Whats eating you?

Meg

For the last day or so i  keep getting bitten. I haven't really noticed many mozzies around though, and due to the near arctic conditions have been wearing trousers, but still keep getting munched!

Also i was boasting the other day that i hadn't been bitten for ages, so probably my own fault!

Is it the evil little aoutats already???? The bites are definitely in 'those areas which clothes tend to fit snugly' if you know what i mean.

We arrived last year at the end of August and i think the little beggars didn't bother me until late September, possibly later!

Or am i just a flea bag..............

grrrrrrrrrrr [:@]

Louise

• 2 weeks later...
It probably is aoutats. Pharmacists will sell you a special spray against them, but it's quite expensive and a drag to have to put on every time you go into your garden. I'm afraid you'll just have to keep out of the garden, especially long-grassed areas. Stick to paved areas, terraces, etc. They can't fly, and they get onto you by crawling on from grass, woodpiles etc. If you have to go in the garden, shower thoroughly when you come in and put fresh clothes on. They take a while to get to the spot on your body where they want to bite, and they're not tough, soap and water will get rid of them. You have my sympathy. I've suffered terribly from them in the past.

Yes i think your right. Evil little things.[6] Last year i remember them causing me grief until November.

I was talking to my French neighbour and she seemed to think that they like to live on the weed 'Fat hen'

[img]http://www.crocus.co.uk/graphics/pests/87.jpg[/img]

I can't find any evidence of this on the Internet. But we have loads of it growing in our field [:-))]

Also does anyone know if the cats would be bringing them in?? And would normal flea/tick treatment prevent this??

Louise

Louweezel wrote

"Is it the evil little aoutats already???? The bites are definitely in 'those areas which clothes tend to fit snugly' if you know what i mean."

Having done all those bits the little **** are starting on my feet.

Hoddy

My feet haven't been attacked yet, but i have a bite on my little finger!! It's agony as i can't leave it alone, it itches every time i bend my finger!

I was talking to someone the other day who has been bitten terribly on her feet, they have swollen so much she was wearing slippers and kept having to put her feet in cold water! Time to pack up the sandals methinks!! [:(]

Louise

Had the same problem this week - the worst of the itching lasted about 3 days and the marks are just going down now.  Never had them last year - I think it was when I went blackberrying at the beginning of the week, or possibly plumming in the hedgerow.  I'll definitely shower after the next time!

Cassis,

I was reading the other day that blackberry pickers suffer a lot with getting bitten and it mentioned that they wash with soap but don't rinse it off their arms and legs before they go picking. Can't remember where i saw that though. Somewhere in cyberspace!  I am now not rinsing very much after a shower to see if it helps, also i am using tea tree and lavender soap, which are insect repellents on their own right.

Anything's worth a try! I am fed up of the smell of the spray you get........

Louise

I try my best cassis [;-)] Fortunately is does smell nice, not like a granny smell. (No offence to granny's who smell of lavender but i am a few years off that yet!)

As for lard, could be interesting. I doubt it would be suitable if the weather (ever) gets warmer. You've the sweat issue plus the fact it'll melt and you'll be standing in a lardy puddle! [:D]

But i guess while its cooler.............. you try first though hey?!

Louise