downsizing

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, why not?  I saw the Birmingham town hall on the telly last night and it looked a very impressive building.

Admittedly, I'd have to strain a bit to begin with in order to understand the conversation but, after that, I am sure I'd have a perfectly delightful time in someone's front parlour in Birmingham.

Angling for an invite?  You bet!  Anyone from Birmingham out there, please?

Not me, Pommier.  Lots going for living in Birmingham.

Aside from the town hall, which I've just mentioned, there's the City of Birmingham Orchestra (though admittedly the wonderful and exciting Rattle is no longer there), the University is very nice (as I recall from a seminar there), there is the canal, and the bull ring is gone!

The transport links are fantastic and it is more or less at the heart of the country.

Plus, when you read any of David Lodge's books, which are so amusing and such fun, you know his fictional city is Birmingham. 

What is there not to like?  And I even quite like the accent when they speak with this funny little lilt at the end of phrases and sentences![:D]

Sorry Sweet 17, it wasn't you that I thought was disparaging about Birmingham people. Brummies are a complete mixture from all parts of the UK and more latterly all parts of the world; my grandparents were from Scotland, Wales, Coventry and London.

The city itself has been ripped apart so many times (to the profit of the city councillors?) that it's unrecognisable even to those born there.

The accent isn't attractive, although people from other parts of the UK often think that a Black Country accent is a Birmingham one, anyhow, who can help their accent?

Hahahahahah Pommers, yes, I did go there once, way way back, but it was a thing of the flesh which interested me. That was when I discovered the Brummies, though they may have migrated to Cyprus, Turkey, Majorca, and various other drinking holes by now.

It would be just up your street I suspect.[6]