A new member writes....

SueM

Having signed up yesterday, I thought I'd while away some hours at work reading the post bag. There are the occasional references to useful information being received but the vast majority of messages appear to be sniping at other correspondents and it is extremely boring. I can only assume that there are a lot of sad people out there, with nothing better to do so I guess I'll have to look elsewhere for useful information.

SueM

I'll have to look elsewhere for useful information.

You could start with the sections above the Post Bag.

Those sections tend to be where most people ask specific questions and receive advice.

The Post Bag is for more general discussion about France, but yes, at the moment it is dominated by self referential discussions. I'm sorry you seem to have wasted 'some hours' reading it.

I read it all in small chunks as it was happening Michael, rather than sitting down and ploughing through it after the event. I even joined in a couple of times.

I've been here for nearly 3 years. I read the forum for a year before that, and I knew straight away that the Post Bag would be of least help/interest to me at that time.  The forum headings give some guidance there.

I only started reading anything in the "General Discussion" section about 6 months after finding the Forum.  It's only when you get to know some of the people in here that this section comes into it's own.  If I had gone atraight to it, I think I to would have been intimadated away.  Now it's like catching up on the latest biz with a group of old (no reference to age intended) mates!!  [:D]

[quote user="Russethouse"]Patmobile - I just love your new avatar....and I don't say that often.[:)][/quote]

Ooo la la qu'est ce qu'il est beau ! Encore plus beau si il était sur mon oreiller [:D] !!

The one I like most of all is that of Dick ! From young bearded wonder to old one to cheeky chappy to chimp...

I know that according to the Darwin theory we descend from chimps/apes but did not know that the process could be reversed[:D]

Don't get upset Dick... I love your wisdom on this forum and Mikki's (BRING HIM BACK!!) and Russethouse and Patmobile and Opas and ... everyone on this mad forum...

[quote user="Opas"]

[quote user="Russethouse"]Patmobile - I just love your new avatar....and I don't say that often.[:)][/quote]

Looks like LB about 10 years ago!

[/quote]

Oh - has he aged well ? Can I change my mind about him ? [:)]

Perhaps not, Mr Russethouse is really quite nice !

[quote user="Russethouse"][quote user="Opas"]

Looks like LB about 10 years ago!

[/quote]

Oh - has he aged well ? Can I change my mind about him ? [:)]

Perhaps not, Mr Russethouse is really quite nice !

[/quote]

few more grey ones in there now!  still got all his own white teeth though[:)]    and theres more to him than just good looks[:P]

[quote user="SaligoBay"]

It's that George Cloony bloke, innit?

You can have him.  Way too creepy-smooth, and the chin is just TOO big. 

Teal'c the Hairless would do me.  Or Colonel Jack O'Neill.  Or many others.  But not Gloony. [+o(]

[/quote]

Agree about the creepy-smooth and not to mention some of the things he has come up with recently. But love the chin and everything else for that matter. [:-))].

[quote user="SaligoBay"]

Or Colonel Jack O'Neill. 

[/quote]

Yesssss, the RDA effect. The master of the bemused expression. No words needed. Because apparently, as the series have progressed, the writers can't get him to say most of what they write so eventually they gave up writing anything for him. Haven't seen any of the Ben Browder episodes yet... have you? And I'm finding myself worryingly enamoured of the new Doctor Who... the David Tennant version...

I think I should stop now. What was this thread about??? [:-))]

[quote user="catalpa"][quote user="SaligoBay"]

Or Colonel Jack O'Neill. 

[/quote]

Yesssss, the RDA effect. The master of the bemused expression. No words needed. Because apparently, as the series have progressed, the writers can't get him to say most of what they write so eventually they gave up writing anything for him. [/quote]

LOL, it's true, isn't it? 

I admit, I wasn't really thinking about his mind.  Or Tealc's either, although he does have that logic thing like Mr Spock used to have.

[quote user="SaligoBay"]

Or Colonel Jack O'Neill. 

I admit, I wasn't really thinking about his mind.  [/quote]

I misled you if I indicated in any way that I was...[Www]

( ...btw, it's Teal'c... and therefore Teal'c's... I'm not one to comment on apostrophes normally but apostrophes are such a minefield around here. One misplaced apostrophe might lead to you being accused of being... someone completely different... ) [:-))]

And I keep forgetting to say... welcome to the new member. [:)] Enjoy.

I must say I agree - I rarely bother with the Postbag as even in the unlikely event that the post stays on subject (see where this one has gone!) it does seem to end up in bickering. Life is too short to become engaged in petty squabbles and I find the exchanges neither entertaining nor edifying.

I agree with the other contibutors who suggest that you stick to the specific categories which are generally conducted in a more adult manner. I have often found these very useful indeed with some excellent and well thought out contributions. So don't give up yet!

Some people like the Postbag and they are welcome to it - the Forum overall certainly cannot please all the people all the time and we all have a choice as to which sections we use. If anyone feels moved to object to my opinion please do not bother - the opinion is mine only and in truth I really do not care what objectors think.

Andy

Dear Sue

Don't give up so quickly!

There really is a load of useful information in almost all parts of the site. And when you have specific questions people are really quick to respond with help, and are very generous with their time and knowledge (as an example, one I hope you never need to use, see the help and kindness afforded in the answers to the question about a death in France, in the Health section).

I have benefited often from the help and experiences of others, during the long and (in my case) traumatic process of turning dream into reality, and try to do my bit in return when I can.

I just don't bother to read anything which hints of going off on one so remain blissfully ignorant of who's sniping at whom, while enjoying pretty much everything else.

[quote user="catalpa"]( ...btw, it's Teal'c... and therefore Teal'c's... I'm not one to comment on apostrophes normally but apostrophes are such a minefield around here. One misplaced apostrophe might lead to you being accused of being... someone completely different... ) [:-))][/quote]

You are so right, catalpa.  I've been a bit unbalanced since I gave Tresco a load of apostrophes about a week ago, it's left me light-headed.

Imagine what kind of alien I could end up with.  [:'(]