How do les Anglais Make You Wince?

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Memories brought back, here.

My late mother (for some strange reason, never fully understood, since she was very much not a Frankie Howard appreciation type personna: quite the reverse: he was "vulgar", one of her favoured words), used to visit this rather eccentric woman, Mrs Howard, who was Blanche's mother. Blanche was Howard's long suffering stooge pianist. I had to drive Mum to see Mrs Howard.

Funny: I have forgotten that until now![Www]

A good thing, probably.

That's strange twinks, I got a pm from a mod who explained that the pic was removed because they (or at least one of them)  'infringed intellectual copyright'. My reply was deleted, and I think one of Dicks was too as a result (automatically).

Let's not panic, but it does seem odd that I had an explanation and not you.

Yes. The moderator was concerned that the picture library would charge for the use of the photographs. Apparently deleting the posts with the pictures in automatically deleted posts that were replies to those posts. Obviously.

So I hope that you are all the copyright holders of the pictures you use for your avatars and in posts. If not you must expect all your posts to be deleted.

Incidentally, Photobucket's advice in these circumstances is that if you don't want your pictures to be used in this way then don't post them on the net, there's nothing anyone can do. It is my understanding that the agreement to purchase an image does not cover a 72dpi screen version, as these are unusable in print, which may make a profit. I don't imagine anyone is going to take action over a non-profit use.

Zealous, eh?

When photo libraries or others who sell pictures for a living put their catalogues on-line they obviously run the risk of someone downloading the image and using it on a forum or, for example, in an educational PowerPointâ„¢ presentation (>cough<). This can't really be prevented, so the image is shown at a size and a resolution which mean that it can't be printed (too pixelly at 72 dots per inch - you need at least 300 for even a small print).

So they don't bother about it (as far as I am aware - but I'm sure someone knows better).