[quote user="SaligoBay"]

[quote user="Miki"][

Oh no, now SB will

get quite sordid on that score....what does one do with Marmite

indeed.... in SB's case,  I believe it's to do with players and

balls or summat like that innit ?

[/quote]

You are misaligning me, Miki.

I think you'll find it was tongues rather than balls.  

I mean, there's sordid and there's sordid.  Or is there?  Or are there?  Maybe sordidn't.   

[/quote]

And then there's downright down and sordid, tongues of course being  the issue here [:P] Misaligning, goodness, how many cases do Marmite have out against you now [;)]

There is no feeling like the smugness you feel when you manage to scrape just enough Marmite from the jar for another piece of toast. Top tip (from James Kew): pour boiling water into a near-empty jar and drink the jar clean.    

What can you do with Marmite?

In some neighborhoods it is (apparently!) common for nursing mothers to dab a little on their nipples before feeding their infants.

There are reports that some balding men have tried smearing Marmite on their heads to promote hair growth. No assessment of whether it works, however.

Hmmm... I'm still not convinced   [8-)]    http://www.ilovemarmite.com/2006/3/14/marmite/squeezy-marmite.asp

[quote user="Russethouse"]

Perhaps Hoddy is from Harlow ? [:D] [:D]

http://www.harlow.gov.uk/content-7718

(If either of you two stella pink font users saw Tags earlier posts, do you think you change to an easier to read type colour, please. She is not the only shortsighted member !)

[/quote]

Just logged on, wiped out after helping my daughters understaffed school with swimming lessons (CP & CE1 classes) all morining, organising and now starring in a birthday pyjama party for my 7 year old and 6 of her friends[:)] -only to discover that i'm not allowed to write in violet anymore!  Is nègre alright for you all?[:@] 

[quote user="Russethouse"]

Its not a question of not being allowed Twinkle, it was a request as one of the contributers to this thread has extremely poor eyesight.[A]

PS Hope you enjoy your party !

[/quote]

No problem!  Not being funny but right now I wish I was hard of HEARING I think it's time I put this pyjama party to bed[;)]

It looks as if you are both right Tag and Hoddy (fom the above site) :

The basic raw material used in the manufacture of MARMITE is spent brewer's yeast, a substance whose original and only use was to ferment sugars into alcohol. For many years this by-product of the brewing process was seen as a nuisance rather than potentially valuable food source. However in 1680, a Dutch scientist, Leouwenhoek, examined this yeast under a microscope and saw that it was composed of tiny spherical and ovoid cells. The French scientist, Louis Pasteur, realised that these cells were in fact living plants. Further investigation by a German chemist, Leibig, found that this yeast could be made into a concentrated food product, which resembled extract of meat in appearance, smell and colour, however was vegetarian.

A number of people tried to manufacture this yeast extract for commercial purposes, but with little success. This changed in 1902, when the Marmite Food Company Limited, was formed. This company was committed to producing a perfected form of yeast extract for popular consumption. They rented a disused malt house in Burton-on-Trent for the modest sum of 100.00 pounds a year and set to work.

Tag, may I ask you if you are a he or a she.  I thought you were Mr. Tag, but in the quote above Russethouse says "she is not the only shortsighted member."

[quote user="Christine Animal"] It looks as if you are both right Tag and Hoddy (fom the above site) :

The basic raw material used in the manufacture of MARMITE is spent brewer's yeast, a substance whose original and only use was to ferment sugars into alcohol. For many years this by-product of the brewing process was seen as a nuisance rather than potentially valuable food source. However in 1680, a Dutch scientist, Leouwenhoek, examined this yeast under a microscope and saw that it was composed of tiny spherical and ovoid cells. The French scientist, Louis Pasteur, realised that these cells were in fact living plants. Further investigation by a German chemist, Leibig, found that this yeast could be made into a concentrated food product, which resembled extract of meat in appearance, smell and colour, however was vegetarian.

[/quote]

This is just too good to be true!  Some of the greatest minds have willingly applied their energies to the creation of the amazing finished product we know as Marmite.  It gets better and better.

If it was good enough for Pasteur and Liebig and that Dutch bloke, it's good enough for me.

"Only" brewer's yeast paste indeed.   O ye of little thick stickiness. 

I have to ask SB, have you (or anyone else) ever tried to wean yourself off this evil temptress they are calling brewers yeast and on to that golden taste of sunlight.....................Heinz Sandwich spread.

Don't mock....I personally know of  many ex pats that have gone

through this shock treatment and for many, it has opened their mind as

to their now being a life outside...Marmite.

Tonight we had 2 sandwich spread filled sandwiches as an apero and

afterwards (with digestif) only needed one half a slice of toast each

topped with Marmite. This time last year we were having up to 10 thickly

Marmited slices a day, now we are free and it's all thanks to

...............Heinz Sandwich spread.

So there is hope, where once there was none............

[quote user="Tresco"]I'd rather eat jellied eels than  HSS.  And thats saying something.[/quote]

I hadn't got to that, have you tried them together in a weak mixture of

Birds custard. Now that's French cooking at its very best [:D]

Hello all

Just been catching up on this thread and have to say that HSS is vomit in a jar.  Now marmite, well is the perfect hangover cure.  Not that I ever get hangovers of course.  I am told two heavily buttered, lightly marmited slices of toast is the perfect way to end the nausea.  Damn, my son used the last of our jar this morning, how am I going to manage tomorrow.

Dotty

[quote user="Miki"][quote user="KatieKopyKat"]Does anybody miss traditional pie and mash from the eel shops in london?[/quote]

You betcha and wiv a nice lashing of liquor, although O.H and other friends often preferred

gravy,  and how can one forget those cooshty salt beef sarnies from Tubby Isaacs !!

Do miss old smokie now and again !

[/quote]

There was a place called (I think) Brown's in Rotherhithe that

used to do brilliant jellied eels. We used to get taken out (on school

nights, no less) for evenings of ill repute by some service suppliers

of ours and we'd always end up there about 2am. It was a cabman's

pull-up as well, so it was usually possible to find a ride back to NW2

from there. I could never find it when I was sober. Looks like catfood,

smells like catfood, but tastes divine.

I reckon I could live without marmite now. I don't want to, but I could if I had to.

[quote user="jond"] I reckon I could live without marmite now. I don't want to, but I could if I had to.
[/quote]

Oh no you couldn't  [;)] You think you could but if it came to it .......... LOLOL

Heinz Sandwich Spread is the work of Satan and evil monstrosity the name of which should never be uttered in civilized company...... OH damn I just did [:$]