Lunch in Paris

Coco

OK, so now I know he's got to go away for a couple of weeks to the south of France and I have to stop worrying about big spiders stalking me while he's away.  My OH has to catch a train from Caen to Paris St Lazare next Sunday morning.  He will arrive in Paris at 11.11.  He then has to catch a train from Paris Gare de Lyon at 13.25 to Nimes.  Can anyone tell me where he can get something decent to eat?  Should he hang aroun dGare de Lazarre or go to Gare de Lyon?  Are the station restaurants OK or can he get something just outside?  Any advice very welcome.  We're not often parted and are a bit useless without each other. [:$]

Personally, I'd suggest he go directly to Gare de Lyon; that way he's there and doesn't have to worry about being late.

I've only had breakfast at a café called "Au Cadran" which is just across the street from the Gare de Lyon, but that has always been fine.  I think there's a restaurant in the station called Le Train Bleu that is supposed to be okay, but I haven't eaten there personally.

I understand about you not liking to be separated.  Mr. Possum and I hate it as well.  He has to go up to Paris for business now and again, and it's too complicated for us to both go.  I always just mope around hearing noises!

PG

I just want to offer a word of support re the stalking spiders - we have had our first frost here so the mega-spiders who have not made it into the house so far will have frozen their legs off outside. Dommage. If you go around the rooms searching for webby holes and then apply vacuum cleaner nozzle, you should get the rest of them. Our spider visits have diminished considerably this week. Getting round to blocking up all the gaps around the edges of the doors has had an effect on that though. [:P]

[quote user="Alexis"]

They eat flies so must be encouraged.

[/quote]

To enable that I must accept cobwebs. The size of our spiders are such that the resulting cobwebs would give Indiana Jones pause for thought. Death to all spiders who invade my personal space. [:-))]

>>> Accepting cobwebs is part of the zen of France. Perhaps you could spend time contemplating their savage symmetrical beauty, and see their essence as the life-force expression of a small but perfectly evolved creature.<<<

They really are, aren't they?

I have been training my MIL for nigh on 27 years now, on this wonderful art of admiring cobwebs, especially when these are inside the house...

I am so kind to these little critters that I even have a special ladder for them to get out of the bath should they accidently fall in it. I have 2 big ones which regularly fall in and I have christened them Fred and Ginger!!

Very low cost pets they make!..... and I'll wack the tête de loup over whoever tries to murder my pets!...

>>>.......  My OH has to catch a train from Caen to Paris St Lazare next Sunday morning.  He will arrive in Paris at 11.11.  He then has to catch a train from Paris Gare de Lyon at 13.25 to Nimes.  Can anyone tell me where he can get something decent to eat? <<<

Le Train Bleu at Gare de Lyon if you want pampering. Can be a little pricey, but the decor is fabulous! and the food is good.

If not there is another place on the station concourse, called the Méditerranée I seem to remember, more of a normal caf/bistro... and a few more places outside the station.

St Amour .............

Probably not enough time for a proper lunch between arr and dep time in Paris - perhaps best to 'snack' at the Gare de Lyon and then eat properly down here.

Is he staying in the centre of Nimes?  If so, could suggest a civilised place (which I'm pretty sure is open on a Sun evening.) 

[quote user="catalpa"][quote user="Alexis"]

They eat flies so must be encouraged.

[/quote]

To enable that I must accept cobwebs. The size of our spiders are such that the resulting cobwebs would give Indiana Jones pause for thought. Death to all spiders who invade my personal space. [:-))]
[/quote]

Catalpa, have you lost your senses?

Indiana Jones' problem was SNAKES, not spiders, or their webs.

Sorry St Amour for being off topic. I love the way you love and care about your OH, but it had to be said.

Thanks Tresco - at the risk of sounding really, really sickly, he is my world! [:$]  Anyway, lunch problem is sorted now as he is catching a later train so not leaving home til 1pm so we'll just have a traditional English breakfast instead!  I can't believe how quickly he can get to Nimes - travel time from Caen seems to be about 6 hours!!

Ian - would be interested to know of any decent restos for lunches (plats du jour) near the CHU caremeau(??) in Nimes (seems to be on the junction of Ave des Francais and Avenue Kennedy and indeed evenings.  He and his colleague have now found B&B in Congenies and will get evening meals there most evenings but it they're there for two weeks the lady may like a few nights off - I know I do when we have people staying for that long!

One more thing, is the station enormous?  Is it in a horrible one-way system or anything like that?  Any ideas of a good place for them to meet each other - the other guy will be picking my husband up by car at 8.30 on Sunday evening.

Sorry to keep duplicating these questions all over the forum but I don't know where I will get the best answer now!  Wish I'd only posted in one spot now!

PS  I've now got a neighbour to bring logs in from the woodshed for me - another "out of bounds" area - too many scarey creepy crawlies to go in there - especially after dark [:-))]  Oh God I do wish I wasn't so girlie - I'd never survive on my own!