downsizing

[quote user="P-D de Rouffignac"]  I could chuck everything into the back of a Ford Transit and be away within 20 minutes if I chose. You can end up living in half the space you think you need. [/quote]

Well maybe, here I have to say, 'I'm agin it', I just wouldn't want to; I used be able to load up my trusty carpet bag, chuck it in the boot of a frogeye sprite and be away in 2 minutes, (have you seen how small the boot of a frogeye is!); but then a whole new life washed in and with it memories and a bit of soul. I made sure we had lots of space, and a place for stuff, whether it be a sprite in the garage, pool table in the Dining Room or Jukebox in the hall, and somethings I might be able to live without but would rather not. the joy of my son about to have a son, but beaming when finding all his starwars set, or me finding my record player and LP collection (including dad's Fats Waller 78's and Lullaby of birdland) is one of lifes pleasure. So if someone wants to skip their life well go ahead but don't lose your soul.
As for houses, well the two and three bed don't have the scale and proportion of the 4's and 6's and it's the space to swing a hep cat or Woolybanana that I find difficult to give up, even when completely unneccessary!.[:)]

[quote user="Cendrillon"] shrouds don't come with pockets  [/quote]

Too right but don't they say he who dies with the most toys wins[8-|]

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After all your various comments, I find myself first siding with one camp and then with the other.

I am not your dyed-in-the-wool, full-blown hoarder by any means.  Have given away lots and lots of things in the past.

In France, I find myself beginning to hark back to an earlier generation when bits of string, used jiffy bags, etc get saved.  Partly, I think it's because I am now an OAP and on a fixed income and partly because these things are so ruddy expensive to buy in France.

Take the case of plastic bags:  used to discard the small ones and use the carrier bags for bin liners.  Once I moved here and realised that I'd have to buy all my own plastic carriers and bin liners, I started to "save" them.

Same thing with empty toilet rolls:  once I realised that a firelighter pushed into one is very good for starting fires in the woodburners, I started collecting empty toilet rolls!

I am horrified to find myself hoarding the plastic bags that sweet breakfast rolls come in, elastic bands, string bags that potatoes are sold in, old tee-shirts to cut up and use as rags, etc etc

I think, OMG, I am turning into my mother!!!

Er - well, personally, i don't save it.

Sort of family joke really.

It's just one of those sayings that seems to have been handed down from father to son and OH quotes it regularly.

He's from oop north you understand.

He also is fond of "You were lucky... when I were a lad...............zzzzz"

RH that was my grandmother! All the bits of string were beautifully tied and the label on the box said 'bouts de ficelle trop petit pour etre utiles'.

I went to an antique dealer the other day, and he said nobody wanted beautiful antique furniture - only IKEA would do. I just couldn't throw away good antique furniture, delicate embroidery and fabulous linen.

My mother on the other hand threw some amazing things away - hand made lace by the box full, boxes of antique postcards and stamps, Horny train sets, a magic lantern with all the slides- the list is endless when they downsized - perhaps the reason why I won't!

Hold onto the furniture, the tide is turning. It's the recession, people somehow like more thngs round them and don't want too keep replacing furniture, they are beginning to go for stuff that lasts.

Don't forget everytime someone 'chucks out the chinz' whats left is worth more.[:)]

Swissie talks about "Horny train sets...."[:D][:-))]

Swissie, I love you dearly so don't be offended, OK? I laughed my head off and still can't stop grinning.  But, I thought I'd point it out first before Wooly or someone else equally rude gets a chance to come on here!

As for the downsizing, yes, I think I'd still do it but I have now rejected the house that OH likes and that initially prompted this thread.  It would have been a downsize too far..........

The conclusion is yes, downsize by all means, but not if you really hate the very thought of it. 

[quote user="Swissie"]RH that was my grandmother! All the bits of string were beautifully tied and the label on the box said 'bouts de ficelle trop petit pour etre utiles'.
I went to an antique dealer the other day, and he said nobody wanted beautiful antique furniture - only IKEA would do. I just couldn't throw away good antique furniture, delicate embroidery and fabulous linen.

My mother on the other hand threw some amazing things away - hand made lace by the box full, boxes of antique postcards and stamps, Horny train sets, a magic lantern with all the slides- the list is endless when they downsized - perhaps the reason why I won't!
[/quote]

Swissie, your mother was a Philistine! Imagine anyone getting rid of a Hornby train set. My parents did that to my Trix Twin, gave the set to a jobbing builder when it was worth a fortune. Our relationship was never the same again!!

Aaarrgghh Sweet - a typo of course- oooops. Thanks for protecting me from derision and worse. LOL. I didn't realise that your question was linked to a specific property - I just told you honestly how we (both, and we are lucky we agree) feel. Talking to the antique dealer the other day, I felt so sad that families just sell heirlooms by the lorry full- furniture and other 'treasures' that have been passed on the family for generations. We bought a 16C tudor style and very ornate oak chest from him the other day, as well as a Louis l5th beautifully carved folding card playing table - for very little money. Great. We often stay in a 2 bed apartment with little storage in the UK - we absolutely love being there, right in the centre of the little town - great boutiques, shops, pubs, restaurants- but WE KNOW that it would drive us crazy after more than 3 weeks.

I really, really hope you will soon find THE dream home for both of you. Perhaps it will just 'happen' when you are not longer so hard - we love our house so much, and fate just put it in our way. My whole life has always taken twists and turns due to 'fate' - including finding my dear OH at Clapham Junction!  Perhaps all will fall into place 'just like that' after St Jacques. Amitiés.

Oh, Swissie, don't talk about finding H at Clapham Junction as though he were a lost parcel![:D]  Though I dare say you would both be lost parcels without the other!

Yes, indeed, I am not too wound up about the househunting because I am sure that everything will just fall into place.

The Compostelle, yes, that's my main focus really and the househunting will tick along in the background. 

On the plus side, OH and I are seeing a lot of places that we would never have visited otherwise.  It's not as though we have no home to live in and it's not as though we hate where we live.

You know how it is, Swiss, you have a feeling that there is a place "somewhere a place for us" (like the song in Westside Story) and I am determined to find that place![:D] 

And you will - I am sure of it. All good things come to those who wait. BTW I was definitely the lost parcel at Clapham Junction Easter 70 - on the wrong train and he 'saved' me. LOL-  imagine though, I'd come for Jimmy Hendrix and ended up with him!

A bit late coming in here, SW17 - but thought I'd tell you that we downsized drastically in the 90s. From a large detached family house to a tiny modern 1 and a half bedroom end of terrace.

Since then we've moved 4 more times and seem to have acquired even more belongings than before [:(]

I often think about how much money we would have saved if we had just stayed put.

OH, Pat, you have just confirmed what I have said.  Downsize by all means but not so drastically that you feel bereft.

Don't get me wrong, we do not have family heirlooms that need preserving but, even so, some sticks of furniture that you have had for years and years and make you feel at home have got to be somehow incorporated into your downsized new place.

Anywhere, I have told the sellers, in the nicest possible terms that their place is not for us.  Hard thing to do but I just know that if I went there, I would be so unhappy that I'd definitely be slitting my own throat in less than 6 months.

I believe that we have at least 2 more moves in our lifetime:  one more place that we love and then the downsizing that would mean we have virtually given up and are waiting to go to the place with the mansions or whatever the description in the bible is! (in my father's house, there are many mansions, sic)

Woolie, been married to that Knight in shining Armour nearly 40 years - so he is definitely not Hendrix (saw him at the Isle of Wight - and it was the end of him!).

Somebody here suggested recently that I do not work - but surely I must work very well, as OH has not moved on to a younger model. lol.

So glad you did what your instincts told you Sweet - you WILL find it - probably when you've stopped looking. No more moves for us - when the place gets too big, we will get help, then if need to, live-in help. Enough space for a family to join us here. Or we would get together with a few more we get on really well with, and split the place into

flatlets, have a communal room for meals and entertainment, company, music, when we feel like it - and staff to look after us, cook, etc - would be much cheaper than an OAP home, we could hire and fire as we please, keep costs down - choose the type of entertainment we want- have a minibus and go on brilliant trips and visits. Be in charge of our own destiny- and living in Switzerland all join EXIT and be in charge of the ultimate move too.

Oh, Swissie, you have the right idea though I am laughing my head off at some of your suggesitons.

When the time comes, I will join you as I can't think of anything better than to bump yourself off when you feel it is right!

In the meantime, I hope we can all live life to the full!  I am going soon to be asking you about your canoe as I will deffo move to a place where canoing is not confined to the young and fit![:D]

You can but try Woolie - take Gemima- she's bound to attract some attention (BUT make sure you leave Randy at home or you have NO chance). Bonne chance. For pretty boys though, you need Clapham Common apparently (if I remember well the Sun and a famous politician some years back..). But we digress.

Must say though it was easy then for us, I was 19 and he was 24 and were in our prime... not saying that you are not, of course. xx lol