Expressions Which Annoy!

Nothing to do with France (or politics![;-)]) except perhaps when one is brushing up one's French language, construction and words become more important. (Who honestly remembered what prepositions were?)

What modern idiom annoys you? [:@]

Me: it's things like "But I mean.........." at the beginning of a sentence when nothing has already been stated which wasn't what you actually intended! Well come on, either you mean what you are going to say, or you don't!

Also using nouns as verbs, such as "Texed" and "Texted". Urghhhh! And "Clubbing".

I'm sure Dick Smith will have summat to say here.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm all in favour of language change. Your example of making a noun out of a verb was a great favourite of Shakespeare's, and makes good sense, and 'invitation' smacks of a false Latinate expression of the 18th century.

My bête noir is people who use odd phrases from foreign languages to make themselves look well-educated. Oh, and, uh, people who like, umm, hesitate all the time.

[quote user="jond"]"Gobsmacked."

This drives me quite mad. Language may evolve but I incline strongly to the view that it should at least try to do so with a degree of elegance.

[/quote]

Oh Jond I am cringing now, I said gobsmacked today.  I am with viva people who start sentences with basically.

I saw an advert in the paper this week 'the most invisible hearing aid in the world'.  How can it me more invisible than invisible?

Google says

>> The phrase rain check has at least three senses, of which the original and literal is now the least common.

A rain check was once a ticket (that's the check part) for future use issued to spectators at an outdoor event that has been postponed or interrupted by rain.

The sense you are asking about is a transferred sense, one that has the same basic meaning but applied to a different set of circumstances: 'a voucher entitling a customer to purchase at a later date and for the same price a sale item that is temporarily out of stock'. Divorced from the context of outdoor events, there is, as you point out, no logical explanation for the "rain" part, but the main meaning--a ticket allowing you to do later what you were prevented, through no fault of your own, from doing now--is the same.

Finally, there is a figurative sense, 'an offered or requested postponement of an invitation until a more convenient, usually unspecified time'.

The literal sense of rain check, which is an Americanism, is first found in the 1880s in reference to a baseball game. The practice of giving a rain check to a ticketholder was formalized in 1890 in the constitution of the National League. >>

Most quotations are attributed to Shakespeare, the bible and/or Mark Twain so take your pick.

John

not

'I know where you're coming from'............................................. beurk!

Partner.................................... what utter tripe that little word is.......

Already you.............

We have been away so long that sometimes people would be talking to us when we were back in the UK and we would be glancing at one another as some things just sounded like poppyco ck. We have never lived in an atmosphere where it is used ie the UK, so don't use it ourselves. Gus's dialogue on Drop the Dead Donkey illustrates so well, all that nonsense speak we've missed out on.

In french there is  'hein', quite quite horrible.

Sometimes when I am in England I will ask friends if the french word I feel like I have to use is 'the' word in english and usually it is. I really try and avoid using french words but sometimes there is no alternative, I too think it sounds pretentious.  I wish I could just pop it into conversation like Delboy does, now that is a hoot.

And my husband hates 'drawring'.