up Little, I will let you figure out the fourth , it is definitely a new one on me.  Thinking about it, perhaps that saying could win a few votes on the annoying list. [:)] 

[quote user="Tresco"]

I think Dick should get back in here and fling the word 'Latinate' about a bit more.

[/quote]

Did he really do that? [:-))]  What a guy.   I must have been busy blinking at the time.  Not like me to miss a chance to threaten someone with a Procrustean bed.

Empowerment, networking, being in bed with someone (unless it's literal of course!), level playing fields, contiguous businesses, bending over forwards to help people...... [+o(]

On a more basic level, person's who cannot understand the use's of the apostrophe, get prostrate problems and get on the old dog and bone (are we all expected to burst into the Lambeth Walk??) and introduce themselves as Mr So-and-so.

Enjoy![geek]

Chrissie (81) 

I'm not hiding, I'm suffering from a bad phone line, so that it takes about 20 attempts to get a connection and then free.fr decides not to answer... Honestly, it is complete rubbish. Utter tosh. free.fr is worth exactly what you pay for it. And I didn't log on after a large meal last night. Speaking of which, has anyone near Vire eaten at Au Vrai Normand? Had lunch there and it was very good but a bit pricey. And they have a website!

The auto kitten command is very useful, but not as good as auto sarcasm. When I get some speakers rigged up to the laptop I can take it shopping with me. That little madam who had the 20 minute conversation with the previous customer before she got around to serving me would have had the sharp edge of my hard drive, I'm telling you. Oh yes. And her snooty mate - you know the one - who always looks like she's found something on the borrom of her shoe.

Ah well, back to lesson preparation (just done some stuff on the Battle of Stamford Bridge, Miki).

I think so, it was the loss of his housecarls that was crucial, not the loss of the element of surprise. And, of course, the scheming of the Northern Earls who arrived just too late to help and then dithered about with the Ætheling instead of penning William into his salient. But the biggest fault was Harold's in not waiting or sending Gyrth and Leofwine to fight whilst he gathered more men in London.

[quote user="Dick Smith"]I think so, it was the loss of his housecarls

that was crucial, not the loss of the element of surprise. And, of

course, the scheming of the Northern Earls who arrived just too late to

help and then dithered about with the Ætheling instead of penning

William into his salient. But the biggest fault was Harold's in not

waiting or sending Gyrth and Leofwine to fight whilst he gathered more

men in London.

[/quote]

No, I believe in fate, Harold would have copped a long pointy thing in

his eye sooner or later anyway....don't blame the Bridge, it's just not

on ................