Who is ruining things for the rest of us?

Will

I've noticed, over the last few months, a great change in the type of posts & replies being given on the forum  What has really struck me is the personal attacts that have been started on some of the regular, long term members, in my opinion, for no reason. 

Things that were said, talked about & discussed months ago - with no animosity - are suddenly jumped upon by newer members & turned into slanging matches.  Threads suddenly appear, that have no other reason but to cause an upset.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion & who is to say who is right or wrong - but to log-on to deliberately cause an argument seems very churlish, indeed. 

Well I suppose this occurs because newer members will be trawling the forum looking for information and may happen across something with which they disagree.

It's important to bear in mind that all of the people with hundreds and thousands of posts were once new members too and that every single new member, despite (or maybe because of) how they begin, has the potential to become an integral part of the forum too.

Don't think you quite got my point.  There seem to be new members who do nothing but take delight in insulting & abusing other members.  I believe they are called "trolls".  They pop-up (usually from below bridges!) in every forum - Mark was telling to me about some who have invaded a guitar forum he enjoys & they could even be causing similar problems on the football forum, you mentioned earlier.

By the way (& I know I'm totally of subject) - thank God for Crouch & Gerrard in the last 10 minutes!!  My nerves were frayed & finger nails bleeding!!

I agree with the points made by St. Amour and Alcazar too. Those

members who have lived in France a long time are obviously more

knowledgable, but honestly their views are often very biased, when I

compare them with advice from friends in our area who have been here as

long if not longer. They are by no means always right.  I think

it's mainly the Postbag and Lounge which aren't as good as before. The

rest seems to be still at a good standard. I have only ever made one

comment to the moderators  but have had to " hold my tongue" many

times rather than get into a quarrel as I'm no good at that. Miki et al

- not everyone can argue and debate constructively in writing. Pat.

[quote user="Patf"]their views are often very biased, when I compare them with advice from friends in our area who have been here as long if not longer. They are by no means always right.  [/quote]

LOL, forumites are biased because they don't agree with your friends? 

Why not your friends are biased because they don't agree with the forumites?  [Www]

Anyway, as every single commune in France seems to live a life completely independent of every other commune, maybe both are right?  [:D]

I wonder if Will got some sort of  Special Dispensation to start this thread.

Quillan made a brief appearance ealier, and Gay is bobbing around too. Moderation i.e, the actions of the Mods,  has been mentioned, yet the thread remains.

It's all most peculiar. And rather refreshing.

By the way, I was having a bit of a lark before. I agree with Will, about the rash of deletions and lockings.

During the Miki banning episode I got so fed up with the childish behaviour on this forum that I said I wouldn't post anymore.  That doesn't mean I was taking Miki's side;  I never worked out what he had done so couldn't take a side.....  But it hasn't stopped me dropping in to take a look at times, and that's only confirmed my belief that I did the right thing.   As I`said at the time, I joined because I thought I might be able to help people and learn something myself, but almost everything I saw seemed to be about people taking offence at each other.  Sure the moderation seems a bit heavy handed too, but it's primarily the posters who seem to have serious problems, and this is particularly worrying when it concerns people who are living in another country (think of the impression it must give to the French  of foreigners!)  Grow up or go to see a psychiatrist;   I'm really off now.

[quote user="Opalienne"]Grow up or go to see a psychiatrist;   I'm

really off now. ~~~~ No, it was for a lot of people.   And

now I really am off! [/quote]

I refuse to grow up, I really do. I have seen what it can do to people.

They get grumpy and incontinent, they go to see the old trick cyclistes

every Wednesday afternoon. They go to Thé Dansants, they curl their hair

and dye it red and to top it all, they go on marches for hours on

end.

No, I am all for staying another Peter Pan......and go to Benidorm

every March and show ourselves up terribly, it's so bad, the kids won't

even meet up with us until we leave for more sedate areas. [:D]

[quote user="Patf"]Saligo - I put more faith in someone I know in real life than someone

in cyberspace. At least I can see how they run their lives and question

what they say. Pat.

[/quote]

Fire away Pat, bung us some questions and we will see how we do [:)]

We searched in the Gers for a while, nearly 20 years ago and decided

against buying there, not for any particular reason but it was not

then, what we had in mind. It was made pretty clear by a few Immos that

barely any Brits were about. Would I be right then, by suspecting that

long term Brits, over say, 20 years,  would be thin on the ground

in the Gers? Anyway, as SB said regions can differ and there is more

than one way to skin a merguez. I could also give you a differing

version of France in 3 to 4 regions that we know extremely well through

life here. I have never claimed to know everything here, only what I do

know, I think I know well and will offer help based on that and NEVER

on something I could only guess at or heard in a bar.

Miki -  You are right (!) about the

shortage of brits in the Gers. But we are lucky to have 3 families as

friends who have been here for 20+ years. One couple have been here for

30+ years and he is bilingual and on the council and a great source of

help. To get back to the forum - there are obviously some members who

are experts in a particular fields, and many who  are well meaning

and  sympathetic. Can't think of a suitable question at the

moment. Going back to Will - it's not so long since you were a

moderator, so you should know who the complainers are. or have they

changed too? Pat.

It was a genuine question. Although I am a little shocked, that in your

area you have found 3 families with over 20 years of living here. I can

honestly say, that if I racked my brain, I could probably only come up

with half a dozen folks we know with similar longevity  in all of

France.

I think Will can answer in his own way but most of the real, so called complaints supposedly

came after Will resigned, can't remember much activity before. I used

to get an email from Will on rare occasions, asking if perhaps my reply

was correct, we would talk for twenty minutes and then decide I was

right (sorry that's not true, that is my dedication to Brian clough !!)

Will simply talked it through with anyone I believe.

Well, we used to get the odd complaint, but most of those were just one person trying to score points off another rather than about any genuine breach of the forum code. So I have no way of knowing if there are more moaners about now. What Miki says is quite right, we used to discuss things, as Miki says he always thought he was right [;-)] I wasn't always so sure [blink] but we'd sort it out and have a good chat. Unfortunately that approach doesn't really fit in with the current rules.

Thanks to everybody who has replied, in private as well as on the forum.

[quote user="Opalienne"]but it's primarily the posters who seem to have serious problems, and this is particularly worrying when it concerns people who are living in another country (think of the impression it must give to the French  of foreigners!)  Grow up or go to see a psychiatrist;  .[/quote]

Wooooo, Opalienne! [:D]

French v foreigners indeed!   Are you saying that French people never râle about trivial things?   Get onto some French forums, they're not so very different!  [:D]

Oh, and going to see the psy is SUCH a French thing to do, dahling, they simply ALL do it, even if they don't tell you.   It's certainly one way to feel integrated.  [Www]

online quarrelling is also addictive, in precisely the same way Tetris is addictive. It appeals to the "lab rat" part of your brain; the annoying, irrepressible part that adores repetitive pointlessness and would gleefully make you pop bubblewrap till Doomsday if it ever got its way. An unfortunate few, hooked on the futile thrill of online debate, devote their lives to its cause. They roam the internet, actively seeking out viewpoints they disagree with, or squat on messageboards, whining, needling, sneering, over-analysing each new proclamation - joylessly fiddling, like unhappy gorillas doomed to pick lice from one another's fur for all eternity.  http://www.guardian.co.uk/Columnists/Column/0,,1788773,00.html [:D]

Living France was not the only message board I thought of when I read this! As weliveinhope says, these kind of things happen on every forum - you just have to learn how to separate the wheat from the chaff and ignore the pointless posts.