Alphabet Soup

Don't you thionk it would have been a lot better if he had botherred to find out what things like TIP stood for?

The French are very good at acronyms but the UK is not that far behind, with SS,  MOT , DWP, BBC,  ITV,  ITN, GLA,  TfL,  TUC, RMT , NUM, NUT,  ROSPA, RAC, AA , YUPPIE  etc etc

[quote user="Ron Avery"] UK is not that far behind, with SS,  MOT , DWP, BBC,  ITV,  ITN, GLA,  TfL,  TUC, RMT , NUM, NUT,  ROSPA, RAC, AA , YUPPIE  etc etc [/quote]

There do seem to be more in France, though, Ron. Of the UK ones, my special favourite was always LOMBARD............................[:)]

PS, if you google French acronyms, there are a number of bilingual ones, including one which I think is an EU site, giving not only the French but the acronyms of other EU member states. Quite useful............. (http://europa.eu.int/eurodicautom/Controller)

I was at a meeting yesterday about what used to be called the projet d'etablissement. It's now called a PAP-et and has to be planned to fit in with the PAPA and the PAP. The headteacher seemed to delight in telling us that we would have to take into account the PPRE, ATP, ARE  and IDD to say nothing of the CECS. Finally someone gave up and asked her if she could translate what she was saying into French

No one here involved (past life or now) with ICT? (And there we go once more! Information and Communcations Technology).

Earlier this week, I was having an econference with India. I typed in "ASP", which led to considerable confusion. One of the other guys assumed (always dangerous!) that I meant Active Server Pages (A Microsoft dbase product used at the back-end of webservers for websites) but I actually meant Application Service Provider, which is something totally different!

The only area which I have found enjoys almost as many acronyms as ICT is education.

In various roles, I've needed either an Acronym:English - English:Acronym dictionary or a full-time translator! Didn't have either, sadly and just had to guess as we went along.

Almost as bad are PC English and local authorities and regional government........................................