LF May edition/Da Vinci Code

Fay

A hasty warning to the handful of people who, like me, have not yet read or are still reading The Da Vinci Code. DON'T READ THE EDITORIAL INTRO ON PAGE 3 OF THIS MONTH'S LF, as Lucy-Jane Cypher gives away a major plot point (or possibly THE plot, I don't know as I've only just succumbed to reading DVC).

In fact, don't even OPEN page 3 as the bloomin' thing is the large-point-size strapline to the whole piece.

Thanks a bunch, Lucy-Jane.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Dick Smith"]I've never thrown away books lightly, but I

lobbed those two, and cursed myself for buying the second. Utter

gorrocks.

[/quote]

If you find them in the garden, can I have 'em for the fire please ?

No I know you meant it, we burned ours. I was just hoping you might

have chucked 'em in the long grass and when cutting the grass one day,

you might have found them.

Seems a waste not to give them a nice send off [;-)]

[quote user="Eslier"][quote user="SaligoBay"]

Never mind.  Read "Angels & Demons" instead, it's much better.

[/quote]

Yes, couldn't agree more. I enjoyed the first book but "Angels and Demons" (which is a prequal) was much much more gripping.

[/quote]

Ditto.

[quote user="Dick Smith"]I've never thrown away books lightly, but I lobbed those two, and cursed myself for buying the second. Utter gorrocks.
[/quote]

I entirely agree but I sent my books to a charity shop in the UK I (and I usually keep things for a second or third read), forget which one though but I've no doubt anyone who wants one will find plenty on the Charity shelves.  I've offended a couple of french friends by saying it is a load of old B...., they seem to have taken it rather seriously.  Maybe it is better in tanslation[;-)].

Liz

I know, I know... never thought I would succumb to Mr Brown's oeuvre but, having just visited Rennes-le-Chateau, I weakened. That's my sorry excuse.

Anyway, having great fun spotting the gaffes (eg Gare St-Lazare on the outside, Gare du Nord within - his editor should be blushing at letting that one get through).

All this notwithstanding - giving away a major plot spoiler, be it who dies in the latest Harry Potter, who shot JR/Phil Mitchell, whether Tom Kitten gets eaten in a roly-poly pudding or if Hamlet lives happily ever after, is either very mean or unprofessionally thoughtless.

Maybe one of you guys who read it before it became firelighters can let me know if L-J C has really given away the denoument? Just 'yes' or 'no' would suffice!

All the readers I know in England and France were going on about this book and I just have not fancied it at all. So I am glad now that I didn't pay out good money for the book.

And someone gave me The Olive Farm to read and that, well, I have really tried to get past the first couple of chapters, but there is little to hold my attention.  I don't like the way she writes and the content seems sheer fantasy so far.

Hubby has just finished The Olive Farm - said I should read it - to keep me in the mood for moving over.   We both preferred Angels & Demons to the DVC - but you should try Umberto Ecos "The Name of the Rose"?  Excellent & much more un-put-downable!! 

P.S. Still very upset since I discovered, in the "Terrible News" posts, that you can't get Cadbury Cream Eggs in France!! [:@]

I've noticed that too. The previous time I came to France would be about 18 years ago and there was heaps. When I came to live in France last October I haven't seen any by cadburys.

And Angels and Demons was better than the Da Vinci Code. Can't believe the amount of people who have taken it seriously as if it was fact. Still there's another book out there where people have done a similar thing....:)

It was not better in French!  

Dick may I have permission to use your copyright on the words 'Utter Gorrocks' which seem to me a perfectly charming expression of disgust, or is it a small village in the Westcountry?

Maggi

You can get the creme eggs at the british shop at Foix. I like to suck the contents out while my other half pops it in the gob whole. Anyway, did anyone else NOT enjoy the 'Code' book? I found it a bit hard to take in that all the events took place pretty much over a 24 hour period...boy did those two get around in that space of time!. Took too long to get to the point  for me.

[quote user="Miki"]Better sure, but sorry anything would be better to read than the flipping Da Vinci cobblers code, it made for a somewhat better fire lighter than it did a factual read [:D]

[/quote]

Equal par to 'A suitable boy' by ... well...  you see how interesting it was I can't remember the author! I have never seen so much forest culled to print such long boring story!...

Well I am definitely looking forward  to waching the film version, Tom Hanks doesn't do much wrong filmwise in my opinion and I liked Audrey Tatou (sp?) in Amelie.

I see the Arch Bishop of York I think it was has got his kickers in a knot over the book though!

I think that, rather than having 'his knickers in a twist' the Bishop has a good point. What he actually said was:

"There are places in our world where conversion to Christianity is literally a matter of putting your life on the line.

"We have all been following the story of Abdul

Rahman in Afghanistan and we know that his story is not unique," he

says - referring to the Afghan who was threatened with death for

converting to Christianity.

"We can say with absolute certainty that whatever the

Gospel means in circumstances like that, it isn't a cover-up for the

sake of the powerful."

Now I'm no Christian, but I see what he is saying, that spiritual belief is not to be subordinated to a rather silly, and pretty badly written, book based on an equally silly US conspiracy theory. In fact, I suspect that is precisely the sort of thing that he is paid to get his knickers in a twist and warn his flock about...

Well fair enough, I guess if one watches it in the way one watched Tom

Hanks in Toy Story, then I guess it might be a watchable yarn but as

with books, my problem is,  I cannot deal with a film that is

painfully and obviously not related to true facts BUT has what it

thinks to be a believable angle which is flawed by **utter gorrocks

...then I pull chunks out my hair and bounce upside down on the gravel

[:)]

It took me ages to believe that Pinochio was just a dummy but since then...............................[:)]

** "utter gorrocks"  by kind permission of Mr Dick Smith.

Ali, I agree with your hubby that you should read Carol Drinkwater's "The Olive Farm" and her two other books, which are "The Olive Season" and the "The Olive Harvest". I am reading it the second time  (I very rarely read a book twice) but I am trying to keep myself in the mood after a tediously long renovation.

I think the books are pretty good and I admire her for her honesty and courage in letting the reader look into quite intimate aspects of her life (1st book being in love, 2nd book miscarrying her baby, 3rd book her partner leaving her and having to fend for herself).  I have read the Da Vinci Code, and found it quite boring but I will try Angels and Demon (as it's been recommended as "gripping").

Dick,

Surely you cannot believe that the Christian church has not conspired in whatever shape or form throughout history to shape the Christianity that we have today. If this book, can make people question the Church that cannot be altogether a bad thing.

Is it so unreasonable to think that Jesus and Mary Magadalene were in some way 'connected'? Especially as the Church has only in recent times ended its propaganda of her as a fallen woman / harlot. But, if they did acknowledge that she was his companion, where would that leave the Church and its male domination ?

Certainly, the discovery of the Qumran scrolls in 1947 shed a greater light on how the bible should be interpreted. It is clear that a far greater number of gospels were rejected by the early Church in favour of the the gospels, Matthew , Mark, Luke and John. Which read in their actual context and original language sheds little light on the real life of Jesus, and this  begs the question why is the Arch Bishop so keen to dismiss out of hand, in his words, ' ancient texts'?

Dan Brown's story may be a work of fiction but certain aspects have a strong resonance of 'truth' if read in conjunction with Australia's foremost theologian Dr Barbara Thering's book ' Jesus The Man ', in which she contends that Jesus did not die on the cross but went to  father children with Mary Magdalene. Again, one has to ask why the Church  and the Jewish faith having accepted the authenticty of the Dead Sea Scrolls then either rejects the words from the scrolls that don't suit its purpose or as Geza Vermes did in his interpretation, put his own political spin on it. 

The Church has held power over peoples' minds and lives for millenium, supplanting christian festivals over pagan ones and for many years gaining control through fear. It has the most to lose, if the Bible is challenged.

I think the Christian Church has done women generally  a great disservice and if Barbara Thering's research and theories are correct, a even bigger injustice to Mary Magdalene.