France-How to avoid the Brits

"Last week we went to the Brico Depot in Morlaix, we came to leave the shop with a trolley with a couple of large boxes on, the exit doors had been blocked outside by a French mans car and trailer who in turn had been blocked in by a couple of Brits with their car and trailer, when the French man saw us trying to get past he tried to move his car and couldn't because of the Brit car, they could see the situation and deliberatley spent an eternity tying stuff down onto their trailer and messing about, they seemed to think this was funny  I didn't! when I remonstrated with them they just sneered and carried on their arrogant selfish behavior when all they had to do was move their car a few feetSad [:(]"

I take your point Bassman - people I would want to avoid too !

Hey, Tresco, have you been 'evesdropping'  glad to see you here shedding a bit of your light !!

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Tresco"]

I agree people of any nationality can be awful

Especially when they are yelling their heads off in your native tongue!  I was laughing (or rather crying) with you on that point Paul.

... I suppose there is a tendancy to notice those of your own when abroad LOL

Yes, because we automatically understand everything they say and perhaps even their body language.

[/quote]

Exactly LOL

I felt really sorry for the French guy, he kept getting out of his car and lifting his trailer round a bit in an effort to move out of our way but they had blocked him so badly he just couldn't do it[:(]

Once upon a time I would have just put up with it and kept quiet but as I am getting older I feel I am turning into Victor Meldrew [:$]

"Once upon a time I would have just put up with it and kept quiet but as I am getting older I feel I am turning into Victor Meldrew"

There's only one Victor Meldrew on this site - and I say that with affection because I love the programme.  You can guess who !

No, no. my husband is definitely Victor Meldrew (and proud of it)!   Re Brits,  what I really don't like is the assumption that because you are the same nationality you are automatically going to be their friend. helpmeet, translator, sorter out of problems with administration, language and God knows what else.   Nor do I want to spend hours listening to them complaining that they didn't expect France to be so different and have so few facilities for them.  I would like to be friends and spend time with people because I like them, not because I was born speaking the same language.

"I would like to be friends and spend time with people because I like them, not because I was born speaking the same language"

Exactly. 

There seems to be an awful lot of Victor's around !!  My OH would make a great understudy - and I say that with affection !!

[quote user="Pip"]As someone who is looking forward to my move to France I find it quite worrying that  I will not be made welcome by some of those who have gone before me.  During my many visits all over France I have never met any coldness from the French people and will enjoy sharing their culture and, hopefully, their friendship.  I will, however, not turn my back on people because they are British.  I speak as I find  -  good in all.  Until they, personally,  prove me wrong.[/quote]

Hi Pip,

As Neizcthe said " What doesn't kill you makes you stronger", so here I am back on the forum trying to behave!

A few  golden rules 'bout living in France.  Use the local commerces, don't forget market day now & again (not just the summer months[;)])  have a demi at least one a week in the local café (otherwise they'll start thinking you're not  British!) Attend the local "spectacles" whenever you can - don't forget the fete de la musique 21st Juin.  You'll be adored by the local French for wanting to be part of the community. Also make sure they hear you speaking french (however badly[:$]) wherever you wander!

If you want to get on with the local Brits join the badmington club[:O][:|]

Twinkle!

I think that is good advice you gave. You've been here a long time haven't you?

I don't know about the demi in the bar though. It costs a fortune. I don't mean just one demi, I mean the several.....

But hey, we can all do with help spelling the names of plilosplers can't we, and Mr Smith can even make jokes about them:  jokes that means he has some sort of inkling of what they're on about.

I can't do that yet, because I am still struggling through my 'Ladybird' book of philosophers.

You just keep on being our favourite agony aunt my sweetheart!

I know the demi's expensive and quite yucky too!  If you're feeling flush invest in a bottle of Grimbergen (I'm not good good at spelling Belgian beers neeva!)[B]

[quote user="Tag"]And buy your clothes locally too, dump the 4x4, wave your arms. If in the country follow the custom of keeping men and women separate socially.[/quote]

Buy my clothes locally. You must be kidding! Come on tag, lighten up, pleeeeze

I stay within the law in the country I live in, and do enough (mainly washing old mens feet, and smiling) to be OK

[quote user="Hoddy"]" I know Mr Smith, I spelled Neiztche wrong again." .... and badmington ..... Not Mr Smith Hoddy[/quote]

Oh dear! My spelling's really bad, that's 17 years living here!!  My french writing's not much better either feel free to correct me!  Are there 2 d's?[:$] as in Hoddy?

I find the violet quite tricky too.

I don't know whether you twinkly Kat type people read the 'Miracles' thread in the post bag?

A  genuine miracle occurred in it, (around page 5 or 6, after a lot something else), the result of which was that I changed my font, and another member was 'saved'.

I still have a pleasant feeling about that, and it was only yesterday.

As a complete aside (and off-topic ?), there is an excellent site that people familiar with Swindon might find amusing http://www.jasperfforde.com/swindon/7wonders.html (called the “Seven Wonders of Swindon” – you need to look at the detailed descriptions of each of the “Wonders”).

(Sorry you will have to cut and paste the link).

Ian