Getting old gracefully or not?

Gastines

[quote user="Chrisb"]

I have never understood why women want boob enhancement - as has been said, they just act as a shelf to spill your food down, they are uncomfortable when riding my horse, and they make me look bigger than I am, because people's eyes are drawn to them and there they stop, not noticing that I am a good 2 sizes smaller on my bottom half!!! Plus the fact that at 45, gravity is rapidly taking over.............do you remember the pencil test when you were younger to see if you had pert boobs?? Well I could hide the whole pencil case there now, and probably the cartable as well!!!
I have no idea how to dress well any more - live in jeans and T-shirts in the Summer and fleeces in the Winter, but what else do you wear in the heart of the countryside to walk the dogs, muck out the horses, and ferry the kids about? I decided that my blonde (bottle!) hair was too ageing, so went for a 'chestnut with deep red tones'...........and, you've guessed it, this being France, came out looking like an explosion in a red-paint factory..........the builders reckoned that in the sunlight my head looked as if it was on fire!! I am gradually deepening the colour, but people's eyes are still widening in astonishment when they see me, and I am not allowed to get out of the car when dropping the boys off anywhere!!!

Chris

[/quote]

But I thought red hair was the norm in France.  There are lots of trendy grannies with that colour too.  Not a colour for your age group.  I agree the bottle blonde is defo ageing. Try highlights.

Georgina

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL !

I have coloured my hair on a regular basis ever since I was 14 yrs old. We have a family wedding next weekend and I was discussing my hairdresser appointments with my mother

Mother - Why is it such a long apointment ?

Me I having my colour re done

Mother I didn't know you had your hair coloured !!!

Is that a compliment to my hairdresser ???? Or is it because my sister has her hair coloured in a similar tone that she is convinced we are both natural blondes ( BTW I was a natural blonde, when I was three !)[:)][:)]

Yes, that's what I should have done - gone for a natural 'can't tell I've coloured my hair' look........I, too, have coloured my hair since I was 14 - been every colour under the sun, but never 'head on fire' red!!! I am off to browse the hair colourant aisle in Leclerc's before my Mum arrives for a visit on Friday!!!

Chris

I have reached that time of life where being a natural blonde provokes comments like "Who does your colour?" (from my hairdresser!!) or, oddly "Your hair is so dark! Mine was never that dark, I don't know where you get it from. Why don't you leave it your natural colour?" (from my mum). I've developed some rather attractive highlights recently. On close examination, these are grey. I haven't coloured my hair for at least 5 years. With comments like these I'm now too confused to know where to start [8-)]

I realised I was showing my age when a sweet little girl said to me 'I love the colour of your hair, you look just like my grandma'. Time to grow old disgracefully !  How come my mind and heart still think they're 25 years old and my body knows it's 55 ? [8-)]

None of those, sausage !  Cast your mind back to when you were in the UK and remember that grandma's have grey or white hair !  (Sorry to all those who are brave enough to use a colourant, it never comes out the right colour on me - purple instead of auburn and burnt orange instead of blond  -  strange hair I'm afraid !)  Mine's a bit of a mixture called salt and pepper - more salt than pepper !  [:-))]

[quote user="Pip"]Sorry to all those who are brave enough to use a colourant, it never comes out the right colour on me - purple instead of auburn and burnt orange instead of blond  -  strange hair I'm afraid ![/quote]

A lot of French ladies seem to have your hair type, Pip. [:D]

Didn't recognise you for a moment, Christine.  If Pip's hair colour goes all wrong, she could try something from our new range of fashionable woollen hats.  Here is the 'Viking Chicken' from our winter 2006 collection, which can cover a multitude of sins.

[img]http://www.coolabah.com/ausblog/marie/vikingchicken.jpg[/img]

[:)]Pip Have you tryed henna, it covers grey very well, and dosnt wash out to that tired see through colour, the down side is its a bugger to put on and I have to leave it on with my head wrapped in cling film for 8 hours( the longer you leave it the stronger the colour.) Also while on with the cling film around your head if you keep it warm with a hair dryer it with speed up the colourant. The upside is no chemicals and a more natural colour, and it dosnt give that all over solid colour which makes it look real, I use the brown and then in the winter add half a packet of red for that winter glow!!! and I redo it about every 10 weeks

I'm thinking of undergoing a personality change when I  give up the day job to move to France. How do you undergo the change (not THAT change) from bottle brown to going grey without having that tell-tale half inch of greyish root. 

I've even considered having it cropped and dyed the day before I leave the UK for good.

BTW - my ex-hairdresser in the UK wanted to colour my hair 'French red' a couple of years ago - hence he is my EX--hairdresser ......

Someone suggested to me to gradually use the various shades of ash blonde instead of brown. The contrast with the roots isn't so obvious and according to this person " as you get older the strong colours are too harsh for your skin tones." ahem. Pat.

Try highlights, in 2 or 3 different colours - lighter and/or brighter than your natural colour. Roots don't show so badly.

Re makeovers - try the scarf trick. Get a 2 or 3 other women. No make up. 1 sits in from of a mirror and you drape different colour fabrics around her neck. The one sitting in front of the mirror will notice the difference that colours make but those observing will be more aware how some colours can deaden and some lift your skin tones. The end result is that people will say how nice you look rather than how nice your dress etc looks.

Sue M

A young colleague of mine has purple hair - reminds me of the earlier reference to the poem - I wonder what her poem would be - When I grow old I shall wear ... black????

I might try the highlights and lighter colour, thanks - need a few tips from the eldest daughter who is a hairdresser but lives too far away to help me[:(] (Although I believe last time she saw my hair she said I was beyond help! - That reminds me, I really must do away with that spare bedroom before she wants to visit next [;-)])

There's nothing wrong with grey hair per se!  I went on the slippery slope when Oldest Daughter was training and needed a model - good old Mum got roped in - then Middle Daughter also went into the same business and needed ......... well, you know the rest.  From then on I haven't been able to grow grey gracefully and now I'm trying to find a way to do it without looking too shocking. I suppose I could just dye the lot grey when I move but I think the OH might have a nasty shock in the morning (and I might frighten the cats too - far more serious!). 

But I am so looking forward to getting away from the day job and 6 mile journey that takes me anything from 20 mintues to 2 hours every day .......  And people ask me if I'm going to miss living in the UK!