How do les Anglais Make You Wince?

Not sure where this thread is going.  Seeing as you're talking about firemen and women just thought I'd mention that I have slid down one of those emergency firemen poles[:-))]  Well I sort of slithered down 'cos' at the time I was wearing a rather short skirt!!

Ok I'll go on the Naughty Girl Stories thread with that one.

There Gluestick! That's livened the thread up a bit[;-)]

Oh -  and I was a Miss at the time[:)]

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I would worry about is if she would have the strength to carry my 16 stone grandad over her shoulder and down a ladder in the event of a fire.  My point is if they cannot keep up with the lads with regards to strength then they should not be recruited in the first place.  And I believe this is crazy stuff PC.

Gluestick said that it wasn't possibel to become a firefighter these days unless you were an "ethnic minority female lesbian with one leg."

I was just making the point that this isn't true.

I'd be glad if anyone of any sex or colour rescued me if I needed it.

Hoddy

[quote user="Hoddy"]

Gluestick said that it wasn't possibel to become a firefighter these days unless you were an "ethnic minority female lesbian with one leg."

I was just making the point that this isn't true.

[/quote]

It is absolutely untrue.  There are many male lesbians in the rescue services.

I have a cousin who lost her leg below the knee, the result of cancer when she was 13. She was in the USA at the time and took part in most school activities, certainly went on trips etc, even went to New York to play in the school orchestra. When she came back she applied for and got a place on the Douglas Bader scholarship and qualified as a pilot, then she went to Uni and joined the rowing team as cox (very popular as unscrewing her leg and leaving it in the boathouse made her extra light) Then she started mountain climbing.

Now she has a delightful 3 year old who keeps her  running around, and is prone out to point out her mothers false leg with some pride.

Nul point to the customs officer who made her remove her leg before she got on the plane for her honeymoon though :(

Great! Some humour![kiss]

Loved the comment, Saligo, I like it![:D]

All this talk of sliding down poles in minskirts reminds me of Benny Hill: anyone else remember those vulgar but very funny gags?

Agree, Hoddy: could have been my acquaintance, if he had not have been so lucky at the time: his mate was able to drag him out.

I do still feel that the question of physical strength is valid, though.

Fantastic story about your cousin, Russet.

I have always had the greatest admiration for these sorts of achievements. Shows most of us up when we feel sorry for ourselves and start whingeing.

Ah, Douglas Bader: one of my real heroes. Re-read Paul Brickhill's biography, Reach for the Sky, recently. I always wanted to meet Bader and only wish I could play his standard of golf, even without any physical handicaps. An amazing man!

I saw a documentary about him in which some of the 'Hills Angels' recounted how he expected 'sex acts' from them. Nothing perverted, but apparently he didn't do normal, just Lewinsky stuff. What was amazing was that they just seemed to accept the situation.

[quote user="Gluestick"]

Strange that: apparently in France he is still revered?

Obviously, I have a juvenile sense of humour at times. Or very deep and surealist.

[/quote]

Ah, you beat me to it, Gluestick!   He does seem to be very popular in France, doesn't he? 

He can be a bit seedy, but Cloclo can be disturbing at times too.  Especially when he wore a polo neck. [+o(] 

Rather Benny Hill for me( in very small doses) than Norman Wisdom, just what is funny about wearing a jacket too tight, a cap skew whiff and falling over whilst laughing uncontrollably at something no-one else can comprehend? And he's got a statue in Albania I think.

Didn't like Norman Wisdom either, but I appreciate his humour more now.

Oddly and perversely, as a child, I just loved Frankie Howard  OOOh Aaah Missus [:)]

Just in case you are thinking that I was brought up with a lack of humour I have to say that my mother and my Aunt were great gigglers, as are my sister and I. (which is why, at her wedding later this year, we will not be treated to a reading of the owl and the pussycat, despite the registrars suggestion [:)][:)] )